Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Bad analogies (1 Viewer)

Revekka

After seeing a post on Facebook of bad analogies written by high school students, I decided to come up with a few of my own.

- The last breath escaped her like air from a balloon. (Taken from my comedy poem "How to Write a Loss Poem")

- Dogs' ears are so soft like fluffy pink cotton candy.

- He was attracted to her like a magnet to a fridge door.

- She was attracted to him like dust to a vacuum cleaner.

- The leaves fell from the autumn trees like fur shed from a dog.

- The morning sun rose like someone turning the dimmer on a lamp.

- The sails flapped in the wind like bedsheets on the clothesline hanging up to dry.

- The lights hummed in the background like a fish tank pump in the living room.

- The buildings stood in the skyline like french fries sticking out of a ketchup cup.

Got any to share?

JosephB

Too bad the debate forum is closed. If you were looking for bad analogies -- that sure was the place to find them.

Kevin

WF Veterans
Too bad the debate forum is closed. If you were looking for bad analogies -- that sure was the place to find them.
Hey, I resemble that remark.

He walked as if chewing on eggshells, blowing bubbles with guns; a three leg-ged Hopalong Cassidy.

Last edited:

beanlord56

I was going to use this in Ex Tenebris Lux, but found something much better to use: The light is like a magnet.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
That, Gumby, is rather a good analogy. I take it he folded easily, in the wrong places, and was useless afterwards.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
That, Gumby, is rather a good analogy. I take it he folded easily, in the wrong places, and was useless afterwards.

That may be true, and I can see that, too. :)

(Though, my experience with cheap ironing boards have been that they don't want to fold properly and stick, plus make the most unpleasant metal on metal screech in the process.)

Bruno Spatola

Not an analogy, but I remember someone at school reading out their story in English class. All I recall is the bit that made me snort with laughter, plus everyone turning around to stare at me in bemusement.

"No, I don't want you to go dad!" he screamed autistically.

Yep. That's quite remarkable, I think. Only me and the teacher were laughing.

IanMGSmith

:D ...all so funny, reminds me of this post in "favourite jokes"

really-bad-analagies-written-by-high-school-students.jpg