Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Back after a long hiatus (1 Viewer)

voltigeur

WF Veterans
I was on this forum maybe a 3 or 4 years ago and had to take a break. I found myself here writing about writing and not actually writing.

I finished my first novel and wrapping up the last few scenes of my second. And already researched my and started my third.

One of the local groups that I joined has a catch phrase "I finished my novel now what?"

So here to help anyway I can and looking for "Now what?"

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I was on this forum maybe a 3 or 4 years ago and had to take a break. I found myself here writing about writing and not actually writing.

I finished my first novel and wrapping up the last few scenes of my second. And already researched my and started my third.

One of the local groups that I joined has a catch phrase "I finished my novel now what?"

So here to help anyway I can and looking for "Now what?"
Now what?
My first novel was an autobiography that addressed some past demons.
My second novel came about when readers asked - what happened next.
My third through seventh novels (the Extinction series) was an idea that had been bumping around inside my head for years.
My eighth novel (due out in August this year) came about via a discussion with a friend about the nature of good and evil, and if redemption was possible.
My WIP was inspired by a member here, who suggested I write something about Silicon Valley (it will be a techno-thriller).

My point is that there's always a next thing you want to write about. Stories just show up, and demand to be told.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I messed with my notifications and realised I'd turned off that little bell thingy that shows which threads you've engaged with, so now I'm running around trying to find anyone I've missed (deep breath). Welcome back ... although that doesn't sound right considering you was likely here before I joined. Should have gone with 'welcome to the forum'. Oh, well, too late now.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
voltigeur, What's your novel about? :) (Sometimes it takes the site Supervisor to straighten these guys out!)

I USED to do a lot of 'writing about writing' here, too. Then they put me on staff and now I do a lot of writing about site business. LOL

Either way, it's a nice outlet when I need a break from writing (or as I'm currently doing, plotting). When I participate in a discussion on a writing subject, it often helps me to focus my thoughts concerning that subject, and my writing benefits. Sometimes I can help a fellow member out, and sometimes, I'm the one drawing inspiration. Win-Win!

voltigeur

WF Veterans
If you were alive in November of 1983 you almost died but probably don't know it. My forst novel is about whay that didn't happen. It follows guerilla fighters in El Salvador, naval aviators in the skys of the North Atlantic and Pacific, spys all over the world and politions in Washington DC and Moscow.

Each story arch drives the paranoia of Reagan and Andropov. Making moves that almost end civilation as we know it.

Worth trying on an agent?

When i was here last they tried to get me to to do the moderator and welcome wagon for the site. While i was flattered I wanted to get my first novel done.

Wrapping up my second and the not so fun work starts on that one in a couple of weeks.

Joker

If you were alive in November of 1983 you almost died but probably don't know it. My forst novel is about whay that didn't happen. It follows guerilla fighters in El Salvador, naval aviators in the skys of the North Atlantic and Pacific, spys all over the world and politions in Washington DC and Moscow.

Each story arch drives the paranoia of Reagan and Andropov. Making moves that almost end civilation as we know it.

Worth trying on an agent?

When i was here last they tried to get me to to do the moderator and welcome wagon for the site. While i was flattered I wanted to get my first novel done.

Wrapping up my second and the not so fun work starts on that one in a couple of weeks.

Absolutely. That one is a great untold story, even more than the Russian sub guys during the Cuban Missile Crisis.