Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Autonomy, freedom and omnipotence definitions (1 Viewer)

Rebeca

Hi!, Please, help with my blog's 1st essay. http://my-growth-space.yolasite.com/

Author Jorge Bucay defines autonomy as ones ability to establish, manage and systemize our own norms, rules and habits. He also points out that freedom and omnipotence definitions are frequently used as synonyms whereas omnipotence is a Godly business and freedom a human limited value. Finally Bucay’s definition of freedom is the ability to choose among options while been responsible of the consequences of the decision. The importance of these definitions won’t hit you in the face right away; however, it is of personal safety concern to master these valuable capabilities.

Philosophical approaches to tough definitions as the previously stated, in my opinion, doesn’t make them easier to understand, however, philosophical points of view help us to easily recognize them as important parts of our life. This author goes back and forth, arguing and counter-arguing why people very often misunderstand the definition of freedom, as the ability to do anything one desires, for example flying or getting the perfect partner; but at the end concludes that freedom consist on choosing either doing right or doing wrong, yet recognizing and accepting the physical and moral consequences of the act.

Choosing what is the ideal option for one is the authentic freedom. The ability to say no to what others seem to force to be the truth. Mass media, my family, my partner, society in general, religion, shouldn’t define my rules. It’s not responsible to say: “no because the bible say so…”, “because my mom suggested so…”, “because everybody does that…”, “because it’s God’s will..”. Men and women have been made free, women and men born free, humanity is free to decide on their destiny as a community. We can’t expect to always make the best decisions in our lives, but we have to make them ours
Studies say that committed people are the happiest portion of the population while singles live less joyful lives. Yet, most people say to be happier in situations that make them feel as free man and women. Author of Stumbling on Happiness (book from which I took this peace of research) doesn’t explain this phenomena; it is simply a fact. Nevertheless, regarding commitment as a decision made and understood beforehand bearing the responsibility of the vow, illustrates clearly Bucay’s definition of freedom and in this way is explained why committed people is happier than supposedly free people.
Strangely at this point we are convinced that freedom is important, but we really don’t understand plainly why. The next question would be: “Why is it important to be authentically free?”

Rebeca

Title, coherence, unity... and grammar

Dear Rebeca: The title is ok, but only if it were the first paragraph title. Regarding unity: it's not clear what's the theme of the essay, and it seems that every paragraph talks about something different. Also, you can improve coherence by learning a couple more transitional words. I now you are trying really hard to learn English composition; I'm sure your blog will soon look as something readable. I'd like to say that taking in consideration your engineering profile and the fact that you aren't a native speaker you are giving good start. Congratulations on your brand new baby!... I love you, :p Rebeca