Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Authors/Books that have made you cry (1 Viewer)

Minka

It doesn't seem anybody's done this before, but what are the books that have managed to move you to tears?
I don't cry easily when reading, and the only author to have ever made me cry a lot is Philip Pullman in 'Northern Lights,' 'The Amber Spyglass,' and 'Shadow in the North.' I think I also cried a bit in a couple of books by Malorie Blackman.

stupid_dream

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck is the only book where I've cried, but The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon was very close at making me cry.

Lanex

1st To Die brought me close to tears because of how involved you get with the lead character.

kerr511

In the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb, I cried when Nighteyes died, that was very well written. I also got all emotional right through the end of Fools Fate (the last book of the trilogy)

Stewart

Not exactly cry, but it did elicit sadness in me, although others I know have cried to it, and that would be A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving.

N

neonstorm

Kane said:
I teared up reading The Dark Tower, when Jake and Eddie died. Sniff. Sniff.
Absolutley, was about to post the same think except...

*SPOILERS*

You forgot Oy! :cry:

You almost get the warm and fuzzies when the they're (sort of) back together in the end...

Ryan

Rob

Not actually moved to tears, but a couple of years ago I got choked at the end of Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan. Today I felt moved by something in Philip Roth's The Dying Animal. Other than those, not much.

Cheers,
Rob

Short Tooth

Compulsion by Shaun Hutson- Absolutely touching the way he writes about the elderly residents at a care home.

quarterscot

My body's set up wrong for me to cry at anything. But Arundhati Roy did her damn best to break that rule with The God Of Small Things

Blossom

I've read so many sad books it's unbelievable. I used to cry at anything but now ... not so much. A few that stand out as making me cry are:

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
Feed by M.T. Anderson
Firesong by William Nicholson

Queen_Bee

I cried several times reading Roots by Alex Haley. I usually don't cry over books, but some of the stuff that happened was too horrible.

L

L.A.Matthews

No book has made me cry, although The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea is a very sad book.

heatherlouise

books that made me cry are
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck which although i haven't read the book yet we watched the DVD yesturday in English and tears were rolling down my face and i am possitive i will cry aswell once we read it.
Harry Potter and The Half Blooded Prince by J.K.Rowling i cried right at the end when Dumbledore died :cry:
Hanibal by Thomas Harris. i thought that was really sad, but in a romantic/wierd way. anyway, once i finished reading it it was like 2 in the morning and i was meant to be in bed (i read in bed with the light of landing light to aid me) and i just started crying my eyes out. i had to go downsatairs to sit on my dad's knee :cry: and i told him i had had a bad dream, hahaha
Heather