Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

"Ask the Dust" (1 Viewer)

E

Edgewise

Has anyone here read "Ask the Dust" by John Fante? It ranks in my top ten list, for most poignant novels ever.

Can I get an amen?

E

Edgewise

An aspiring author has recently moved to L.A.'s Bunker Hill district (taking off from where its prequel left off), where he struggles in his daily existence. The book takes off when he meets a Mexican girl in a bar, who he eventually falls in love with. Things are complicated by a number of factors, involving an older, lonely woman, the bartender of the establishment where the Mexican girl works, and the authors alcoholic neighbor.

And that's my poorly written synopsis of the novel, composed before bedtime.

SevenWritez

I just read some reviews for it over at Amazon and it seems to be a great read. I'll go check it out. Thanks for bringing my attention to it, as I'm in desperate need of a good novel (I've gotten 3/4 of the way through four books in the last month and just quit. After Juno Diaz's novel, everything else feels stale).

Pete_C

WF Veterans
I recently acquired a copy of the Bandini Quartet (Wait Until Spring Bandini, The Road to Los Angeles, Ask the Dust, Dreams from Bunker Hill) and I have to give Fante a seriously big thumbs up!

E

Edgewise

I recently acquired a copy of the Bandini Quartet (Wait Until Spring Bandini, The Road to Los Angeles, Ask the Dust, Dreams from Bunker Hill) and I have to give Fante a seriously big thumbs up!

I am going about reading the series in an odd way. I first read "The Road to L.A.", then read "Ask the Dust", plan to read "Dreams from Bunker Hill" next, and will then end where it all began, with "Wait Until Spring". I am dissapointed for one reason though...how can any of the books in the series possibly top "Ask the Dust"?

T

tatyana

I haven't finish reading it, but I really enjoy reading the book.
The way how the story was written was really cool. :4stars: