Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

As Winter Begins (Bilinggual) (1 Viewer)

fanghuzhai

时临冬至夜深沉,揉面搓皮剁馅勤。灯下孑孓一老朽,屏间绚烂尽佳人。

冠情愁叹归家路,际遇悲吟浪迹春。水饺盘中飘美味,他乡聊解寂哀心。

Deep at night as winter began I made

The dough, the wrappers and the filling.

A solitary elder under the light’s shade,

The beauties on the screen watching.

The home return hope is killed by the virus.

I lament the ill luck of lovelessness.

Only the dumplings‘ fragrance

Can comfort my heart of loneliness

TL Murphy

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
This is a strong poem. I would love to hear a recording of you reading the Chinese. I would be interested to hear the sound.

It would be more direct and therefor stronger in this minimal poem to say “ my lonely heart” instead of “my heart of lonliness”

I love the phrasing of this line “

“The home return hope is killed by the virus.”​

if you delete the word “is” the line will echo the structure of the previous line which also eliminates the verb to be (are):

“The beauties on the screen (are) watching.​
The home return hope is killed by the virus.”​