Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Are WRITERS' CONFERENCES worth-while? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyboy_esq

I'm going to my 1st writers' conference next month in Houston (Indiepalooza 2017), and I'm hoping to learn a lot of useful information about book writing/publishing and meet some local authors. (I'm attending this conference for free b/c I'm one of the guest speakers). I've never attended a writers' conference before, so I'm curious if they are usually worth-while. What do you think?

Last edited:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I'm going to my 1st writers' conference next month in Houston (Indiepalooza 2017), and I'm hoping to learn a lot of useful information about book writing/publishing and meet some local authors. (I'm attending this conference for free b/c I'm one of the guest speakers). I've never attended a writers' conferences before, so I'm curious if they are usually worth-while. What do you think?

I've not done conferences, but I have gone to workshops hosted by the RWA and those have been totally worthwhile. To hear from authors who are on and just come from the frontlines of the writing world, if one gets the chance, grab it with both hands.

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
I'm going to my 1st writers' conference next month in Houston (Indiepalooza 2017), and I'm hoping to learn a lot of useful information about book writing/publishing and meet some local authors. (I'm attending this conference for free b/c I'm one of the guest speakers). I've never attended a writers' conferences before, so I'm curious if they are usually worth-while. What do you think?
I have been to two workshops held in the local library, it was good to hang out with other writers and the tutors were very helpful. I am waiting for the next one. Just be careful it isn't a sales pitch in disguise.
Good luck.
BC

Jack of all trades

I've not been to any writers conferences, but, in my former life, I attended conferences. I imagine the writers ones are similar.

It's hit or miss, whether the conference will be worthwhile. If you have a lot of experience, more than most attendees, you will probably be mentoring more than learning. On the other hand, if you are less experienced, you'll learn lots. There's really no way to predict which way it will go (or in between, even).

That leaves the people. If you love being part of a large group like that, you'll probably have a good time. If you find such large crowds draining, and if all you're doing is giving the help, you might wish you had stayed home.

That said, this sounds exciting. You're a guest speaker, so congrats! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Mikeyboy_esq

Thanks for all the feedback. When I was first asked to be a speaker at this conference, I was excited b/c of the potential exposure/sales for my books. But then I discovered I can attend the rest of the conference for free, and so that is why I was asking if it was worthwhile to attend the conference (rather than just show up for my speech and then leave). I think I will attend the whole thing (at least on the day I'm scheduled to speak) and learn as much as I can. I also look forward to (hopefully) meeting lots of local authors too.

Jack of all trades

Thanks for all the feedback. When I was first asked to be a speaker at this conference, I was excited b/c of the potential exposure/sales for my books. But then I discovered I can attend the rest of the conference for free, and so that is why I was asking if it was worthwhile to attend the conference (rather than just show up for my speech and then leave). I think I will attend the whole thing (at least on the day I'm scheduled to speak) and learn as much as I can. I also look forward to (hopefully) meeting lots of local authors too.

I don't know how large your conference is, but some are very large. You might want to plan on being well rested and well fed when you arrive in the morning. Not a day for a cup of coffee on the way out the door.

I'd also take a small notebook and pen. That way you can jot down contact info for those that don't have business cards. If you have business cards, take some.

I hope you have a good time. Tell us all about afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.