Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Are Novel Length Requirements Different For Indie Publishing? (2 Viewers)

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I'm taking a year off and writing short stories to hone my craft but after that I'll be gunning for the novel market. I'll be aiming for getting a publishing deal in the traditional way, but I'm nearly 63 and don't feel I can mess about taking years to get that publishing deal. The Indie scene seems to have taken off and so I think that's clearly the way to go for someone like myself, and I just wondered, if you self publish, are you still expected to write a certain amount of words for a particular genre or type of book (novel/novella) or is there more leeway?

Selorian

Patron
I'm no expert, but I do participate in many Indie Publishing groups and from what I have seen, yes, there is much more leeway. Of course, there are still expectations for different genres and length of a full novel, but some of that can be overlooked simply by your pricing strategy. If you are writing a series, the length of time between releases can also play a factor. I know of plenty of authors making a living selling 30-40K length books as well as those who do the same with standard genre specific length ones. That is the beauty of going the Indie route, you can fine tune until you find what works the best for you and your work.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I'm no expert, but I do participate in many Indie Publishing groups and from what I have seen, yes, there is much more leeway. Of course, there are still expectations for different genres and length of a full novel, but some of that can be overlooked simply by your pricing strategy. If you are writing a series, the length of time between releases can also play a factor. I know of plenty of authors making a living selling 30-40K length books as well as those who do the same with standard genre specific length ones. That is the beauty of going the Indie route, you can fine tune until you find what works the best for you and your work.

Thanks very much. :)

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I'm taking a year off and writing short stories to hone my craft but after that I'll be gunning for the novel market. I'll be aiming for getting a publishing deal in the traditional way, but I'm nearly 63 and don't feel I can mess about taking years to get that publishing deal. The Indie scene seems to have taken off and so I think that's clearly the way to go for someone like myself, and I just wondered, if you self publish, are you still expected to write a certain amount of words for a particular genre or type of book (novel/novella) or is there more leeway?

The short answer is that as an Indie you can write books of any length, format, subject, or genre, that you please. You can leave off the page headers, publish in Calibri font*, and use 3rd-rate artwork for the cover. I have books that range in length from 50k to 235k. I have one book that almost sold as a pocket book (6x4), and another that borders on being too long for a print book. In one case, I even combined 2 books into one eBook and sold them for double the price as a single (I think they're like 400k words...?)

Yep, as an Indie you can do whatever you want, so long as you can sell it.

*Do not use Calibri unless you are publishing a children's book...or the Necronomicon.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
The short answer is that as an Indie you can write books of any length, format, subject, or genre, that you please. You can leave off the page headers, publish in Calibri font*, and use 3rd-rate artwork for the cover. I have books that range in length from 50k to 235k. I have one book that almost sold as a pocket book (6x4), and another that borders on being too long for a print book. In one case, I even combined 2 books into one eBook and sold them for double the price as a single (I think they're like 400k words...?)

Yep, as an Indie you can do whatever you want, so long as you can sell it.

*Do not use Calibri unless you are publishing a children's book...or the Necronomicon.

Great. Cheers for the clarification. I'll be spending more time in this section come next Feb!

ScifiWriter

I have both published the traditional way and gone indie. My publisher had some very exacting demand for size and having the book edited before he would publish it. Then he did nothing to advertise nor did he promote my books at all.
AS an indie, I can determine my own fate and publish what I please. EXCEPT now I have to edit my novels until my eyes bleed, work many hours designing my own covers, design ebook and print book interiors, work with KDP until my brain explodes trying to suit their format requirements for hard covers, and figure out their subset of html to format my book descriptions. But now my books stand a chance to succeed because I actually give a rip and am willing to do all that.