Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Anything by Orson Scott Card (1 Viewer)

I thought that the Ender's Game series was pretty darn good; of course, the final books lacked interesting substance to me.

My friend said he wrote the story for a game, but I can't think of the name :evil:

C

crzywriter

this is gonna sound pathetic, but i think i own every book that that man wrote. see, i don't do things by half measures. i either love an author and buy all their stuff or i hate them and cringe when they are mentioned. *sigh* there really is somthing wrong w/ me.

~Crzy

Selorian

Patron
It was Enders Game and Starship Troopers by Heinlien (spelling?) that extended my interest toward sci fi. The Ender Series was great. I especially liked the Speaker of the Dead. What an interesting concept- speaking the truth of a persons life at their funeral.

A

Aevin

I'm rereading Ender's Game right now. It's one of my favorite books ever. I've read several of OSC's books, but mostly in the Ender Series. I grew bored with "Enchantment" before I reached the end, unfortunately. I guess even an amazing writer can't be all good.

stereomuse

crzywriter said:
i don't do things by half measures. i either love an author and buy all their stuff or i hate them and cringe when they are mentioned.

~Crzy

That's exactly how I am... *sighs* :read:

C

crzywriter

Yeh, you should see my bookcases. sometimes i'll have a whole shelf full of books by an author i like. the box under my bed is reserved for those books who never managed to spark my interest. they are the rejects.

I must say speaker for the dead was one of the books that got me interested in writing. Rbert Jordan's got me the rest of the way. :)

Zatoichi

The books that inspired me to write were Tolkien and Card's writings. Both were very original and made me consider that perhaps it is possible to be original and interesting even though the book market is so flooded.

The Holy Moly

Talia, I didn't even know about a movie! If the movie has quality film making behind it, and they focus only on Ender's Game I think it is possible to make a good movie out of the book.

It's not like they are trying to make a movie out of Battlefield Earth or something. :p

Ralizah, I liked Children of the Mind the best.

Talia_Brie

The most recent update I have been able to find was Feb 2004, unfortunately, so it might ahve been shelved by now. At that point Card had drafted a screenplay, and Warner Bros had contracted the two guys who wrote X Men 2 to polish and finish it.

Warner Bros have optioned the rights to the first two books, and look like they're going to try to combine the two into one film. I haven't read them so I don't know how, or if, that will work.

What do you think?

The Holy Moly

Wow Talia I just read Talia Brie and the Priestess of Light...and I read the whole thing! It was great! I was really into it. Fantastic writing :)

Oooh that would be a bad thing. Ender's Game is very action oriented where as Speaker is definitely not. You would have a move that the first two hours would be action packed and the last two hours would be focused on drama I think. It surely wouldn't make for a good four hour movie.

From reading the books it sounds like a most definite dud. From anyone who hasn't read the books...I think it will just be confusing. Too much storytelling in too little time.

Unless of course they make it a 16 hour movie series only for TV. :p

Talia_Brie

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

The Talia Brie Project is on hold at the moment, about 1/3 through the second book, while I work on something new.

I'm glad you enjoyed the story though. Talia Brie and the Throne of Dorsen is almost my favourite, but you have to read them in order.

Talia_Brie

I can't find anything else on this movie, except a release date sometime in 2006.

My confidence is waining.

And apparantly it's Enders Game and Enders Shadow that have been optioned. Not sure how they are going to do it, but I'd expect something like Master and Commander. That was based on two books, with elements from each being cobbled together to make a whole film. So I'd expect they'll try to reference some of the material from Enders Shadow into the training element of Enders Game. I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure.

The Holy Moly

That would work a little better I think since those two books are the same time period, just different perspectives. Still a lot of story telling for a movie.

A

Aevin

ENDER'S GAME MOVIE?!!!!

Why haven't I heard of this before?!

AAAAARGH!!!!

-----
*commences sanity*

Well, if Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow were put together into one movie, I think that could work well. It would just require a bit of selective cutting for the most important scenes. It might be hard to focus on both Ender and Bean, but if OSC himself is writing the screenplay, then how could it be bad?