Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Anyone here read/listened to The Lord of the Rings books? What did you think of them? (1 Viewer)

mr. ramstad

I've been listening to the audiobooks. I'm now on The Return of the King. I didn't realise just how much Treebeard talks in The Two Towers or even that he had a whole chapter dedicated to him! As someone who had only seen the movies up until recently, it's always interesting to see how much movies differ to their book counterparts.

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Hi Mr Ramstad,
I read LOTR every year. Including the Hobbit. The books follow me everywhere. I must have worn our 5 ish sets. Considering the typewriter was modern tech at the time it is surprising how well it hangs together. The more I read it the more I am impressed. It has a few places where it could do with an edit. And changes in attitudes over time has made it a bit cringe-worthy in places.

I wonder how the songs come over in an audiobook.

I have the director's extended blu rays which I love. Although the ending was pants. I so wanted it to be like the book where Saruman had Hobbiton under new management. I would have welcomed another film just to deal with that.

Another series worth trying is Zelazny's Amber.

Good luck
BC

Foxee

Patron
Patron
LOTR was a regular read and re-read while I was growing up. Most of the time I lived with my parents they didn't have a TV (by choice) and didn't go to movies much. So books were the thing at our house and I loved LOTR's descriptions that helped me to feel like I was in Middle-earth. I've watched maybe one of the movies but as great as they are cinematically, I prefer my own mental images.

mr. ramstad

And changes in attitudes over time has made it a bit cringe-worthy in places.BC

Yeah. I wasn't expecting it to be so obvious that it was written in the time period that it was (if that makes sense). I'm definitely not criticising though. I wasn't expecting the use of "queer" and "gay" so much either (very old-timey).

And thanks for your suggestion.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Disclaimer: I don’t usually read fantasy (although I did get coerced into reading Game of thrones (meh)).

I listened to LOTR some 30 years ago (on cassette tapes) when I was stuck in the Netherlands for a couple weeks. I found the music annoying and the ‘acting’ overly dramatic. In short, I didn’t like it.

I’m sure the recording is better now.

CyberWar

I read the books only after seeing Peter Jackson's movies, and predictably found them less epic than expected. For example, the Battle of Helm's Deep that takes up the better part of the second film is only given one and a half pages of coverage in the book. That said, it didn't exactly come as unexpected, nor has it detracted from my due admiration of Tolkien as the father of High Fantasy genre. While I can't say I'm a particular fan of the genre, due credit where credit is due.

Matchu

It was my brother's 'thing' when we were growing up so I have always hated hobbit & cling still to the traditional slander how LOTR was a book for engineers, for your BSc rather than for the BA(hons) tribe [lofty emoji]. I liked the cartoon. However BSc have taken over the world and you won this war, Gott in Himmel egc

NB - D&D 1st generation diceman

Last edited:

Gofa

Friends of WF
Bazz You mention Zelazny’s Amber that i have read a dozen times another number lololololol
and Lord Of Light more again Mmmm time for a return olay it again Sam
i feel to put LoTR on the audio buy i watched all the movies my daughter is ans extra in one of them

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
For the sheer joy of fantasy fiction, I also recommend Alan Dean Foster's 'Spellsinger' series.
Bazz You mention Zelazny’s Amber that i have read a dozen times another number lololololol
and Lord Of Light more again Mmmm time for a return olay it again Sam
i feel to put LoTR on the audio buy i watched all the movies my daughter is ans extra in one of them