Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Anyone a fan of Norman Mailer? (1 Viewer)

G

grartx

When I read his bio, I couldn't help but exclaim, wow, this guy's a genius! But i backed off a little when i heard his books imply violent sexual acts, and feminists are against him. lol. i'm tempted to read his books, but i'm not very fond of men treating women like crap. are his books worth reading?

Eli Cash

The guy had two Pulitzers, so I think it's pretty safe to say he could write a bit.

If you're looking for stuff to start with, i'd go:

1. Executioner's Song
2. Armies of the Night
3. The Naked and the Dead

First two are non-fiction and the winners of the aforementioned Pulitzers. Last one is his novel which thrust him onto the literary scene. My personal favorite of his was The Fight, about the "rumble in the jungle". One part of it is especially good, where Mailer goes for a run with Muhammad Ali in the early morning after Mailer had just gotten home from being out all night drinking.

D

Dr. Malone

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I've been meaning to check this guy out. I've heard a lot about The Fight, and it was all good reviews.
Thanks for reminding me about it, gratx, and for the recomendations, Eli. Now it's off to the library.

Eli Cash

Y'know, I was just reading Sports Illustrated last night and the obituary mentioned the same four books I talked about above, as well as the part in The Fight where Mailer goes for a run with Ali.

Nobody is going to believe this, but I swear I wrote the post above before reading that article.

That is all.