Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

anybody here like Musicals? (1 Viewer)

Kimoco

I personally don't, but isn't like; Glee, a series that is also a musical?
Never watched it, but I heard of it.
And sometimes in shows, they randomly decide to make one or 2 episodes a musical, like in Riverdale and Jane the Virgin.
Anyways, not a bad idea for sure.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I love musicals which is apparently unusual for straight men but hey, who doesn't like a stereotype!

As for a musical tv series, it's been done a number of times. I've never watched Glee but Smash was rather good and of course, there was Fame back in the 80s

Matchu

Having suffered Jesus Christ Superstar 20/30 years - taking the condition as far back as Gillan - even the movie re-make is ‘entertaining’ to me. I am expert on the musical Jesus.

Likewise Evita - Julie Covington, but original concept album, or first West End pressing only.

Some Hair also. Never made the leap to Miserables.

In later life cried watching South Pacific on the telly, very romantic - after my night-shift.

Oh What A Lovely War? Like that one.

JimmyTheAlien

I Love Jesus Christ Superstar 😁
I also Love Glee lol
I was raised on Disney Movies so Musicals have always been a big part of my upbringing
Moulin Rouge and Chicago from 2002
Oh boy. Those two came out during my preteens
My whole life has been surrounded by music/musicals
That's why I'm completely obsessed ❤️

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I love musicals which is apparently unusual for straight men but hey, who doesn't like a stereotype!
It's not at all unusual for straight men ... it just doesn't come up in conversation as often as sports or women. :) I was out doing the weed eating Sunday, and for some reason the tune from Jane and Michael Banks reading their nanny letter got in my head and stayed there until the last blade was clipped and I put the tool away.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I'm working on a new idea

a tv show miniseries musical

do any of you guys like the Musical genre?
There was such a series 31 years ago, called "Cop Rock". It lasted 11 episodes. Musicals are expensive to produce, because it takes time and retries to get suitable material ready to produce, cast capable of performing it is more rare than dramatic casting, and they require more extensive staging and rehearsal. Outside of that, they are out of fashion as a genre with extensive market penetration. Not throwing cold water on your idea, just discussing some of the particulars.

Matchu

I’m inspired by @JimmyTheAlien. I wish you luck @J…it got me to thinking about a musical set in the world of social care. The wonderful music of a psychotic episode:

plate through the window
plate through the window
SAUCEPAN through the window!

then my gentle, my weeping riposte, my pleas of the pro-carer.

Then,perhaps reggae @ baseline?

…every little thing’s gonna be all right…

during my dance of the jigsaws.

Last edited:

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
It's not at all unusual for straight men ... it just doesn't come up in conversation as often as sports or women. :) I was out doing the weed eating Sunday, and for some reason the tune from Jane and Michael Banks reading their nanny letter got in my head and stayed there until the last blade was clipped and I put the tool away.
Absolutely, hence my comment regarding stereotypes

A few years ago, I worked for a company that had a 'social club' where you paid £1 a month (£2 if you included your partner) and, among other things, they arranged trips to West End Shows. Tickets averaged £20 and that included the coach from Work (Hertfordshire) into London and back

We saw:
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserables
We Will Rock You (4 times)
Starlight Express (3 times)
Wicked
Chicago
Buddy
Mamma Mia

All over a couple of years.

Matchu

A nice post @Mark but I am ‘triggered’ or prompted toward memories of the 1980s, of adolescence, the enforced jollity of the ‘family trip.’ Sweating Starlight/Buddy euch, nerghhhh Aspects of Love now perspiring white & pasty, the Royal Wedding.

My poor mum, I was such a brat.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I do not like musicals, but I did like Glee. It's the idea that people typically break into song when they would traditionally be speaking the words, that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm too much of realist, but I don't mind shows that have music as a theme.

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Back in the eary '60s I saw Ian McKellen prancing around the stage singing "I'm looking for a piano a piano a piano." He was appearing in a production of "Salad Days" at Ipswich Rep - I had previously seen him in "Henry V," much more his style.

In answer to you question, it rather depends on the musical, "West side story" and "A little night music" were both excellent.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I used to love going to see musicals when we lived in the uk.
Phantom of the Opera
Blood Brothers
Carmen (modern version)
Chess
Miss Saigon
Buddy Holly
Evita
Les Miserables
Grease
Showboat
Chicago
42nd street

Last edited:

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I understand a musical to be a film or play where, at particular points, the actor(s) burst into song and/or dance.
I used to find them irritating when younger as the routines kept interrupting the plot, but as I've, hopefully, matured it's become easier to appreciate the song and dance routines for what they are. Two particularly enjoyable ones, for me, were The Sound of Music and Evita. I've only seen them on film. Evita was particularly good and I felt that Madonna and Jimmy Nail errr nailed it.
EDIT: How can I write on this without giving Cabaret a mention?

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I used to love going to see musicals when we lived in the uk.
Phantom of the Opera
Blood Brothers
Carmen (modern version)
Chess
Miss Saigon
Buddy Holly
Evita
Les Miserables
Grease
Showboat
Chicago
42nd street
Blood Brothers. Got to see that in Milton Keynes, excellent show.

Reactions: PiP