Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Any other bakers out there? (1 Viewer)

meghanwithanH

I love to bake! And not to brag, but I’m pretty good at it. I’d really like to put in some more practice with decorating but I can’t bake very often. When I do, I eat it allllll :)

What do you like to bake?
What are some of your favorite baking tips and tricks?

Winston

WF Veterans
My wife was always "Dessert Girl" in her family, and retains the crown today.
However, I have been pressed into service on numerous occasions.

When I worked in a group home, we did the daily cooking on the overnight shirt. I usually made dessert. I was told by the day staff that the kids would ask, "Did Winston make this (dessert)?" If it was affirmative, the dove in.
My secret? Extra chocolate. Seriously, who doesn't like extra chocolate? For brownies and cake, I'd throw in a cup or two of chocolate chips. Cookies? Extra chocolate (and plenty of butter and brown sugar). These were teenage boys, they were not watching their figures.

Speaking of butter and brown sugar, there's your secret to a good pineapple upside down cake. Make sure the pan is generously coated with the caramelized glaze before you add the batter. The batter won't stick, and it gives the cake a crunchy, chewy binding with a soft moist center.

meghanwithanH

Can’t go wrong with extra chocolate! I put extra vanilla in everything. It makes everything taste better.

I dont know that I’ve every had pineapple upside down cake. Funny you should mention it though because I’m going through a pineapple phase. Pineapple upside down cake may just have to be my next project. Thanks for the idea!

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
I love to bake! And not to brag, but I’m pretty good at it. I’d really like to put in some more practice with decorating but I can’t bake very often. When I do, I eat it allllll :)

What do you like to bake?
What are some of your favorite baking tips and tricks?

Hi Meghan, I wrote a poem about a pie here. I do mostly quick-breads and pound cakes. And bars or cakes that go in a 13" x 9" or 8" x 8" square pan. I have a hand tremor so I can't do delicate decorative stuff.

meghanwithanH

I love to make brownies and blondies and cheesecake squares and things like that. They’re so quick and easy. I don’t have usually have the patience for decorating and yet I wish I was better at it. I need to put in some practice time. Anyway, what kinds of bars and cakes do you like to bake?

ppsage

WF Veterans
I bake pineapple blueberry pound cake for a breakfast staple. /QUOTE]

Cake for breakfast sounds deliciously wicked. Any chance of the recipe, please?
5 eggs separated whip whites extra stiff
third cup yogurt stirred w/ pinch of baking soda
6 tablespoons butter creamed w/ a cup and a half granulated sugar
9 x 15 inch metal cake pan buttered and floured
zest one big lemon
375 degree Fahrenheit preheat oven
mix two cups white flour w/ 2 teaspoons baking powder
5 egg yolks, splash vanilla and zest mixed into yogurt
mix yolk combo and creamed sugar combo thoroughly
add flour combo and mix thoroughly
fold in beaten whites
ease into baking pan and spread gently
top with thin sliced pineapple and frozen blueberries, to taste, I use a lot
bake 45 min
I use one chunk of pineapple which I have ripened and cleaned and cut into eight chunks and frozen... thoroughly thawed
fresh blueberries work but not as good
sorry about all the 'English' units
hope this makes sense?
I cut the cake into eight pieces and wrap each in cling wrap
we eat one each day, the first two fresh the rest frozen
if, in the morning, none has been previously taken out to thaw, they're okay tasting frozen if sliced thin
(this recipe is pretty forgiving, I rarely measure accurately)

edit I found my original starting recipe printout for this which is from allrecipe dot com recipe ID 7792 which I printed in 2013. That recipe is much smaller and wayyyy more butter and uses plums, which are getting ripe if it doesn't rain and which are really good in the cake but not available as much as pineapple and blueberies.

Last edited:

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
pp, that looks tantalizing. I do the Grandmother's Pound Cake II from all recipes (21702) as-is--there is no need to add flavorings. I make them for my students.

ppsage

WF Veterans
Baking the (pineapple) cake today. Plums still aren't ripe and I worry a heavy rain's gonna fall this week.

I am a big fan of Brownie. I often bake it. Here is my best recipe:

¼ cup butter​
1 bar + 1 row dark chocolate)
½ cup sugar​
2 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
​½ tsp vanilla (less than half a packet of van sugar)
½ cup chopped walnuts
​½ cup flour

Oil an 8 x 8 inch pan. Heat oven to 350 F. Melt chocolate and butter, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add sugar and stir till blended. Add eggs, salt and vanilla and stir till blended. Add flour and blend. Add nuts and blend. Bake 25 – 30 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Should be very moist.

Bon appetit!)

Rojack79

I love to make recipes from scratch. Any kind of pastry, cake or cookie that i can conceive i will bake. I should have been a chef.

quiet

A group of other bakers! I haven't done much baking in a while, but I do love it! Those recipes look delicious!

Kopely

My sister just got into baking bread. I can't believe how good her sourdough bread is. And from my understanding sourdough bread is a healthier bread option then most other breads.