Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Any one have a suggestion on a good classic book? (1 Viewer)

aliceedelweiss

I need a classic to read for my English class, I can just never think of one or pick one from a list of titles. Our report doesn't have to be on a classic, but I'm reading Memnoch the Devil and I'm only 15 pages into it but I can already see I won't be able to do the report on it >< I get too lost in what’s happening and not the way its written. (Our "logs" need to be about dialogue, style, how it’s written, descriptions etc) so I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on something I could read? It's either that or I reread something :cry:
Alice

aliceedelweiss

Already read it sadly, but it was very good. i did it for my project in...november I think? we do one every month or so. But thank you!
Alice

Straylight

The Picture of Dorian Gray is excellent, and a fairly quick read. It's got lots of subtext and meaning, so you can really make the teacher happy.

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books, but it's a bit long.

If you want to be a little off-beat, how about 'Fools Die' by Mario Puzo? It's kind of a classic, but not really, and a damn entertaining read.

~SL

aliceedelweiss

I absolutly loved Dorian Gray when i read it! It was amazing, and infact I might reread that for this project it was just that good >< unless I find something to read for the first time, which is probably better.
Alice

Stewart

aliceedelweiss said:
Already read it sadly, but it was very good. i did it for my project in...november I think? we do one every month or so. But thank you!
Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe

Or, as a contemporary classic, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Hodge

pliable
Things Fall Apart isn't really old enough to be a classic, I don't think. Good book, though.

Is there a specific period your book has to come from (or can't come from)? If not, I'd recommend Inferno by Dante Alighieri (it's an epic poem). Otherwise, I just read The Awakening by Kate Chopin and it was rather good.

Stewart

Hodge said:
Things Fall Apart isn't really old enough to be a classic, I don't think. Good book, though.

It's almost sixty years old. That's enough, in my opinion.

Kira the wanderer

The Phantom fo the Opera by Gaston Leroux is amazing, its my bible.

If that's not your thing then I'd try reading some Jane Austen books like Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and so forth.

Charles Dickens is really good as well, but I'm sure you have read a lot of his work already since schools love to pile that kind of stuff on you.

Mike C

WF Veterans
A quick, easy, classic that's engaging and easy to write a report on:

Candide, by Voltaire.

It's written almost in fairy-tale style, is nice and easy to read, won't bog you down, and most of all is fun.

3I definetly recomend Notes From the Under Ground by Dotstovesky(i spelled that SO wrong...) and his other writings, persoanly i really like Russian literature.

elizabeth_472

Watership Down by Richard Adams
I did it for my report in English class as well. It is an easy read and makes perfect sense. However, it's just not that good of a book in my opinion.

T

TheInklings

Personally, I thought Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was possibly one of the best books I've ever read. I went into it with the knowledge only of what I saw in movies. I was blown away. I feel the way she captures human nature is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread