Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Babylonkid

Hello writers. Ive been stuck on an idea and I keep asking myself why do this? Is there any reason you can think of, to embed something in a new borns mind. Text, information, a phone number. An example would be embedding an important document, or ancient scroll in the babies mind. Whats the purpose? Why do this? What will it serve later in the story? I cant come up with anything. Any ideas?

I greatly appreciate you all.
Alan

Fiender

If this is information a newborn could access later in life, it makes perfect sense to embed them with basic good life practices; from super basic stuff like 'don't touch fire' to basic computer or electronic maintenance, or even emergency protocols. Now, these ideas are more of a societal basis and don't really work if you want to make it a plot point that a specific child has something specific embedded in their minds. Unless this child was secretly a test subject for the implementation of a known-from-birth basic knowledge system.

If psychics exist in your world, or even just mind scanning, implanting something vital/secret into a child's mind mind be a good way to keep something hidden. A newborn isn't gonna be able to scream "the password to the safe is 3-32-132" or whatever the info is.

Last edited:

Babylonkid

Thank you so much for the help Fiender. That was a great post. The story takes place in the ancient world. And it is a specific child with something specific embedded in his mind. Its the writings from a fragment of an ancient tablet. This ancient tablet contains knowledge and wisdom from another world. One thought is that this information can give him a jump-start....like an intelligence boost but its roughly the year 1000 BC and I cant think of a way to use this. On one hand I want to scrap the idea, but on the other hand if I can come up with a purpose for it then Id like to keep it.

alpacinoutd

In some countries, some religious stuff are read in the ear of a newborn.

People are superstitious and they think the child will grow up to be pious if they do that. If only that were the case.

Babylonkid

Yes, I have known of that. Ive been thinking about it for a few days but I just cant come up with anything. My story is in ancient Mesopotamia. They had their gods that they prayed to so that parts good to go. I cant think of the "information" to be put in the kids mind because I dont have a reason to access it. The "info" is there, I have it already....but they embedding thing, I dont have a call back for it.

Zlodesk

It could be an inherent ideal of the practices involved with particular gods. Matters of restraint or built in fear to quell future rebellion, a kind of imposed slavery under the gods to prevent discourse and some parts of free will.
Are you wanting the gods to have embedded them? Do you have any ideas on who did it otherwise? Is it genetic?
It could provide a good hurdle if there was sufficient conflict with the way that the gods did things but it was just implanted that it felt normal and everyday despite the horrors of it. It could also be something more basic like specific survival instincts, or tribal separations.
Example. One god implanted a "crop" of children to be faithful to him, while others still took their own, and despite not having much reason to dislike one another, they felt enmity that they could not explain as they grew older.

Just spitballing, hoping something helpful comes of it. I'm not in your head, so I'm not sure where to jump off from, but i'm here if you'd like to discuss it further.

Alternatively, if it's not something meant to affect the baby and rather is more like a piece of information to be regained at a later time, let me know and I'll brainstorm that idea too.

Last edited:

Babylonkid

First off, thanks for helping me. I found your post very helpful. This thought/idea has been kickin my butt. Now let me simplify what I have written in this scene of my story.

Using his magic, a royal priest "Asipu" (Assyrian/Babylonian wizard/magician) embeds a fragment of a larger broken ancient tablet into the mind of a new born who happens to be a demi god. His parents are the king and queen of the Assyrian empire circa 1000BC or so, but who fathered him is an ancient Mesopotamian god. I was thinking Nanna/Sin who is the moon god. Nanna for the Sumerians, and Sin for the Assyrian/Babylonians. Maybe Ashur, or maybe Marduk. I dont know.

You suggested basic survival instincts which got me thinking that maybe Ive been thinking to grand. Maybe it should just be something small. But then again, is anything implanted small? Wouldnt anything be big?

Thanks for taking the time to read and post. You helped open a door I didnt see. Been at this alone for a long time. I hope to hear more from you.

Zlodesk

I had another idea, you actually made me think about a story i was writing a while ago, where a family line had genetic memory, so each first child in the direct line would grow into the memories of thier ancestors, while adding their own. So at age 3, they'd remember having lived through being 3 years old ten or twenty times.

I do agree that anything would be pretty big if implanted into an infant. There's no frame of reference, so any information would feel gargantuan and important.

If it's a fragment, that lends itself to a mystery about what the other pieces are, and what the whole is. That's a useful device to keep interest, as that question will always be in the back of the reader's head. (What is the whole message)

it gives you a lot of freedom and time to figure it out. Eventually, I hope that lightning will strike and you'll feel that buzz of excitement from having figured out the secret, leaving only to parse its pieces and put them in place.

Is the tablet related to the parentage? or is it something disconnected?
I mean like, is it related to the traits of the parent god, like fertility and a prosperous herd of cattle? If so, it could be knowledge of animal husbandry, something not inherant without teaching in most people. Some people like animals, certainly, but inherantly knowing how to breed and take care of them right is a pretty long-learned tradition.

Babylonkid

"they'd remember having lived through being 3 years old ten or twenty times." Thats crazy dude. I love it.

I like the idea of the fragment being a mystery to the whole tablet, but prior to this scene I've already introduced the tablet as a whole before it was broken. We see it as a whole and we see it get broken into fragments. Because its already introduced as 1 whole piece, does that take away any impact to the mystery of the tablet as a whole? It shouldnt right? Because the audience/reader doesnt know what this really is. All they know is its a tablet with other worldly powers.

I should mention that even though the audience knows this tablet by name, and they know it is "something powerful"....they dont really know what it does or where it comes from. I guess, similar to whats inside the Ark of the Covenant. We believe 2 tablets of the Ten Commandments are in there. Legend says whoever is in possession of the Ark becomes mighty and powerful. My tablet is just like that...except its 1 tablet, and its not a set of principles.

This has been a tremendous help. Thanks again for your time.

Edit* Forgot to answer your question. The tablet is even more ancient than ancient Mesopotamia. Its cosmic. Its from another planet. Yes, it is related to the parentage... but its related to all the gods and demi gods. I hope I understood your question.

Last edited:

Babylonkid

The "Plan B" idea is intriguing. I like it.
Do you think its an easy/cheat way to say that my hero is powerful because this fragment of information was embedded in his mind and that gave him powers because the tablet as a whole is almighty? Hope that made sense.

Last edited:

Taylor

Friends of WF
You suggested basic survival instincts which got me thinking that maybe Ive been thinking to grand. Maybe it should just be something small. But then again, is anything implanted small? Wouldnt anything be big?

I love this idea, and it got me thinking of all the things that could be embedded in a newborn that when a future event takes place, it is unlocked and useful. I got thinking about everything that has happened during my lifetime and how I might do things quite differently, if I would know the outcome of all my decisions. Perhaps he has been given the power of seeing the outcome of a decision he is about to make as a King. If you research the period, there likely is an event that triggered a war or the loss of power to a particular people.

v_krelig

Let me see if I get this.... the tablet is almighty which makes the character powerful (but not invulnerable). Sounds like a good start.

Babylonkid

I love the idea too which is why Im so stuck on it.
I like your idea of seeing the outcome of a decision. Im having trouble because this knowledge from the fragment that is being embedded is 1 piece out of 7. The 7 framents make the 1 tablet which is almighty and cosmic and supreme. So that knowledge/info whatever it may be, from the fragment is useless by itself. Thats where I am stuck. What can I do with this embedded info from 1 fragment. The best idea I came up with is that its power guides him to the other 6 fragments. But then, what is the trigger or incident that turns on this pull that draws him to the other fragments.

Babylonkid

Yes, you got it. The hero is a demi god and thats why he is strong/powerful. The tablet is almighty and he who possesses it increases his prowess in everything.

Edit* Or even better. At the end, the bad guy gets all the fragments and he's winning...but with that 1 piece of the tablet embedded in his mind, the hero somehow defeats him.

Last edited:

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Hello writers. Ive been stuck on an idea and I keep asking myself why do this? Is there any reason you can think of, to embed something in a new borns mind. Text, information, a phone number. An example would be embedding an important document, or ancient scroll in the babies mind. Whats the purpose? Why do this? What will it serve later in the story? I cant come up with anything. Any ideas?

I greatly appreciate you all.
Alan

For commercial gain? To acquire power?

Taylor

Friends of WF
I love the idea too which is why Im so stuck on it.
I like your idea of seeing the outcome of a decision. Im having trouble because this knowledge from the fragment that is being embedded is 1 piece out of 7. The 7 framents make the 1 tablet which is almighty and cosmic and supreme. So that knowledge/info whatever it may be, from the fragment is useless by itself. Thats where I am stuck. What can I do with this embedded info from 1 fragment. The best idea I came up with is that its power guides him to the other 6 fragments. But then, what is the trigger or incident that turns on this pull that draws him to the other fragments.

Yes, I see your point. Your concept of the tablet is so powerful. I see how it could frame a bigger idea that is your overall theme. But if you were to pick something that is of interest to a wide range of readers, you could really have a huge target market. "Peace" comes to mind. So then conceptualize seven major leadership decisions that if had occured in 1000BC would have created peace in modern time.

What is the trigger though? That would be where you as a writer use your creativity. Because he has no control over the trigger, it could be anything you want really. A certain type of bird that lands on the window sill. A particular snake that slithers through the room. I know for myself whenever the sky is a certain colour, sort of a smoky grey when the sun is trying to break through and just can't, it triggers strong memories for me.

But then I wonder if I am heading into a different direction than you intended with your concept. Have you already defined what the almighty cosmic and supreme is?

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
How about an actual invention, something like arches, they turned up about 2000 BC but didn't get used much until the Romans got hold of them at about your period.
Other things that turned up about then were iron smelting, proper ship building, geometry to make right angles. Horses were used to pull vehicles and people started breeding them. The Phonecians started trading for tin in Cornwall to make bronze, but how did they know it was there? Sundials start turning up, and cranks and spoked wheels started turning up about then.

I am thinking stuff which changed the world and could have been introduced by a time traveler or alien to speed things up in a direction that suited them.

Users who are viewing this thread