Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Any good Sci-Fi books? (1 Viewer)

Gauda

My current book revolves around Science fiction a lot. It has astronomy in it, as well as advanced technology. Anarkos and A_Maclaren already gave me some good titles, but does anybody else have any suggestions?

I would like to read especially about people moving to/discovering other planets.

Nothing about aliens though, please! :O)

Thank you!

K

Kirby

I enjoyed Neverness by David Zindell (and the rest of the series).

Hodge

pliable
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress – Robert Heinlein

Red Mars – Kim Stanley Robinson

No aliens? Bleh. You're no fun.

journyman161

Forge of God & Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear. Also Eon & also Eternity by him. Prepare to be mind-boggled.

Although they contain aliens, almost any of Larry Niven's books will give you hard science in a delightful story with solid characters.
Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers, The Ringworld Throne;
The Mote in God's Eye & The Moat Around Murcheson's Eye;
The Integral Trees & The Smoke Ring;
all great books with a wealth of solid info behind them.
Also, for colonising planets, Legacy of Heorot & Beowulf's Children, as well as Destiny's Road, all by Niven

C

Cameron

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. In sci-fi characters are commonly made less important than concepts, are almost overlooked. Isn't the case here.

Also, give A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley a read. But if you do, think of it in the context of American society. The implications are profound.

The Thing

I've recently read 'The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch' by Philip K. Dick. It's a weird one for sure, but it does involve people being shipped to Mars so they can get high on hallucogenic drugs.

Kokoriet

I guess I would still suggest Scott Westerfeld's Succession Series. I just think its brilliant, or at least some of the technological and social aspects ^_^