Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Any Good Fantasy? (2 Viewers)

K-P

When I was younger I loved the Dragonlance books. I gobbled them up like chocolate icecream. But, now when I look at one I can only think: God, someone got paid to write this crap?

This sucks, because I like the whole idea of fantasy. I really want to read a good sword and sorcery story. Every time I try, though, I nearly throw up (exaggeration) at all the feeble attempts at new languages and names that are simply three or four syllables pulled randomly from a hat and tossed on the page.

Are there any solid fantasy books out there?

And, before you ask, I didn't like the Lord of the Rings (the books). Well, that's not entirely true; I did like the series, except when Tolkien would go off on a tangest every two pages describing all the blades of grass and the trees and the hills and the lake, and where the waters of the lake flowed too, and what the Dwarves were doing and how they so enjoyed their picnicks with their bologna sandwiches and their flag-football games against the trolls. By the time he'd finished I had already forgotten what the hell was going on.

Mike C

WF Veterans
I have the book for you;

The Malacian Tapestry by Brian Aldiss. It takes the familiar fantasy elements but uses them to tell a real story. Literate fantasy. It's so damn good that if you lived nearby I'd be on your doorstep shouting through the letterbox at you, offering to lend my copy. Possibly (definitley in my own humble opinion) the best fantasy novel ever written.

Second on the list is Gloriana, by Michael Moorcock. Taking Elizabeth 1 as a starting point and weaving the faery queen into the mix he comes up with a tale of suspense, intrigue and political machinations that is totally awesome. Not quite historical fiction, not standard fantasy, it's totally unique.

BeL

I was thinking about this yesterday, fantasy book standards are very very low :( There's Tolkien, there's Moorcock (elrick is fantastic) and afaik, that's pretty much it. I've read a multitude of other fantasy books ,(the list ending with The Wheel of Time, which is SO very bad) and I must say that I'm quite disapointed.

I'm looking forward to see recomendations...

That's all,
MG

Stewart

Mike C said:
Second on the list is Gloriana, by Michael Moorcock. Taking Elizabeth 1 as a starting point and weaving the faery queen into the mix he comes up with a tale of suspense, intrigue and political machinations that is totally awesome. Not quite historical fiction, not standard fantasy, it's totally unique.

Although I've never read it, I don't know about it being unique. Umberto Eco's Baudolino mixed the history of the Holy Roman Empire with the myth of Prester John. The story brought in all manner of fantasy creatures, as written by such historical figures as Sir John Mandeville: blemmyae, cynocephaloids, giants, satyrs, and more. For some reason, many seem to think it's Eco's worst, but they are usually the ones who expect it to be some serious piece of historical fiction with contemporary leanings. They also are the ones who rarely read it to the end. It's a great work.

Beardedtroll

Well, there's the Earthsea books by Le Guin, Mieville's steam-industrial fantasy, Leiber's books about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, "The Once and Future King" by White, Howard's sword and sorcery books (Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane), Zelazny's Amber books (at least the earliest), Beagle's "The Last Unicorn", Lewis' Narnia books, Gavriel Kay's "Tigana" and Theis' "The Eye of Argon" (I'm kidding, I'm kidding!). Not everything is likely to be to your liking, but you should find something there you like.

Personally, I'm partial to Cherryh's Morgaine books and Glen Cook's Garret books and the first half of his Black Company series.

A_MacLaren

There's always the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson, starting with Gardens of the Moon. Complex, but mostly believable and very well written.

Wisp

Shade's Children- Is my absolute fantasy book. It's by Garth Nix. Everyone should read it. :D

Pawn

Patron
Dephere's link is a good point of call. To recap what I almost certainly said there:

George R. R. Martin spins an excellent epic. Grander in scale than the God forsaken Wheel of Time and solidly, if not luminously, written. Robin Hobb is, of the many fantasy authors I have sampled, the best writer. Her stories are character driven, as well constructed and written as any work of common fiction, set in a unique fantasy environment.

Dephere

Oh, yes, I second George R.R. Martin....His books are thoroughly fantastic, definitely one of the best....!!!! His character development is simply sublime!

Last edited:
R

Rory

I recommend very highly Steven Erikson..of course if you don't like epic fantasy that uses very complex language and is over a thousand pages per book then you won't like him. If you're into that sort of stuff, then start with Gardens Of The Moon

Raymond E. Feist is a personal favourite of mine...awesome writer, one of the best fantasy worlds out there. Start with Magician.

Pawn

Patron
Rory said:
Raymond E. Feist is a personal favourite of mine...awesome writer, one of the best fantasy worlds out there. Start with Magician.

I'd hardly describe him as an 'awesome writer'. His books are more plain good fun.

R

Rory

Pawn said:
I'd hardly describe him as an 'awesome writer'. His books are more plain good fun.

He's one of my personal favourites, and yes, while he is not the greatest technical writer, his books are, as you said, fun, but he's also created an excellent world. I don't know, I just really like him. To me he's awesome.

blademasterzzz

He's alright. Fun.
As for great worlds, read Roger Zhelazny's Amber series. Now there's an amazing world. Pity the books are hard to find.

Beardedtroll

blademasterzzz said:
He's alright. Fun.
As for great worlds, read Roger Zhelazny's Amber series. Now there's an amazing world. Pity the books are hard to find.

The Amber books were republished in an omnibus volume some years ago, and is still available.

(Personally, I didn't much care for the latter books in the series. They just seemed rather pointless and not really going anywhere.)

FollowingShadow

My question is rather off topic, but relevant (I think):

What does everyone think of Robert Jordan? I read the whole series up til the last book before he wrote the prequel and I really enjoyed it, other than the fact that he left the entire series up in the air by the last issue. It seems like no one enjoys him very much.

(I'd recommend some of my favorite fantasy, but the last one I've read was actually Robert Jordan's book. I've tried to pick up some others, but in vain. They were just stupid.)