Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Any good alternatives to smashwords? (1 Viewer)

SiameseDream

I've been putting up free ebooks on Smashwords for years. I was used to seeing my stuff getting hundreds (and, in a few cases, over a thousand) downloads. Over the past couple of years, the average number of downloads has dropped to between 20 and 60. It seems to me that the site has become geared more towards erotica and "chick lit", and my (mostly) horror stories just aren't what people there are looking for. Are there any other good places to post stories for a general audience?

Some places I used to post but have pretty much stopped:

writing.com (I hit my limit of 10 "items" long ago and don't want to pay to post more)

wattpad (Similarly to smashwords, I saw my average views plummet as the site became more of a fan-fiction site)

lulu.com (The stuff I put up there never really got any views/downloads and it just didn't make sense to take the time upload my stuff there)

feedbooks (they used to allow you to upload your own stuff, but I don't think they do that anymore; I can't even find the stuff I'd already uploaded a while back)

Reddit (the main subreddit I started posting to banned me [my own fault for not paying careful attention to the posting rules], and others that I've found don't seem to have much traffic)

Last edited:

SiameseDream

You've put together multiple novel-length manuscripts? Try Amazon.
Thanks. I might have to give that some consideration. I thought about going that route before, but it seemed like a hassle (filling out tax and bank info and such) just to out up stories that I would've made free anyway.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I've been putting up free ebooks on Smashwords for years. I was used to seeing my stuff getting hundreds (and, in a few cases, over a thousand) downloads. Over the past couple of years, the average number of downloads has dropped to between 20 and 60. It seems to me that the site has become geared more towards erotica and "chick lit", and my (mostly) horror stories just aren't what people there are looking for. Are there any other good places to post stories for a general audience?

Some places I used to post but have pretty much stopped:

writing.com (I hit my limit of 10 "items" long ago and don't want to pay to post more)

wattpad (Similarly to smashwords, I saw my average views plummet as the site became more of a fan-fiction site)

lulu.com (The stuff I put up there never really got any views/downloads and it just didn't make sense to take the time upload my stuff there)

feedbooks (they used to allow you to upload your own stuff, but I don't think they do that anymore; I can't even find the stuff I'd already uploaded a while back)

Reddit (the main subreddit I started posting to banned me [my own fault for not paying careful attention to the posting rules], and others that I've found don't seem to have much traffic)

Try D2D. They can get you into the libraries.*

*Never use the advanced circulation option on Amazon. It just drives up your prices, makes your book look like vanity press, and they don;t do anything you can't do yourself on D2D.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
Try D2D. They can get you into the libraries.*

*Never use the advanced circulation option on Amazon. It just drives up your prices, makes your book look like vanity press, and they don;t do anything you can't do yourself on D2D.
Try this URL, and take note of where the books are being sold. This is a site designed to help sell to libraries.