Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Another word for "idiot" or "young person?" (1 Viewer)

cinderblock

Hi, I'm looking for another word for idiot or young person, to use as a descriptor or an insult. The term is being used by a first person narrator to refer to someone else, who is a grown up, but their behavior is a mix of immature, irrational, delusional, and inconsiderate.

I'm thinking of just going with "idiot," or "grown up child." Maybe even "simpleton."

Thank you.

cinderblock

Hmm, I had already described the character in question, in detail over the course of the story. I was just looking for sort of a one-worded insult for the protagonist to throw at them for comic relief. Thank you for the feedback.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hmm, I had already described the character in question, in detail over the course of the story. I was just looking for sort of a one-worded insult for the protagonist to throw at them for comic relief. Thank you for the feedback.
I think the requirement for "comic relief" adds an extra challenge. You might need two words. An alliteration comes to mind for me.

"Dumbass dunce."

"Puerile Putz."

"Infantile ignoramus."

"Inconsiterate imbecile."

"Immature idiot."

Seems the "I"s are winning. What fun! :D

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Puerile
Just calling an adult a child ("Do you really have to be such a child about this?") can get that idea across.
infant (like using "child")
juvenile
twit

Ajoy

I know someone who referred to a group of young people she was clearly annoyed with as, "youths". The way she said it cracked me up. I'm not sure if it would work in your context or not, though. :)