Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Another naïve, ambitious newbie (1 Viewer)

AurelianGuy

Hello there, folks!

I'm a new writer looking to learn as much as possible from more experienced people who have been doing this for years. I've been slowly but surely refining my writing skill, learning to improve the flow and readability of my work for about a year now and have, to say the least, very ambitious story plans going into the future. The first story I have planned would fall into the category of dark sci-fi and while I'm very confident in the quality of the story itself, I only have a very rough plan on the business side of things and I believe my writing skill can still only be considered entry level for a professional writer.

I'm looking forwards to to meeting likeminded people and sucking up your collective knowledge like a sponge! :)

NajaNoir

Hello and welcome to the forums. :)

I too am a fan of dark sci-fi, will be looking forward to reading what you share.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Welcome aboard Dood!

But keep in mind that it takes about 200,000 words worth of practice before you have the experience to write competantly.
So don't get too attached to those first few stories as they likely won't be sellers.
Practice, practice, practice. Then one day you will notice that your writing isn't complete rubbish anymore.
There is no short path.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Welcome aboard Dood!

But keep in mind that it takes about 200,000 words worth of practice before you have the experience to write competantly.
So don't get too attached to those first few stories as they likely won't be sellers.
Practice, practice, practice. Then one day you will notice that your writing isn't complete rubbish anymore.
There is no short path.
He always says that, don't be too discouraged, there are some people who have written a lot less than that and are really good at it. Having said that there are also a few who have been at it for years and still suck, so don't rely on experience, it isn't the be all and end all. Take a stroll through 'Writing discussion' and you will see what I mean, some really interesting threads and some huge yawns :) It will also give you the chance to chip in from time to time with a comment and make up those ten posts that open up the rest of the forum. Still, good to have an eager and inquiring mind, welcome to the forum.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hello there, folks!

I'm a new writer looking to learn as much as possible from more experienced people who have been doing this for years. I've been slowly but surely refining my writing skill, learning to improve the flow and readability of my work for about a year now and have, to say the least, very ambitious story plans going into the future. The first story I have planned would fall into the category of dark sci-fi and while I'm very confident in the quality of the story itself, I only have a very rough plan on the business side of things and I believe my writing skill can still only be considered entry level for a professional writer.

I'm looking forwards to to meeting likeminded people and sucking up your collective knowledge like a sponge! :)
You've landed in a good place. Several of my books are SciFi - and some of it is pretty dark. I'm currently working on a techno-thriller suggested by @Taylor - one of our members. This is a good place for inspiration and advice.

I'm glad that you're here.

AurelianGuy

Welcome aboard Dood!

There is no short path.
I think that's fair advice, I've spent the last year just focused on improving my writing ability above all else and I think/hope that I've come along far enough that my writing level can be considered competent now. Perhaps contrary to more conventional wisdom, I'm going all in on my first story when that generally wouldn't be advisable. That being said I've spent roughly ten years planning this specific story, and as I said a year just focused on improving my writing, so I can only hope I get some traction.

That being said, I haven't taken any shortcuts and am in a good position to start a book series, having worked a frankly terrible job for the last two years in order to get a pretty decent piggy bank behind me, so I can afford for the first few books to not immediately take off.

He always says that, don't be too discouraged, there are some people who have written a lot less than that and are really good at it. Having said that there are also a few who have been at it for years and still suck, so don't rely on experience, it isn't the be all and end all. Take a stroll through 'Writing discussion' and you will see what I mean, some really interesting threads and some huge yawns :) It will also give you the chance to chip in from time to time with a comment and make up those ten posts that open up the rest of the forum. Still, good to have an eager and inquiring mind, welcome to the forum.

Thanks kindly, I've been taking a look through the different forums and I've seen a few questions, and a few threads that have helped answer questions that I had before hand, though I'll probably be asking several of my own soon to help fill out the places where I'm lacking knowledge.

We all share our collective knowledge here. I'm certain you have a few lessons to teach us as well. Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for the welcome!

You've landed in a good place. Several of my books are SciFi - and some of it is pretty dark. I'm currently working on a techno-thriller suggested by @Taylor - one of our members. This is a good place for inspiration and advice.

I'm glad that you're here.

Definitely seems like its at least adjacent to my interests, have no doubt I'll be picking your collective brains for information that I can't find otherwise soon enough. :p

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Everything you've said there reminds me of me, except I'm opting for horror/fantasy, or to give it it's unfortunate name 'Grimdark'. Welcome to the forum. :)

AurelianGuy

Everything you've said there reminds me of me, except I'm opting for horror/fantasy, or to give it it's unfortunate name 'Grimdark'. Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you kindly for the welcome. 'Grimdark' is actually one of the tags I'd associate my first series with and one of my core writing themes, I think writing themes of hope and perseverance become a lot more powerful when facing off with a threat that can be considered to be all-consuming in its darkness. I've always been drawn to passionate characters in art, and who could be more passionate than characters who know that if they fail then everyone is done for? Lord of the Rings is a good example of that, though I'm sure no one has ever heard of that one. 😁

Some of the biggest aesthetic influences on my first series will be certain aspects of the game 'Deadspace', or the universe of Warhammer 40k. Suffice it to say, I'm a fan of grimdark myself!

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Thank you kindly for the welcome. 'Grimdark' is actually one of the tags I'd associate my first series with and one of my core writing themes, I think writing themes of hope and perseverance become a lot more powerful when facing off with a threat that can be considered to be all-consuming in its darkness. I've always been drawn to passionate characters in art, and who could be more passionate than characters who know that if they fail then everyone is done for? Lord of the Rings is a good example of that, though I'm sure no one has ever heard of that one. 😁

Some of the biggest aesthetic influences on my first series will be certain aspects of the game 'Deadspace', or the universe of Warhammer 40k. Suffice it to say, I'm a fan of grimdark myself!
Yes. In order to establish how bright the light is, you have to first establish the dark. Then it's a matter of contrast, context and relativity. From what you've said, I think a dose of Clive Barker might just be up your street. :) Nobody comes close in the 'dark' department in my opinion.