Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Anonymous March Challenge: “Dusty Little Curiosities” (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
As previously discussed, the challenge rules have been revamped.

Henceforth, we will be alternating between “regular” challenges during which members will post their own entries, and anonymous challenges during which entries will be sent to me and I will post them.

The “Like” function may now be utilized at any time.

Discussion regarding any entry, or any challenge related issues, may take place at any time in either Bistro. Kindly be mindful that secure entries are only discussed in the Secure Bistro to preserve the first rights of entrants.

Once the entry phase has been officially closed, and the voting process has begun, critique for public entries may be posted in the voting thread itself, while critique for secure entries must be posted in a dedicated thread in the challenge workshop to preserve the first rights of entrants.

This is an anonymous month, therefore, entrants must submit their entries to me.*

Please remember that in submitting an entry you are obligated to cast at least one vote in the poll. Failure to do so will result in your entry being disqualified. The names of entrants will be revealed after our winner has been announced, if you do not desire to participate in the reveal, please inform me in your submission PM.

The prompt for this month's anonymous challenge as chosen by Foxee is: Dusty Little Curiosities

*Your entry must be submitted anonymously and therefore should be PMed to me, Chester's Daughter, so that I may post it for you. Please be sure to indicate in your PM on which board you prefer your work posted, PUBLIC or SECURE. I am responsible for linking all entries posted on the secure board to public board.

Reminder:
The names of entrants will be revealed after our winner has been announced, if you do not desire to participate in the reveal, please inform me in your submission PM.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** Kindly make sure your entry is properly formatted and error free before you PM it to me as you will be unable to edit your work once I have posted it. If your work requires a disclaimer, please inform me in your submission PM.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT ANY ENTRY POSTED DIRECTLY TO EITHER BOARD WILL RESULT IN THAT PARTICULAR WORK BEING DISQUALIFIED, BUT YOU WILL BE PERMITTED TO SELECT ANOTHER WORK TO ENTER ANONYMOUSLY THROUGH THE REQUIRED CHANNELS.

Do not post comments in this thread. Any discussion related to the challenge can take place in the Bards’ Bistro for entries on the public board, and the Secure Bards’ Bistro for entries on the secure board.

This challenge will close on the 15th of March at 7pm EST.

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
Stash

Sequestered in the back of the attic,
one by one,
she’d squirreled them away
in an ancient curio cabinet.

To an unaware audience,
they’d resemble little lumps of coal,
but that mattered not
for only her hardened eyes
were permitted to espy
those incarcerated hunks of her soul.

Her life had been fraught
with an extraordinary amount
of devastating events
that ought not plague
a single individual.
The decades decayed
in a constant cavalcade
of the worst fate had to offer.

Ever averse
to the cowardly art of the buckle,
she’d right wrongs and endure,
but in an attempt to maintain
what remained pure
post skirmish,
she’d paralyze, excise, and then store
the echoes of her battles
to enable her to engage some more.

Once their number
hit triple digits,
she refrained from the visits
she’d regularly made
to extract and caress
random prisoners of war.
She’d relive their essence
and drench the hardwood floor
with a deluge of saline
lest she forget her “victories”
for she’d bested the worst
hadn’t she?
Ah, but at what cost.

That cabinet, now dressed in dust,
awaits her in vain,
for she, too, is waiting.
Seated in her rocking chair,
humming Amazing Grace,
she knows a text, a call,
or a ringing doorbell is nigh
to herald the next “why oh why”

and with too much of herself
already smothered in mites
she knows the next disaster
will usher her into her long good night.

And good it will indubitably be,
for finally
she will be free
as will the ill she imprisoned,
and her soul,
reunited with its missing mass
and the promise of being
evermore excused
from the dastardly dole,
will once more be whole.

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans