Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl (1 Viewer)

yunir

Anne Frank : The Diary of a Young Girl
Translated by Mooyaart - Doubleday

This is not exatcly a review, but here goes anyway...

Its an actual diary of a young Jewish girl in Holland, writing her life in hiding from the Nazis.

I thought I'd never complete the book. Took me almost, if not all of a week to come to about 1/3 of it.

But I did. The remaining 2/3 was covered in 3 days.

As I approached the last few pages, the entries focused on an incoming invasion by Britan, to chase out the Nazi. I thought it was going to end soon, and the whole family would once again, be able to step outside of the house for the first time in over 2 years. And all would be well again.

But I was wrong. The last entry got me asking, "Huh? That's it?" I then read the Afterword by Ernst Schnabel.

And I then understood. This is a diary. Outside the fairy tale world, happy endings are often unheard of.

Fantasy of You

I read it when I was younger. I enjoyed it, but I knew the ending already, so it wasn't much of a shock. It's a sad little thing..

golfprincess

Awesome book, I am like obssessed with learning about the holocaust and it's a very interesting side. I loved it and it showed me how optomistic one can truly be.

hobbish

Well, it was probably depressive because it's a holocaust account.

I didn't like Anne Frank. It seems like an account for people who dont want to read about the nitty gritty details. However, It's very very appropriate for younger people (11-13 ish) Because it gives them their first insert to a part of history that is very hard to teach to young children.

burnitdown

I don't generally like political writing unless it has an artistic-philosophical background. Still, I liked "All Quiet on the Western Front."

Craigy

Soccah said:
I loved Night.

I believe my English class will be reading that second semester. A friend of mine read it and really enjoyed it. It was also on Oprah, I believe.

kidstaple

When I was 14 (2 years ago), I took a summer trip with my middle school to Washington D.C., we took a trip to the Holocaust Museum, (One of only a few, that they ever erected). When I was there, I picked up The Dairy of Anne Frank. Even though I'm a boy, and boys usually don't read that stuff, I did. I got, maybe 1/3 of the way through it, until I couldn't read it anymore. Not that it was emotional or anything, but after I walked through the museum, I realized how gruesome and deppressing the book was, I couldn't read it anymore. When I finally got home from my trip, I handed it to my father, and told him to put it away, were I couldn't see it, because everytime I looked at the cover I thought I was going to be sick. ( Just thinking about it right, is starting to make me feel that way, and I just ate two egg sandwiches). Anyways, That was 2 years ago, and I still haven't asked my father for it.... Never plan too.... I suspect, that one of these day's, when my parents have departed this world, I'll be going through their stuff, (I'm and only child), and stumble upon it. Maybe then, I'll read it all the way through.

strangedaze

hmmmmm...

from what i understand, frank's diary was really hacked to pieces and heavily edited. and from what i hear, some lesbian content got axed.

wiesel's Night scarred me for life. great book.