Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

An intro of sorts. (1 Viewer)

Torus34

It's 9 a.m. EDT here in Tottenville. Were you in my dining room right now, you'd see an old geezer sitting at a keyboard, typing with two fingers and a thumb, a cup of coffee at his right hand. I'm retired, a scientist by training. Loquacious, I was born without a [PAUSE] button. Professionally, I wrote specifications, procedures and other dry as dust mumblings in the third person indifferent. I've also written for journals on horticulture, philately and astronomy, among other nooks and crannies of human interests.

Once free from the shackles of my 9 to 5, I've chugged out some prose and, hopefully, poetic [Ed.: He distinguishes between 'poetic' and 'poetry', folks,] scribbles. Sometimes what I write is serious in intent, sometimes it's an attempt at humor. It depends.

Words are my Lego(r) blocks.

Looking forward to posting. Looking forward to chats.

Jim

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hey, Jim! Glad to have you here to geez with us. No geezer should geez alone.

I think "third person indifferent" is extremely descriptive and I am adding it to my lexicon. Sadly, I cannot offer royalties for its use. I also had to look up 'philately' and now I want to have a postage-stamp-collecting character named Holly Philately who goes on a self-improvement journey with the help of a whacky scientist.

So bring on the scribbles, we can handle it, and likewise the chatting!

All the best,
Foxee

Torus34

Hellloooo, Foxee!

From your post, I suspect I can shift from a walk to a trot and from a trot to a full gallop and you'll be right alongside, not even breaking a sweat! My morning's brighter already. I'm mucking around in my dustbin looking for stuff suitable for my mandatory first 10 posts. See ya later.

j

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome from a fellow geezer - retired Silicon Valley design engineer. Life expanded to fill the empty spaces after I left my job - now I write.

Torus34

Welcome from a fellow geezer - retired Silicon Valley design engineer. Life expanded to fill the empty spaces after I left my job - now I write.

Hi! And thank you for the welcome.

I find writing to be a gentle exercise for the mind and still not a strain at my advanced age. Happily, with the advances of Silicon Valley, I no longer have to sharpen goose quills.

Regards, and wishing you all the best.

Steve_Rivers

Well, that's certainly a broad list of interests you've collected over the years, Jim. I bet a lot of it comes in handy with writing on various subjects.

My uncle is into postage stamps, although he never lets me look at his collection. I cant tell if he thinks Im going to pinch one or put my dirty mits all over them. Are all stamp-collectors that paranoid? heh

Either way, welcome to the forums Jim!

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
hi @Torus34 and welcome to our creative community. My husband says I was also born without a 'pause' button. ho hum-

You have a good range of interests which makes for good writing fodder ... poetry and prose.

Torus34

Well, that's certainly a broad list of interests you've collected over the years, Jim. I bet a lot of it comes in handy with writing on various subjects.

My uncle is into postage stamps, although he never lets me look at his collection. I cant tell if he thinks Im going to pinch one or put my dirty mits all over them. Are all stamp-collectors that paranoid? heh

Either way, welcome to the forums Jim!

Hi, Steve!

Stamp collectors run the gamut. Those who collect really expensive stamps do tend to be careful of them. In the upper ranges, condition affects price big time.

Anyhow, I've been lucky to have many opportunities to try all sorts of things over the years. Writing has the advantage of being do-able long after the physical ability to do a number of other things has gone bye-bye.

Thank you for the welcome!

Jim

Torus34

hi @Torus34 and welcome to our creative community. My husband says I was also born without a 'pause' button. ho hum-

You have a good range of interests which makes for good writing fodder ... poetry and prose.

Hi!

Thank you for taking time to post a Welcome.

It's been a full life. I try to write about things I know. I love word play and am capable of some really groan-worthy puns.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Hello Jim, welcome! From one newbie (to the forums) to another.

I'm a technical writer by profession and fully immersed in the 9 to 5 grind... so, as the kids say, I know that feel, bro. Looking forward to reading your work, already delighted with your prose style.

Torus34

Hello Jim, welcome! From one newbie (to the forums) to another.

I'm a technical writer by profession and fully immersed in the 9 to 5 grind... so, as the kids say, I know that feel, bro. Looking forward to reading your work, already delighted with your prose style.

Hi! And thank you.

Technical writing's its own form of strait jacket. Trying to assure that anyone, in fact, everyone in the intended audience understands exactly what's written means going back over copy again and again. Charged with writing the CE documentation for my company, I darned near wore out a keyboard! I can't say I'm sorry to leave all that behind. These days, retired, Knocking out a bit of doggerel's a personal act of rebellion! [Ed.: Or a declaration of freedom. Take your pick.]

Keep the [technical writer's] faith.

Stay safe 'n well.

j