Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Amazon Publishing (1 Viewer)

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
is amazon publishing is useful or easy?

Publishing on Kindle can be a simple matter, but I don't know about "useful." It really all depends on your skills in formatting and figuring out how you want your pages to look. For example, books are typically printed in single space, with no spaces between paragraphs. The pages are double sided, so sometimes you may have to put in a blank page so that your chapters begin on the left side of the book, if that's what you determine. You have to know if you want a table of contents, if there will be a prologue and what font you may want to use on the type and also for the Chapter Heading. Give it all some thought before you start.

When you publish on Kindle, you can download a template in a variety of sizes for paperback books. You will be responsible for the Cover art and formatting all of it, including the back cover. The template is very helpful, but it is important to go through the book several times to be sure your pages look as they should. You have to be patient!

I have published three books on Kindle. They give you an opportunity to purchase (at a small price) a proof, which was really helpful. I was having trouble "seeing" the book, so I ordered one proof and marked it up quite a bit. Then I went back and updated what needed and ordered 10 copies.

I make very, very little money with Kindle, but I'm sure if were more aggressive and promoting my books, I would be more successful. You can download the templates for free to see how it goes, if you just want to try it out. Good luck!

Sue :)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
The template is very helpful, but it is important to go through the book several times to be sure your pages look as they should. You have to be patient!

Indeed. My paperbacks are always slightly different copy than my eBook. I make sure to eliminate orphan lines, as they run up the print price ... adding pages for one or two lines on that page.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I've used Amazon's KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) for all my books and have never had a problem.

I download the 6x9 word template and copy my individual chapters over.

Of course, there is some formatting to do; there are no automated upload and formatting processes because getting it right is too complicated.

First, add your title (etc), ISBN, copyright, disclaimer, etc. (ETA: add header, footer page numbers)
Second, upload each chapter - up until this point I keep them as separate word files.
Third, change the chapter headers to the right format and make sure they are consistent.
Fourth, change your scene separators so they are consistent.
Fifth, chapters need to start on odd number pages (so they are on the right when the book is opened). Add blank pages as necessary.
Sixth, add the Afterword (if there is one), and author bio
Seventh, format your TOC (table of contents)

I read the book again to make sure everything looks ok.
Then I upload it.

Covers:
There's a template for this, but to download the correct one you need to know the number of pages in your book (it's a spline thickness issue). That's what my cover designer works with. If you do your own work, that template is your canvas.

This sounds more complicated than it actually is.

ETA:
I use the same file when I upload kindle content. I'm trying to recall which it is... but I believe kindle prefers PDF format, but the hardcopy uses standard Word format.

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I've used Amazon's KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) for all my books and have never had a problem.

I download the 6x9 word template and copy my individual chapters over.

Of course, there is some formatting to do; there are no automated upload and formatting processes because getting it right is too complicated.

First, add your title (etc), ISBN, copyright, disclaimer, etc. (ETA: add header, footer page numbers)
Second, upload each chapter - up until this point I keep them as separate word files.
Third, change the chapter headers to the right format and make sure they are consistent.
Fourth, change your scene separators so they are consistent.
Fifth, chapters need to start on odd number pages (so they are on the right when the book is opened). Add blank pages as necessary.
Sixth, add the Afterword (if there is one), and author bio
Seventh, format your TOC (table of contents)

I read the book again to make sure everything looks ok.
Then I upload it.

Covers:
There's a template for this, but to download the correct one you need to know the number of pages in your book (it's a spline thickness issue). That's what my cover designer works with. If you do your own work, that template is your canvas.

This sounds more complicated than it actually is.

ETA:
I use the same file when I upload kindle content. I'm trying to recall which it is... but I believe kindle prefers PDF format, but the hardcopy uses standard Word format.

Thanks for the detailed instructions indianroads. Can you go back in and edit after you have uploaded it?

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Thanks for the detailed instructions indianroads. Can you go back in and edit after you have uploaded it?

I use docx files for both Kindle and paperback.

You can upload revisions as often as you please. They will take from hours to a couple of days to go live.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I use docx files for both Kindle and paperback.

You can upload revisions as often as you please. They will take from hours to a couple of days to go live.

Yes - as vranger said - just upload a new one. The engineer in me insists I make a copy and revise that, then upload it.

So how does the paperback version work? Does Amazon just print to order? Otherwise it would be different.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
So how does the paperback version work? Does Amazon just print to order? Otherwise it would be different.

Yes, they're Print on Demand (POD).

I create a separate project for the POD version as opposed to the Kindle version, because formatting requirements are enough different to justify it. As mentioned above, one reason is to eliminate orphaned lines.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes, they're Print on Demand (POD).

I create a separate project for the POD version as opposed to the Kindle version, because formatting requirements are enough different to justify it. As mentioned above, one reason is to eliminate orphaned lines.

Once it's formatted for print I go back in and look for stray lines separated by a page break. It's usually simple to change wording (etc) to make the breaks clean.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Does Kindle or Amazon provide any marketing support? If yes, what do they provide, and how useful do you find it?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Does Kindle or Amazon provide any marketing support? If yes, what do they provide, and how useful do you find it?

You can advertise on Amazon - which can be pricey, but it's where people go when they're looking for a book to buy, so it's better (IMO) than other venues like Facebook.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
You can advertise on Amazon - which can be pricey, but it's where people go when they're looking for a book to buy, so it's better (IMO) than other venues like Facebook.

So you have to pay for all marketing? You don't get some basic marketing with the package?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
So you have to pay for all marketing? You don't get some basic marketing with the package?

No - we have to pay for it. The marketing is coupled with KDP - but you don't have to use it if you only want to advertise outside of Amazon.

ETA: Putting your book for sale on Amazon is free.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
No - we have to pay for it. The marketing is coupled with KDP - but you don't have to use it if you only want to advertise outside of Amazon.

ETA: Putting your book for sale on Amazon is free.

Wow...I did not know that! So my first thought is how does Amazon have enough server space to handle the massive amounts of books that must get uploaded everyday. My second thought was, do they play any role in quality control?

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Wow...I did not know that! So my first thought is how does Amazon have enough server space to handle the massive amounts of books that must get uploaded everyday. My second thought was, do they play any role in quality control?

Amazon has more server farms than anyone else you can name, and book size files are trivial.

No, they play NO role in quality control. People can, and DO, upload the worst garbage you can imagine.