Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

All Things Rejection! (2 Viewers)

EternalGreen

I got a helpful rejection today: "The imagery was quite beautiful and the plot was intriguing, but by the end [we] thought the plot raised more questions about the character's identity than it answered. The plot was a bit too vague."

Well, that sounds easy to fix for the next submission.

It sounds like, for speculative fiction, I need to remember to have a clarifying scene.

BornForBurning

It sounds like, for speculative fiction, I need to remember to have a clarifying scene
Depends on the editor. But I would generally agree, even the more experimental mags have a more cut-and-dried approach to storytelling.

EternalGreen

I used to complain that so many stories are told the same way. Now I see why that is.

It reminds me of the obligatory "paranormal expert" scene in speculative horror films.

I remember reading a book that took at least one chapter explaining what a vampire is. "Please," I begged the author, "stop."

But that's what editors tend towards.

(I'm not being salty about the rejection I just got; this is just a related and relevant tangent.)

Tiamat

Patron
Don't feel bad. Clarkesworld has been crushing everyone's dreams for some time now, myself included.
They're something of a bucket list market for me so really, it just inspires me to keep trying. And the fact that they're so quick makes submitting to them less daunting, even knowing the likelihood of rejection. :)

Matchu

Seeing everybody get swiped I threw some awful write into Clarkesworld, and to give me a lift for Wensday/Thursday.

'In Progress' over a month with my two heavyweights. And obviously all editors sitting there like dogs under visors discussing my talents. 'Rejection' shall arrive in junk box 4am when I will/and must re-assess all, every life choices. Walk into the sea. Fantasy has sustained since January, at the 'talking to strangers' level...'you know how I'm in progress at Granta, doctor?'

ehbowen

Received a very quick, "Not interested but thanks for playing!" rejection from an agent at Credo. But there's more fish in the sea....

ScifiWriter

I got sick of rejections until I found the right publisher that needed a book exactly as I presented it.
Find the perfect publisher / agent for exactly what you are writing.
You do need a killer query letter, though. It has to nail the market - your targeted readers.
And you must give them a grammatically perfect sample. It MUST be copy edited... must.
They will count errors and bounce your submission on the third error for sure.
JMHO

Tiamat

Patron
I got a rejection from The New Yorker today. I've sent them several stories to consider, and I've never once gotten a reply. Plus, their submission guidelines specifically state that they only reply when interested and to assume rejection if you haven't heard from them in 90 days. Today is day 91 and it was just a form rejection, but... does that mean they actually, seriously, for realz considered my piece that they specifically took time to send a reply?

No idea, but that's what I'm going to assume. Y'ALL I *ALMOST* GOT PUBLISHED BY THE NEW YORKER! :lol:

Tiamat

Patron
In the last three days, I've received form rejections from Fireside, PodCastle, Cossmass, and the Missouri Review. I sent a query letter to Asimov's last weekend since it's been longer than the 45 days their website says should be the max, so I really hope I get my "thanks but no thanks" letter this week. You know, just to really round out the collection. :lol:

Monaque

In the last three days, I've received form rejections from Fireside, PodCastle, Cossmass, and the Missouri Review. I sent a query letter to Asimov's last weekend since it's been longer than the 45 days their website says should be the max, so I really hope I get my "thanks but no thanks" letter this week. You know, just to really round out the collection. :lol:

Does anyone ever get published in Asimov's? Never heard of your first three so I bought a Cossmass magazine since it was Sci-Fi, just to check them out.

Matchu

So, spend three years writing the story, thirteen seconds writing the letter to dear editor Matchu Matchu Matchu although not so much these days, he loves his cat and by the way the job is awful at the moment love to you all from an idiot says my 150 words bio. Finally print the story and attach this bio to it so everybody in the world hates me.

Monaque

So, spend three years writing the story, thirteen seconds writing the letter to dear editor Matchu Matchu Matchu although not so much these days, he loves his cat and by the way the job is awful at the moment love to you all from an idiot says my 150 words bio. Finally print the story and attach this bio to it so everybody in the world hates me.
Does seem like it, time spent - time rejected = crazy. Not everyone hates you though Mat. :friendly_wink:

Users who are viewing this thread