Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

All Things Rejection! (4 Viewers)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Recently I had a really good experience with rejection. I submitted a piece to one journal and they promptly rejected it. Then I submitted it to another magazine, a much better market (a higher prestige market), and they immediately accepted it. I'm so glad the first market rejected my work because that helped me get my work into a journal I thought was well above my writing capabilities. (Now and then I like to remind myself that rejection isn't always a bad thing.)

Tiamat

Patron
Anybody ever submit to TQR? The readers post public, forum-like comments about the submissions, so you get some pretty good insights as to how your story landed with various readers. A few months ago, mine made it all the way up to the head editor with mostly favorable comments along the way, but the top guy there ultimately rejected the story--not because he didn't think it was solid, but because he thought the subject matter too bleak. It's not an unreasonable criticism of that particular story, and even though they didn't buy the piece, it was still heartening to see that the story landed well with 3/4 readers.

Matchu

I sent something to them because they looked funny. Maybe they will destroy my life? Yes, fifty dollars, umm, well I've done it now. Perhaps they have a billion readers, the NEW movement?

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I just remembered another positive experience with rejection. I sent a prose poem to a publication and it was rejected. A few month's later that same editor contacted me and asked if she could use my piece after all. Of course I said yes and my prose poem was published in the spring of this year.

Last edited:

Matchu

I got quite excited about them. But look at it...take a second look...like I should have done. There's nobody there, the last anthology published 2015 to no review, whatsoever.

I really hope I'm wrong. I hope even they're fledgling/coming back to life. But from my 'clicks' it appears to be two, or three people. It's dispiriting, I wish them luck.

[or have I missed something, a massive active board?]

JJBuchholz

I got quite excited about them. But look at it...take a second look...like I should have done. There's nobody there, the last anthology published 2015 to no review, whatsoever.

I sent a short story to them this morning, and got a response in the late afternoon saying that my story is being read and evaluated.

They are definitely there!

-JJB

JJBuchholz

This is what I got back from TQR this morning:

When my boys were little, the only TV shows I censored were WWF wrestling and the Saturday morning G.I. Joe cartoons. The former struck me as sadism for the stupid and the latter imperialism for the idiotic. So, needless to say, my thematic biases against this Onslaught cap, even if it had been competently penned and edited rather than chock full of mispunctuated speech tags and incorrect and missing words, would have compelled me to spread it on the Floor, urinate and (if Carol would just turn her head) possibly defecate on it so as to impart to its too many pages enough weight and substance that the trebuchet we keep always at the ready here might sling the soggy mass as deep into the Porthole as possible.

Needless to say, I will NEVER send them anything else ever again.

-JJB

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
This is what I got back from TQR this morning:

When my boys were little, the only TV shows I censored were WWF wrestling and the Saturday morning G.I. Joe cartoons. The former struck me as sadism for the stupid and the latter imperialism for the idiotic. So, needless to say, my thematic biases against this Onslaught cap, even if it had been competently penned and edited rather than chock full of mispunctuated speech tags and incorrect and missing words, would have compelled me to spread it on the Floor, urinate and (if Carol would just turn her head) possibly defecate on it so as to impart to its too many pages enough weight and substance that the trebuchet we keep always at the ready here might sling the soggy mass as deep into the Porthole as possible.

Needless to say, I will NEVER send them anything else ever again.

-JJB
*adds to 2021 goals*
*'cuz one solid wow-that*
*can motivate*

sorry the response was, umm...intensely vivid.
sometimes less is more.

best,
:(

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
I was speechless as well. Then sad, angry, confused. I have NEVER seen any rejection that vile before.

-JJB

If the purpose was to prevent you sending them anything else, it's certainly worked, but surely they must realise that with the worldwide web around, their rejection letter might be publicised. Even if they thought your writing was total crap, there are more professional ways of saying so that would deter you from submitting to them again.
Here's the rub though: due to their rudeness they have deterred others from submitting to them - others who they might wish to publish.
I've just sent them a message - using a fake email address that is very unlikely to belong to anyone.

JJBuchholz

Even if they thought your writing was total crap, there are more professional ways of saying so that would deter
you from submitting to them again.

I'm no stranger to rejections, and I've received some that really hurt. That being said, all the rejections I have received (minus this one) have
maintained an air of professionalism, even when harsh.

This one was so vile and disgusting, that I had to share it here. I have never seen this before, nor do I wish it on anyone.

I've just sent them a message - using a fake email address that is very unlikely to belong to anyone.

Interesting. I wouldn't mind knowing how this turns out.

-JJB

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
This rejection looks like it came from a thoroughly nasty individual. I think it's disgusting what he said to you, JJB. How I wish people could stop even looking at their guidelines. It's too bad they can get so many hits and can set up so many people to try to destroy their belief in their work. A professional "no thank you" would have served just fine as a rejection but this jerk of a person had to take it into deliberate nastiness. JJB will never submit work there again and I will never even take a look there now (thanks to the results JB posted). That's unfortunate because it by our refusals to take a look he's hurting the poets he's published already. I hope they take notice of his nastiness and demand that he remove their work. I don't know why cruel comments have become so "cool," so in style lately. Enough with the cruelty!

Matchu

Yes, it was a most unpleasant post about your write on their public forum. However, that is their thing, it is what they do.

If it is any consolation my own personal public rejection/humiliation upon their forum made me never want to ever write anything ever ever again, affected my mood/ego/maybe my mental health considerably for several days, including today...the ‘yes, I am a jerk’ sensation, kind of thing.

So...writers be wary of TQR :/

JJBuchholz

This rejection looks like it came from a thoroughly nasty individual. I think it's disgusting what he said to you, JJB. How I wish people could stop even looking at their guidelines. It's too bad they can get so many hits and can set up so many people to try to destroy their belief in their work. A professional "no thank you" would have served just fine as a rejection but this jerk of a person had to take it into deliberate nastiness.

As writers, we are used to rejection letters that come in many forms. I myself have been rejected many, many times in the last four years since I started sending my
work out to publishers. That being said, these people went above and beyond (for the wrong reasons) what other publishers would do. I received some stern rejections,
with one even telling me that, "We don't publish sub-par work like yours."

That's fine, I can take that. But this rejection and the language it contained was so vile, the likes of which I have never encountered before. There is absolutely no
reason for anyone to be like this.

I don't know why cruel comments have become so "cool," so in style lately. Enough with the cruelty!

Some people seem to get off on being nasty and hurtful to other people. The reason why this bothered me so much is because I've had a rough few years, and
2020 has been the roughest ride so far (even though I got something published this year) and has left me completely stressed out and freaked about almost everything
right now. Writing is the only thing keeping me going, and to see that response was just....disheartening.

I really appreciate everyone here, as well as the kind words from all you. Thank you.

-JJB

BornForBurning

If the purpose was to prevent you sending them anything else, it's certainly worked, but surely they must realise that with the worldwide web around, their rejection letter might be publicised
TQR publicizes their rejection letters. I agree that it's disgusting, vile, evil, etc. But I also agree with Matchu...what were you expecting? Those guys are an open book. Take it or leave it. Don't play their game and then get upset when you get slammed by their rules. And for the record, I leave it. I don't believe in supporting that kind of thing. But regardless, see above. It's like people that go on imageboards to scream about how terrible imageboards are. What's even the bloody point?

Users who are viewing this thread