Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

All Things Rejection! (3 Viewers)

Tiamat

Patron
I suppose that's one option, sure. These days, I've become more of an all or nothing kinda gal, so if I can't find a pro market to take it, I toss it in my "Bad" folder and walk away.

BornForBurning

These days, I've become more of an all or nothing kinda gal, so if I can't find a pro market to take it, I toss it in my "Bad" folder and walk away.
I honestly think that's a bad assumption. I've seen plenty of good stuff from good authors published in semi-pro or even token mags. But if you can't get it published, you can't get it published, I suppose.

Tiamat

Patron
I'm not saying that if a pro market won't take it the story is bad (regardless of what my folder is named). But I also find that if I don't settle for a lower paying market, I can reuse ideas. As a for instance, I wrote a story about a sentient Roomba and couldn't sell it. (It was objectively bad, but that's not the point here.) I have a story coming out next month in F&SF that includes (but is not specifically about) a sentient Roomba.

Recycling: it's not just good for the planet. :)

Serendipity

I especially dread the quick rejections. Getting one of those is like a defendant getting a guilty verdict at a trial. A fast verdict is always bad. A quick response from a publisher is rarely good news!

Steve_Rivers

I'm not saying that if a pro market won't take it the story is bad (regardless of what my folder is named). But I also find that if I don't settle for a lower paying market, I can reuse ideas. As a for instance, I wrote a story about a sentient Roomba and couldn't sell it. (It was objectively bad, but that's not the point here.) I have a story coming out next month in F&SF that includes (but is not specifically about) a sentient Roomba.

Recycling: it's not just good for the planet. :)

You need to give it some cool speakers and an mp3 player to make it hip and appeal to the kids, Tia ;) hehe

https://parksandrecreation.fandom.com/wiki/DJ_Roomba

Users who are viewing this thread