Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ahoy everyone ~ (1 Viewer)

My name is Tony Palm, Jr. and have just self-published a 10-chapter, 95K word memoir about my father's life. Dad and I spent all of 2020 talking on the phone every Wednesday afternoon during which I interviewed him in depth about every aspect of his life. It was an extraordinary process during which I uncovered nuggets of hitherto unknown family-lore. Although I thought I knew every story of my Dad’s life, many were a complete surprise.

Between the countless calls, research, and requests for information, it often seemed I was engaged in a never-ending effort. In retrospect, it has been a journey of joyous discovery about my father, his and my mother's families, and the entire Johnstown, Pennsylvania area where we both grew up.

We also grew immeasurably closer and I’ve gained a deeper insight into the people and events that shaped his life. I have a newfound respect for him, the challenges he overcame, and the extraordinary level of service and sacrifice he devoted to his family, his community, and his country.

At the ripe old age of 64, I've found a passion for writing that in intend to explore. Joining this group is one way I hope to do that.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
eeey, Ton-YY! (possibly a mob sort of greeting)

Don't know if you're still in the same location but if so in PA terms we're practically next door (Or "Down the road a little bit") as I am in the Pittsburgh area.

Your father's memoir sounds like it was quite a project. I'm happy to hear that it's fired a love of writing and that you found your way to WF. You're in good company.

(well...except for a few sketchy people.) Just kidding. See you around the boards!

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome! That sounds like a significant project and a great basis for your writing career.

TWErvin2

Tony Palm, Jr.,

Finding the passion to write can arrive at any age!

Glad you joined us here.

Terry