Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Advice on a Title (1 Viewer)

Peterf

I'm writing a book that consists of four novelas. The theme for all the titles is music, each is also the title of a song.

Seize the Day:

Fourteen-year-old cocaine dealer who ends up in several fights that end in the deaths of a close friend and his pregnant thirteen-year-old girlfriend.

Dirty Little Secrets:

Fourteen-year-old boy rapes and murders his five-year-old cousin. HE covers it up with the help of his older brother, and the ensuing events send him swirling through his and his brother's pasts to see all the dirty little secrets that led to that event.

My Michelle:

A twelve-year-old girl named Michelle does everything in her power to get popular. At the end she is pregnant and her best friend is AIDS positive.

The Wicked End:

An Avenged Sevenfold obsessed teen forms a group with his friends known as the Seven Avenged to take revenge on their bullies. Things get out of hand and people end up dead.

I need a title for the whole book. It needs to be the name of a song, but I can't think of any that properly summarise the theme. I was thinking of Smells Like Teen Spirit, but that's all I have. I would like some help please.

GraysonMoran

"Underage"? Teens are teen-age, right?

Titles might not be protectable, but I'm think using the Cobain title for a book might be a problem in many people's head. Like calling a book Sergeant Peppers or something.

Maybe you could come up with an inclusive musical title. Joan Didion did a novel called "The White Album" (which was not the actual Beatles title, by the way).

Something like "The Lost EP" or "Hit Singles" (you get some entendre play with that one) or "MP3's From Hell" or "Short Cuts" there are a lot of good terms out there floating around.

T.N. Kettman

Sour Notes. Broken Strings. Untuned Instruments. Broken Records. Scratched Records. The Uncut Album. Life: The Uncut Version.

Niko90

you can also do the opposite, like making a title that makes you think its a happy book or something, like some of the most popular books I've read (can't remember names, sorry)

Niko90

M

MOONLIGHT SKYWRITER

I'm writing a book that consists of four novelas. The theme for all the titles is music, each is also the title of a song.

Seize the Day:

Fourteen-year-old cocaine dealer who ends up in several fights that end in the deaths of a close friend and his pregnant thirteen-year-old girlfriend.

Dirty Little Secrets:

Fourteen-year-old boy rapes and murders his five-year-old cousin. HE covers it up with the help of his older brother, and the ensuing events send him swirling through his and his brother's pasts to see all the dirty little secrets that led to that event.

My Michelle:

A twelve-year-old girl named Michelle does everything in her power to get popular. At the end she is pregnant and her best friend is AIDS positive.

The Wicked End:

An Avenged Sevenfold obsessed teen forms a group with his friends known as the Seven Avenged to take revenge on their bullies. Things get out of hand and people end up dead.

I need a title for the whole book. It needs to be the name of a song, but I can't think of any that properly summarise the theme. I was thinking of Smells Like Teen Spirit, but that's all I have. I would like some help please.

How about "Ten Thousand Angels Cried" LeAnn Rimes Or "Running Away From Love" Bob Marley

Cefor

WF Veterans
Survive - Rise Against seems appropriate. One problem though, unless you aren't planning on selling these stories I doubt very much that you could take the names of the songs like that... Just a small issue, I hope that all goes well with whatever it is you are planning though.

Cefor

Peterf

I don't know where I used a Cobain title. All American Rejects, Avenged Sevenfold twice and Guns N Roses

Bilston Blue

WF Veterans
A play on the GnR album Appetite for Destruction, you could go with Appetite for Disaster.

Alternatively; Dirty Pretty Things.