Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Active Editing? (1 Viewer)

DickRichard

Friends of WF
Hi all.
New to the forums (as you can tell), and i just had a question which I couldn't find answered like i was hoping for on google.

A little back story, I'm 22 years old, I work a full time job as a Machine Technician and a full time girlfriend. Ive always been super into books and into writing. Ive always loved reading stories and writing them. Possibly my favorite series was written by John Flanagan called the Rangers Apprentice which somehow caused me to actually cry when i finished the last book just from the sadness of finishing that perfect series. A couple of other standouts for me are The Stand by Steven King, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, and the Apocalypse Crusade by Peter Meredith.

Enough about my backstory though. Time for my question.

I was just curious if anyone else does what i do. But while im writing, i find myself writing out a paragraph that just completely counteracts what i wrote 1-3 paragraphs back, or even a whole page. I than have to go back and edit those paragraphs or that page to fit to the new paragraph i just wrote out. Sometimes completely deleting those paragraphs or pages and restarting them.

Like i said, i was just curious if anyone else does that. If you do, do you finish that page or chapter than go back and edit what you need, or do you just charge through a book, get a super rough outline of what you want, than go back and edit page by page? This seems like a hard way to do things but i wouldnt doubt it if people do that. Everyones writing and editing style is different.

Apologies for any grammar issues. Ive always messed up Their there and too to. I also find myself capitalizing random words and sometimes not capitalizing them at all. I also tend to leave out apostrophes and commas. Because of that, my girlfriend, edits alot of my writing.

Also, i have a second question that i just thought of.

Does anyone know of a place where i can post pieces of my stories and get an objective set of eyes? My girlfriend says she loves my stories and they tend to hold her attention, but shes also not a super big reader and im not sure if shes just saying that because shes supposed to say that or because she actually enjoys my writing.

Anyway, thanks peeps. Again, i apologize for my grammar or lack thereof.

Last edited:

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
i was just curious if anyone else does that. If you do, do you finish that page or chapter than go back and edit what you need, or do you just charge through a book, get a super rough outline of what you want, than go back and edit page by page?
Yes, I do that, and I edit it there and then. I'm not a writer that can plough through till the end and then re-edit; I have to edit as I go, otherwise I will lose the feel of the story. Besides, I'll forget any mistakes that I made if I leave them til later!

Does anyone know of a place where i can post pieces of my stories and get an objective set of eyes?

What, you mean like a ... like a writing forum? Why, yes, I know a place! Right here! https://www.writingforums.com/forums/fiction-workshop.11/ :)

DickRichard

Friends of WF
Yes, I do that, and I edit it there and then. I'm not a writer that can plough through till the end and then re-edit; I have to edit as I go, otherwise I will lose the feel of the story. Besides, I'll forget any mistakes that I made if I leave them til later!

What, you mean like a ... like a writing forum? Why, yes, I know a place! Right here! https://www.writingforums.com/forums/fiction-workshop.11/ :)
Thank you for the response, a follow up question, how do i gain permissions to look at the fiction workshop? It says i lack permissions to view, which im sure is related to my new account.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Hi all.
New to the forums (as you can tell), and i just had a question which I couldn't find answered like i was hoping for on google.

A little back story, I'm 22 years old, I work a full time job as a Machine Technician and a full time girlfriend. Ive always been super into books and into writing. Ive always loved reading stories and writing them. Possibly my favorite series was written by John Flanagan called the Rangers Apprentice which somehow caused me to actually cry when i finished the last book just from the sadness of finishing that perfect series. A couple of other standouts for me are The Stand by Steven King, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, and the Apocalypse Crusade by Peter Meredith.

Enough about my backstory though. Time for my question.

I was just curious if anyone else does what i do. But while im writing, i find myself writing out a paragraph that just completely counteracts what i wrote 1-3 paragraphs back, or even a whole page. I than have to go back and edit those paragraphs or that page to fit to the new paragraph i just wrote out. Sometimes completely deleting those paragraphs or pages and restarting them.

Like i said, i was just curious if anyone else does that. If you do, do you finish that page or chapter than go back and edit what you need, or do you just charge through a book, get a super rough outline of what you want, than go back and edit page by page? This seems like a hard way to do things but i wouldnt doubt it if people do that. Everyones writing and editing style is different.

Apologies for any grammar issues. Ive always messed up Their there and too to. I also find myself capitalizing random words and sometimes not capitalizing them at all. I also tend to leave out apostrophes and commas. Because of that, my girlfriend, edits alot of my writing.

Also, i have a second question that i just thought of.

Does anyone know of a place where i can post pieces of my stories and get an objective set of eyes? My girlfriend says she loves my stories and they tend to hold her attention, but shes also not a super big reader and im not sure if shes just saying that because shes supposed to say that or because she actually enjoys my writing.

Anyway, thanks peeps. Again, i apologize for my grammar or lack thereof.
I edit as I go right now because I'm honing my craft, but when I write without restraints or craft objectives, I would go back and do it there and then. If it's a big change or something I want to add in because later down the line I've veered off course, I'd go back and write a note in red for the rewrites. Something like 'Mentions John has an allergy to cats' or 'Mention June is scared of heights'.

As far as getting writing help is concerned, there are several places on the forum for that:

Grammar:

Craft help (read the OP):

General story feedback (you'll need 10 posts to post here)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I tend to write a lot of very mixed-quality work before I get around to editing. With shorter pieces
I might write out the whole thing before thinking about a tidy up, though if something pops into my head I will make a note nearby. There are several reasons for this (a) I don't like interrupting my flow by constantly checking back (b) when I get to the later editing, it's highly likely I'll end up cutting a whole chunk out; fine tuning such a chunk would be wasted effort if it's to be cut (c) fine tuning can sometimes become tedious and I find it too easy to get bogged down with details and lose sight of the bigger picture.
Some of those are about my flawed make-up: your flaws may be different from mine.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Thank you for the response, a follow up question, how do i gain permissions to look at the fiction workshop? It says i lack permissions to view, which im sure is related to my new account.
Ah yep you might need to make ten posts before you can post there. Have a read of some work there, see if you can comment on it - that's a handy way to get the post count up.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner

I used to do this all the time and it was killing my productivity! I could never complete a project because I kept going back to rewrite and rework a particular section. I had one instance where I spent a week on chapter 1 because I kept trying to improve the opening. Trouble was, all the changes weren't necessarily making the passage better, just different. Took me much longer than I care to admit, but I eventually figured out I'm just not the type of person that can edit as I go, so now I refuse to make any changes until the entire project is complete. Definitely not something that will work for everyone, but it's what I have to do if I ever want to make progress on anything.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
At the moment, I'm writing one word, one sentence, one paragraph, one scene at a time. I will stop to consider if the word I've used carries any unnecessary baggage or if another word could add an extra dimension to what I'm trying to convey. I won't let a sentence pass without editing it and once again considering the implications of that one sentence. When I have a full paragraph, I'll keep going over that paragraph to smooth it or sharpen it, and again checking for any possible implications beyond the words on the page. If I spot a bad one I'll edit more. If I spot an interesting subtext, I'll edit more ... and then on to the next word, sentence, paragraph. Once I have a scene written, I'll do all the above but on a bigger scale.

The reason for that level of scrutiny is that I'm practising my craft and building a style/voice. I'm building 'muscle memory'. I've given myself until this Feb to continue this approach but it will change when the time is up. What I intend to do from that point on is write so many words per day. 500 to start with, then 1000 and eventually upping that to 2000 words. At the end of each day, I'll go over the piece and do some editing but not until I've written my allotted number of words.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
At the moment, I'm writing one word, one sentence, one paragraph, one scene at a time. I will stop to consider if the word I've used carries any unnecessary baggage or if another word could add an extra dimension to what I'm trying to convey. I won't let a sentence pass without editing it and once again considering the implications of that one sentence. When I have a full paragraph, I'll keep going over that paragraph to smooth it or sharpen it, and again checking for any possible implications beyond the words on the page. If I spot a bad one I'll edit more. If I spot an interesting subtext, I'll edit more ... and then on to the next word, sentence, paragraph. Once I have a scene written, I'll do all the above but on a bigger scale.

The reason for that level of scrutiny is that I'm practising my craft and building a style/voice. I'm building 'muscle memory'. I've given myself until this Feb to continue this approach but it will change when the time is up. What I intend to do from that point on is write so many words per day. 500 to start with, then 1000 and eventually upping that to 2000 words. At the end of each day, I'll go over the piece and do some editing but not until I've written my allotted number of words.
It's good to see there are multiple approaches. Yours differs from mine but it's important for me to know that all ways can work in case I need to change in the future. I suspect that your way would need me to become a lot more self disciplined - not one of my stronger traits.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
It's good to see there are multiple approaches. Yours differs from mine but it's important for me to know that all ways can work in case I need to change in the future. I suspect that your way would need me to become a lot more self disciplined - not one of my stronger traits.
Discipline is the key and perhaps a massive slice of stubbornness. If I set a goal, I'll stick with that goal even if it's driving me crazy, which it has many times in the last year. I can't wait to take the stabilisers off and just GO! I'm excited to find out what I look like on the page when I write without looking back ... and a little terrified if I'm being perfectly honest.