Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

accused of being a foreigner constantly I have been (1 Viewer)

kunox

Have you ever had someone accuse you of being a foreigner. I sometimes get hypomanic and my editing slips but because of that and my hobbies being anime and a couple other things I get thus you shouldn't commit ment on {add thing here} because you don't live in the usa. please I live in the deep south. that's georgia the state not the country. is it just me or when people can't grasp with your ideas they seek anyway possible{this includes spelling errors.} to invalidate your ideas. I get very tied up on conversations and my hypomania does not make things any better though. lol.. I am just tired of those people who just assume I am a foreigner. what is all of your thoughts on this.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
There are certain linguistic cues we're hard wired to pick up on. If people are picking up on those, then they're more than likely (either consciously or unconsciously) going to 'assume' you're of foreign descent. I wouldn't take it personally because I'm sure those people would assume for anyone with similar linguistic cues. I've been thought an Australian many times as well as a Londoner. It's not something to get upset about, it's something to set right by having a conversation with said people, or just to be brushed off with a whimsical smile.

I note the word 'accuse' there. Perhaps if you replace that with 'think' you would find it much easier to deal with. :)

Xander416

I don't know if this is quite the same thing as you're asking, but there was one incident on a gaming forum a number of years back where I was part of a discussion whether the Spartans of Greece's Mycenaean period were "the same" as the later Spartans who instituted the heavily militarized society that most people associate with Sparta. My stance was that they aren't because the inhabitants of Mycenaean Sparta were a different ethnic group (Mycenaeans were Achaeans, whereas "300" Spartans were Dorians). One guy responded lambasting me and telling me to "let someone who's not part of BNP speak." I was clueless and asked what "BNP" was, to which another member replied the British Nationalist Party, which to my limited understanding is a right-wing conservative group in UK politics. I was more amused than anything and simply replied to the original poster, "I'm a freaking American, dude. lol"

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Have you ever had someone accuse you of being a foreigner. I sometimes get hypomanic and my editing slips but because of that and my hobbies being anime and a couple other things I get thus you shouldn't commit ment on {add thing here} because you don't live in the usa. please I live in the deep south. that's georgia the state not the country. is it just me or when people can't grasp with your ideas they seek anyway possible{this includes spelling errors.} to invalidate your ideas. I get very tied up on conversations and my hypomania does not make things any better though. lol.. I am just tired of those people who just assume I am a foreigner. what is all of your thoughts on this.

Reading through your post, I see several errors that are fairly typical of those made by people who don't have English as a first language, rather than those that might be typos by native speakers. I suppose that is what people are referring to. However, that's no reason for someone to suggest you avoid commenting on what happens in the USA. I sometimes comment on USA events and I'm a Brit. I even wrote a mocking poem about Trump having a colonoscopy.

kunox

Reading through your post, I see several errors that are fairly typical of those made by people who don't have English as a first language, rather than those that might be typos by native speakers. I suppose that is what people are referring to. However, that's no reason for someone to suggest you avoid commenting on what happens in the USA. I sometimes comment on USA events and I'm a Brit. I even wrote a mocking poem about Trump having a colonoscopy.
agreed. sadly though the education system failed me and thus I need grammarly a heck of a lot of the time to even publish.... the school system I was in was passing me with b's despite me not really being able to focus on the work due to depression and hypomania at the time. sadly instead of deciding to take up the challenge of working with my problems they decided it would be easier to kick the can down the road...

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
agreed. sadly though the education system failed me and thus I need grammarly a heck of a lot of the time to even publish.... the school system I was in was passing me with b's despite me not really being able to focus on the work due to depression and hypomania at the time. sadly instead of deciding to take up the challenge of working with my problems they decided it would be easier to kick the can down the road...

Unfortunately, some education systems are like that. Sometimes they prefer to highlight their most articulate students in order to gain funding, while trying to hide the students who struggle. It's a method that doesn't help society generally.

kunox

Unfortunately, some education systems are like that. Sometimes they prefer to highlight their most articulate students in order to gain funding, while trying to hide the students who struggle. It's a method that doesn't help society generally.
exactly though....

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I am glad Grammarly has been working for you. I also depend on it heavily. I was alphabetized as a child in two languages so these accusations seem to be the same situation that has happened to me. If you want you can try to see if you can get a program. I dont know if you suffer from dyslexia. If you do putting a text on a yellow font to a black background has helped me create a high level of contrast (to see and process better what you are reading). So much that if a work takes a lot of work to understand I now understand it. I do this on medialexie. I change the settings. If you want you can do this in word. I like medialexie more for finding problems in the text. When I don't feel drained from all the demands at home I can offer to read a short piece of yours. We don't hire housekeepers yet because they might have coronavirus. I read a good book today on craft I bought last month. If you have the stamina I would try to read it. I consider better than all the books in my collection. It explains John Truby's ideas and pays a homage to it.

Here is the website of the book. I am planning on taking an emailing course since I liked their book so much. I got all my notes at 15% of the book. So I don't need the physical book. It costed me 12 dollars. I just need to print it all out which I will when I get some chores out of the way and get these done.

Edit: actually I am frustrated with the klingo method.

Kiingo: The Writing University

Here is an example.
w8FVkvZb9AmrwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Attachments

• Image-to-show-what-I-am-talking-about.jpg
    Image-to-show-what-I-am-talking-about.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: