Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

About Kipling's Jungle Book (1 Viewer)

I'm sure you all know about newer versions of older books being edited for content. I'm not sure what it's technically called- but when books like The Jungle Book have been edited for having being too violent for children, and too hard to understand. I would like to know if any of you knew how I can tell which versions are edited, and which are not.
Because I am looking to read The Jungle Book, but I want the original text.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've been stuck on this for weeks.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Abridged is the word you're looking for. You want the unabridged text to read it as he wrote it.

Right. But there's another word for it, I know it. Theres ABRIDGED, and then there was another one. I can't remember what it was though.

Oh, Ha, y'know what? I just remembered it right now as I was talking to my friend. Nevermind.

But still, does anyone know Titles the original Jungle Book goes under?
I mean, like, who publishes the original still?

Hodge

pliable
I'm sure lots of places do... I'd imagine Norton publishes critical editions of it (or at least anthologized ones). Oxford publishes a lot of the classics, as does Penguin.

You know, you could always take a quick jaunt over to amazon.com and look there.