Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A three-part miniseries, or a long novella? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJBuchholz

To date, I have written twenty installments in my Urban Sentinel (which is based around a vigilante that fights crime) series, and a third of them
involve a rather large arc devoted to a potent group of baddies known as the 'Foundation'. The last story in the series, entitled 'Spectre' dealt
with the leader of the Foundation popping up near the end of the story, bringing the danger of the organization front and centre for the first
time in a few installments.

I intend to conclude the arc with the Foundation (it can only go on for so long) and have the series protagonist face repeated defeats over the
course of the story and lose someone close to him before finally overcoming the odds and dismantling the Foundation (but not without some
side-effects and whatnot). It's been a little while since I wrote in this series, as I wanted a damn good story to end the arc which began with
'Subterranean Siege', a novella that was reworked and adapted from my first attempt at a novel more than two decades ago.

I have two possible ideas for the length, which would either be writing it as a novella, or in three parts. The names of these parts would be as
follows:

I: Domino (the hero encounters the baddies, and begins the chase to hunt them down)
II: In The Glow Of The Night (the hero loses someone close to him at the very end, ad incurs some other losses)
III: The Last Domino (in his darkest hour, the hero comes through amid insurmountable odds)

(some of you might get the reference I'm also going for)

If I don't break it into the three-part miniseries, then the above titles will be for each section of the novella. What I am wondering is if one course
of action makes sense over the other. If I write three parts, it would give me time to add or subtract from the second and third part and tweak it
depending on how the first turns out. If I go full speed ahead on a novella, I might end up going straight through to the end, in which it might be
harder to tweak or not.

Thoughts?

-JJB

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Just an FYI, Amazon is coming out with a new product which is based on episodic release. I'm considering that for my "Tiny Magic, Big Heart" novella. If you have a KDP account, it pops ups to announce the opportunity.

In answer to your question, novellas are so short (compared to what we do in completing a novel), I'd suggest you just go for it and write the whole thing. You don't want to write parts one and two, and then get blocked on part three and disrupt a publication schedule.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
BTW - Love your names and titles!

I guess it depends on your patience level. As three individual parts, you will get feedback and recognition sooner. I find it's the one downside to writing larger works -- waiting to share and get that satisfying recognition. As a novella, you may find you need to tweak the parts as you go, which could end up as a better product.

Vranger's note above about the 'episodic releases' sounds intriguing. But I would think there would be a lot of pressure to keep a certain schedule, once you have a captive audience. It would definitely test your writing chops!

JJBuchholz

Thanks!

There is also going to be a fourth part that is a smaller installment afterwards (weeks removed from the end of the three-parter),
and will deal with the mental and emotional fallout from the conclusion of the Foundation arc, deal with the protagonist's state
of mind and such, and show how it's changed his thinking as well.

I'll eventually start a new arc in future stories, but the protagonist of the series will need a break after the trilogy, as the Foundation
arc was a long one that needs resolution.

-JJB

Status
Not open for further replies.