Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A Student to his Teacher (1 Viewer)

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Three years ago I wrote this for a friend. He helped me so much after I started writing my poems in English. Which was, and still is to this day, incredibly difficult.

​A student to his teacher:

Tell me sadiqi*, have I found
a teacher to my eager mind?
Am I the Eliot to your Pound?

My muse, whose wheels forever grind,
does wish to be the second sun,
the right hand to a kindred kind.

I’m Dickinson, you Higginson.
I travel your beloved road,
to me you’re not just anyone:

You are Verlaine to my Rimbaud...
I follow gladly, keep you straight,
you write a book, I write
(wrote) this ode.

*sadiqi is Arabic for "my friend"

March 24, 2017

Last edited:

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Thanks Phil, but it is true, I started writing poetry in English some 3 1/2 years ago.
Apart from the language barrier, it was incredibly difficult to find these poetry-couples hahaha.

apple

WF Veterans
That is is lovely Darren. Really. I am also surprised that English isn't your natural language. You are quite an interesting person.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
I learned a new word today. I've known people who went by a close variant of sadiqi, so if you had not footnoted, I'd've read it as a name.

ritudimrinautiyal

Wow!! Darren you are quite an inspiration, that you just started writing, three and half years back and you are writing so good. I too started writing in English, few months back. But can't deny the role of google dictionary, in that, but still couldn't find the reason for sudden poetic flow. It just happened. Keep writing.

Ritu

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Wow!! Darren you are quite an inspiration, that you just started writing, three and half years back and you are writing so good. I too started writing in English, few months back. But can't deny the role of google dictionary, in that, but still couldn't find the reason for sudden poetic flow. It just happened. Keep writing.

Ritu
It's difficult, isn't it? But I like a challenge, how about you?

candid petunia

Retired Supervisor
Hi Darren,

I absolutely love this little piece - your friend must have felt honoured, and proud of you.

I immediately felt a kinship when I read the word "Sadiqi", as I understand a bit of Arabic myself.

The only jarring part for me was the use of the past tense in the last line:

you write a book, I wrote this ode.

As the whole poem flows in the present tense, I feel it would better read as

you write a book, I write this ode.

Again, a lovely poem and the fact that you started writing in English just 3.5 years ago is admirable. This is a really close-knit piece, very tight in meter, and a joy to read.

I'm looking forward to reading more from you around the forums.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Thank you :)
I've been thinking while writing about 'write' and 'wrote'. It has a reason. His book is not finished yet, this poem is though. But I get your point. I think I'll change it.
Thank you as well for noticing the meter, the poem is a Terza Rima by the way. I loved writing it.

ritudimrinautiyal

Can't deny it, it is still a challenge. I still have to work on spellings, vocabulary and so many other things apart from accent. But yeah I am enjoying it too, sometimes laughing a lot at myself for making silly mistakes.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Thank you :)
I've been thinking while writing about 'write' and 'wrote'. It has a reason. His book is not finished yet, this poem is though. But I get your point. I think I'll change it.
Thank you as well for noticing the meter, the poem is a Terza Rima by the way. I loved writing it.

I think write would fit the metaphor better, too. As a friendship is a continuous story, yes? You may go years between chapters, but the story doesn't end and neither does the poem.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
That wouldn't have been so bad :)
Many Arabic names are commonly used, everyday words.

I like that. A Chinese man I used to know ... his name translated to "east" which always made me think of sunrise. A Nigerian woman I knew was named, "God gave it to me" which she was given because she's albino. Her father wanted to name her "this will never happen again" but her mother prevailed. Her younger, albino sister is named "Goodness comes from above."

One of the things I really dislike about white supremacy is the name issue and how it's encoded into tech. For a long time, I had no middle initial and tech struggles with that. On the one hand, we're okay when Sting, Madonna, or The Artist has one name, on the other though, we expect their ID cards to have two names.

There are some common English words that are used as names. Virtue names, for example, or gems. Sometimes plants/animals. Professions that started out as surnames are given as first names ... Taylor, Hunter, etc. as a way of honoring one's heritage. One of my coworkers has a daughter named Shalimar.