Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A song that suits your MC (1 Viewer)

Sinister

Geoff Fowler is pretty dispassionate about those around him. He cares for them like you would an old piece of sentimental memorabilia. He's emotionally dismissive, though, and feels like the people around him are either delusional or stuck in the past and that the rest of the world is maturing and moving on. And while he doesn't want to be rude, he also wants to start the next phase of his life.

-Sin

Sinister

The lyrics don't have to be literal, just capture the mood/personality of the character.
Liam from my Extinction series.
Haven't heard that song in a hot minute. My mother had a long lost brother, who came back from Vietnam and disappeared. Word is that he's still out there somewhere, but each year I doubt that more and more. She used to play this song and then tell me about him. I always wondered if some Christmas he'd show back up and we'd all be able to laugh and talk to him.

Eh, sorry, that went off meandering. Either way, good choice of a good song. It gives a very specific character feeling. Wistful, filled with a few regrets, very introspective.

In order to stay more on topic, I figure my other co-protag, Aaron Caylee, would have to be this song: CLICK HERE Trying to link without posting giant YT windowed players. lol

-Sin

BornForBurning

Man this is interesting. I've been throwing around some ideas regarding a group of characters who are all protagonists within their various stories.
Talia Reiker - Crimson Bow and Arrow, Awesome God (depending on where she is in the narrative)
Charlie Jenkins - Hellfire, A Touch of Evil, Deliver Us, Death or Glory
The Lieutenant - no idea. She's pretty cold.
Kaan - Starcraft: Brood Wars Terran soundtrack

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Man this is interesting. I've been throwing around some ideas regarding a group of characters who are all protagonists within their various stories.
Talia Reiker - Crimson Bow and Arrow, Awesome God (depending on where she is in the narrative)
Charlie Jenkins - Hellfire, A Touch of Evil, Deliver Us, Death or Glory
The Lieutenant - no idea. She's pretty cold.
Kaan - Starcraft: Brood Wars Terran soundtrack
Music is a media that evokes emotion - which is why I suggested it as a way to get inside your character's head.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Love that song
And I forgot to mention the protagonist has deep blue eyes of course. When I write my novel, I fantasize that it will become a Blockbuster movie and that Billie will give the producers the rights to use it for the soundtrack, along with Bad Guy, which is perfect for the "white shirt" crime scenes.

Whatever it takes to get it written! :)

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Can't say that I've ever ascribed a song specifically to a character, though there are a few that seem to align decently enough with particular stories.

This calls for more thought.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I've actually been working on a song for my novel. I need a nursery rhyme and a skipping rhyme too. This one is going to be for a rowdy tavern scene. Rough draft:

From ice and fire Nilathro came
Shaped by flood and hurricane
In the dark of endless night
Nilathro shone distinct and bright

Great symbol of the worlds alone
A jewel amidst the grit and stone
Hold fast as one ’til all is right
Hold fast as one ’til all unite

Nilathro! Nilathro!
Riftshiters call
Together as one, none of us fall.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Well ... My MC in the upcoming collaboration from me and PiP is a Country lyrics writer. This wasn't an accident, since I've been writing lyrics for 30 years, and have a few of them set to music and recorded, including "Lonely Coyote", "Common Ground", and "I Write all my Best Songs When I'm Drunk" (not autobiographical ... I promise).

Pip and I are introducing each of our chapters with a lyric (me) or a poem (PiP). What I need to do is get my collaborator to perform all of the songs I'm including lyrics for, and make an MP3 album out of them. I'm not sure if any book has ever been published along with a multimedia release of an album of accompanying vocals. It could be a first. :)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
What I need to do is get my collaborator to perform all of the songs I'm including lyrics for, and make an MP3 album out of them. I'm not sure if any book has ever been published along with a multimedia release of an album of accompanying vocals. It could be a first. :)
I like it! I didn't know PiP was a musician. That's amazing.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I like it! I didn't know PiP was a musician. That's amazing.
I wasn't clear. I have a collaborator here locally for music. I write the lyrics and sometimes the melody, and he creates melodies for the songs I don't write sheet music for, then he performs them. He's a well-known local performer I became good friends with a few years ago.

I guess I have my FB settings pretty tight. I had to share this to my wife's account to get it to show here!

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I wasn't clear. I have a collaborator here locally for music. I write the lyrics and sometimes the melody, and he creates melodies for the songs I don't write sheet music for, then he performs them. He's a well-known local performer I became good friends with a few years ago.
Oh, that sounds wonderful. Then you could get another collaborator to read PiP's poetry, and release it all as a package with the book.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
I have it now! After suitable though, procrastination, junk food, and a double-length workday, courtesy the inimitable Calexico:

Hair Like Spanish Moss

A piece that may be hopeful or hopeless, defeated or victorious, suitable for that first dance on your wedding day or bearing off your dead. The perfect theme for a nothing kid from nowhere who'll have to be a hero in his own time, in his own way.