Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A somehow surprisingly compassionate murder. (1 Viewer)

Llyralen

I had this idea for the title of a short story “The Unexpectedly Merciful Death of Ms. Scarlet de Amore.” Scarlet is a high class prostitute making a good living, she feels like she chooses her Johns carefully. She feels that she helps each one. It’s more therapy than anything else. She thinks of herself as each of their girlfriends. She is very kind, they also see her as their therapist and she is also some hat naive and somewhat in love or romantic about her job.

The story starts with Scarlet’s murder by you don’t know who, she doesn’t name him or her. The mode of death could be a wrist slashing where the murderer or murderers stay with her and keep her down until she dies. As her blood is ebbing out she flashes back to tell us in detail about her last 3 days. I xactly who she met, how she feels about them, about her life, and what she did and saw. Everyone should be suspect but it should also be somewhat interesting to hear how she operates her business and why and how really compassionate she is and how needed she feels her job is. She really feels that she helps people. (I can definitely change her name, by the way. She has a professional name.

She wants to have nothing but good kind feelings while she is dying. Like as if her dying is also doing something kind for someone. Although she had no intension of dying that day. She enjoys her life immensely and is not a bit suicidal or depressed, although she is someone who understands sadness depression and despair well as she has been there before. She might be wrong about that.

I loved this title and the idea but HOW would a surprisingly compassionate murder that satisfies occur?

Please brainstorm with me!

I’ve brainstormed a few ideas:
A angry wife who has plotted to kill her and the husband (one of her John’s) intervenes to make the death less painful or brutal. This idea is somewhat weak and disappointing, imo...

A policeman who has been murdering prostitutes after raping them the same as is so common... murderers who think their victim is dispensable and might also feel some kind of holy justification too, the hypocrit. Someone could also save her from brutality here but too late and he just stays with her for her last few hours or something.

A psycho who she has been seeing for many years but who is much sicker than she thought who is obsessed with her and can’t stand that she be with anyone but him. But who she finds compassion for while dying... and feels compassion for herself as well.

A psycho who has seen Scarlet for years who has to prove his love to his wife now and who rationalizes that the prostitute who he loved will forgive him, he must kill her. In this case the wife might want to have him watch as she kills our prostitute ans he could stop his wife from being too brutal... but it’s too late, our prostitute is almost dead but is glad to be “saved” by him from brutality at the last moment. This is probably the best of those I’ve brainstormed, imo.

Or???? I’d love to hear your ideas!

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
First of all...love your characterization of the MC. Brilliant and original!

I think your story is something that could have wide appeal, but I agree there should be redemption in the end. We learn that she is inherently good, regardless of her chosen profession, but she dies from murder in the end, by the bad guy. Not very satisfying. So what is a "compassionate murder"? The only thing I can think of is putting someone out of their misery, and she doesn't appear to have any at this time in her life. But your idea that it should be a kind death is certainly a complex and challenging idea.

So here goes:

Perhaps she finally falls in love with a wonderful man who professes to take her away from her unlawful life. He could start out to be a John who insists he cannot stand to see her with anyone else. But, secretly he is actually a wacko vigilante, who has set out to murder prostitutes because he believes it's his calling.

He romances her and at first it appears as a wonderful life for her and she is very much in love. He spoils her. But eventually, he confesses his inner calling. He tells her that the only way he could be fully satisified by her is to murder her. She loves him so much she agrees to it.

The twist in the end is that the murder is not compassionate to the victim, but her compassion towards the murderer.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Further to my previous post. I just realized, re-reading your post that the murder should take place in her life as it is. So you could still use the vigilante idea, but maybe he is a regular customer, one of her favourites, who finally confesses his calling. She still agrees to it, as it is the ultimate kindness she could extend to him, and she buys into his madness that her murder is a good thing for society.

Llyralen

Further to my previous post. I just realized, re-reading your post that the murder should take place in her life as it is. So you could still use the vigilante idea, but maybe he is a regular customer, one of her favourites, who finally confesses his calling. She still agrees to it, as it is the ultimate kindness she could extend to him, and she buys into his madness that her murder is a good thing for society.

i SO appreciate your encouragement (you saying you like it gives me that glow of excitement about the story that I just really appreciate) and thank you so much for your thoughts on this. It is really piecing it together for me and also allowing me to follow my heart on the idea of making it be compassionate from her to the murderer. That’s the thought that even before the title I was really working on... that this type of girl is protective of her soul in this way, that she keeps searching through her own mind and eradicating thoughts other than compassionate ones even while she is dying.

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
i SO appreciate your encouragement (you saying you like it gives me that glow of excitement about the story that I just really appreciate) and thank you so much for your thoughts on this. It is really piecing it together for me and also allowing me to follow my heart on the idea of making it be compassionate from her to the murderer. That’s the thought that even before the title I was really working on... that this type of girl is protective of her soul in this way, that she keeps searching through her own mind and eradicating thoughts other than compassionate ones even while she is dying.

Glad to hear you have that glow! It's a really strong story idea.

Hector

I had this idea for the title of a short story “The Unexpectedly Merciful Death of Ms. Scarlet de Amore.” Scarlet is a high class prostitute making a good living, she feels like she chooses her Johns carefully. She feels that she helps each one. It’s more therapy than anything else

This exists in real life. It's called sex surrogate.

Llyralen

This exists in real life. It's called sex surrogate.

I will look up the term. I’ve also heard it marketed as paying for “the girlfriend experience”, which is how some brothels in Las Vegas market it. Actually when I’ve been researching for this... a lot of middle of the road and high end sex workers feel like what they are doing is therapy or could best be compared to therapy. This girl because of how she works feels somewhat original in the way that she has put together her practice, but she isn’t really. Actually this part of the story is not really the original part and the more I researched the more it confirmed to me that many sex workers do feel alone in this, but that most of them have experiences where they felt like they really helped someone and those seem to be the experiences they talk about the most and theat give them some pride in their work from everything I’m reading.

Last edited: