Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A question for any writer here that has written a series.... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJBuchholz

Back in the year 2000, I started writing a series based in the Transformers universe (more or less a fan-fiction) that coincided with, and continued on from the events of 'The Transformers: The Movie' (1986). I have always been a huge fan of Transformers, and it seemed natural to write in that universe, using well-established characters while also creating my own. I wrote in this series until 2014, when I decided that after 25 short stories and novellas, that I had done all I could do (or wanted to do) with said universe at that point. I swore I would never write another TF story in that series.

A couple years later however, I had two short story ideas for that series of which I wrote, and added. I again swore that this was the end. Period. Since then, I have observed this promise, and stayed away to happily focus on other series that I write, as well as delving into a new genre or two on top of everything I have been writing over the years.

Problem is, I've always had this nagging idea that I should write one more TF-based story that will once and for all act as a definite conclusion to the series/arcs/whatever. In the two additional stories I wrote back in 2016 (as mentioned earlier), the second of the two was meant to do that, but I still feel as if I need something that screams "THE END! FOREVER!".

Am I the only one to have an issue like this? Does anyone else that writes in a series (or multiple series) end up with something similar happening when they think they are finally done with a saga? I don't have issues with closure in a couple other series that I stopped writing in, so why do I have it with my TF series?

Maybe I'm nuts....:torn:

-JJB

JJBuchholz

It sounds like you have fun writing those stories. If it's not interfering with something like a profitable deadline, write what you most enjoy writing.

I did enjoy writing them, but I had thought that all the stories I could tell in that universe had been told. Also, since I started this thread, I gave this all more thought, and have been looking at the last story I wrote in my TF series and how it ended, and I think I'd rather add a paragraph or two to that story and make it more definitive than to write another send-off which might not be needed.

Hmmm.

-JJB

Status
Not open for further replies.