Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A plea for doggerel. (1 Viewer)

Torus34

I confess. I'm addicted to writing doggerel. Though there's the temptation present to bare my innermost soul and seek to express the eternal verities of existence, I can knock off a few stanzas of cheap stuff in a spare 15 minutes. Here's the latest.

Summer menu
It’s ‘Here we go again”, folks.
The weather’s heating up.
Forget about the roasts and stews
When it comes time to sup.
Just check the ‘fridge for cold cuts
And buy some if it’s bare.
Avoid the kitchen stove. It’s hot.
You want to be elsewhere.
Make up a nice gazpacho.
The Spanish got it right.
A cold soup’s just the thing to have
For any heat wave night.
Then, as the evening gathers
And temperatures decline,
Enjoy the coming of the dark
Paired with a glass of wine.

Regards to all. j

HLZ

I really like it! It's pairs really well with the title and when I read it, it remind me of summer nights. It makes me smile and happy when I read it. I can't wait to see more of your stuff!

Torus34

I really like it! It's pairs really well with the title and when I read it, it remind me of summer nights. It makes me smile and happy when I read it. I can't wait to see more of your stuff!

HI, HLZ!

Thank you for your kind words. There's something relaxing about writing simple poetry about everyday things. I know my poems have limited longevity, so I don't agonize over the writing. I do like the challenge presented by rhyme and meter -- it's a restrictive cage I find comfortable. You might like 'The Florist Customer' posted here a while back. Regards, best to you and yours.

TuesdayEve

Friends of WF
I’m a rhymer too. Many non-rhymers say the rhyme erodes the meaning of the poem and can’t be taken seriously. I disagree.
Inspired by a piece of artwork by Silver Moon, here’s an example:

Alice’s uncle is looking at me
I look away
he thinks I don’t see
hands on his breast
thoughts decantered by gin
a fire lit profile
sweetly beneath him
strawberry fields
stilettos and yet
I am the girl
and the woman in red