Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A Play wot I wrote ... (1 Viewer)

~Kouryuu~

Excuse the title ... lol! was looking at an theatre brochure!! xD

I just found this in my old documents on a laptop I dont even use anymore! xD Gonna post it up, even though I can't remember what I was even writing it about!!
Abbrev. are C. L. = Center Left and so on. Written for the stage.

Act 1
Scene 1​

It is an early evening in winter. It is dark outside. Snow is coming down heavily in the streets. In the White Horse Inn the fire is roaring. Christmas carollers can be heard singing faintly outside. There is holly and ivy hung in garlands on the timber around the tavern. B. L. there is a bar. The Landlord is wiping up glasses behind it. C. L. is a table of two men (a clerk, and a police constable off duty) and a woman talking heartily. The Landlord’s wife is leaning on the back of one of the chairs with one hand on her hip enjoying the conversation. Two children (a boy and a girl, twins.) are playing snap on the seat of the empty chair at the same table. They are the innkeeper’s children. A young man sits under the window C. R. alone. He is writing frantically.

CLERK: Come on, Margaret, another pint for the constable.

CONSTABLE: Oh, no. No more tonight, I’m afraid. I have to be on duty in half an hour.

CLERK: Just one more, Fred.

WOMAN: Don’t push Mr Manley, Arthur.

CONSTABLE: Oh, you don’t need to be so formal, Mrs Evans. We drink together almost every night after all.

WOMAN: Thank you, Mr Manley –

CONSTABLE: (Not hearing her) Call me Constable.

LANDLADY: Another pint, Constable?

CLERK: Come on, it’ll keep you warm, Fred.

CONSTABLE: (Lifting his empty pint glass and sighing) Ah, go on then. But just one, you hear?

LANDLADY: Of course, Constable.
The LANDLADY takes the glass and goes to the bar.

CLERK: Are you on the curfew wagon tonight, Fred?

CONSTABLE: Aye, that I am.

CLERK: Nasty business, this curfew.

CONSTABLE: Now, I’ll hear none of that. It’s a good idea. People just won’t give it a chance. Keeps the riff-raff off the streets, it does.

WOMAN: (Brushing her hand over the little girls head lightly) It keeps our children safe.

The LANDLADY brings back his beer.
LANDLADY: Put it on your tab, shall I, Constable?

CONSTABLE: Aye. You do that, Maggie. (Looks over to the window) Say, who’s the young lad in the corner? New in town, is he?

LANDLADY: What, Mr Harrison? He’s been here about a month now. Lives upstairs. Quite a quiet lad really. Pays his rent on time.

CONSTABLE: What’s he doing, I wonder?

LANDLADY: It seems he’s some kind of storyteller. Always writing when I see him. (Leans closer. Whispers) Once when I was cleaning his room I read a bit out of curiosity. (Sees the disapproving face of the constable) Well, it was just lying face up on the desk, so it wasn’t really snooping, was it?

CLERK: Well, what was it you read?

LANDLADY: I’m not sure. (Concentrating) It seemed to be a story about a princess with really long hair who lived in a tower with no stairs.

WOMAN: Why did she live in a tower?

LANDLADY: I don’t know. Maybe she couldn’t afford the rest of the castle and had to settle with a tower.
Reflective silence. Then the CONSTABLE puts down his pint glass.

CONSTABLE: (To Landlady) Harrison, you say? (Stands up and walks over to the man writing by the window.) I say, old chap, if you don’t stop I fear your fingers might fall off.

HARRISON: (Looking up at the constable. For a minute he is dazed, apparently from being so engrossed in his work, but then he smiles faintly.) I fear they will fall off before I have finished.

WOMAN: Margaret has just been telling us that you write stories, Mr Harrison. What a very interesting line of work.

HARRISON: (Trying to get back to his work, but not wishing to be impolite.) Well, I find it satisfying. (Puts his head back down to write.)

CONSTABLE: What exactly are you writing at this minute?

CLERK: (laughing.) A story about princesses and towers?

HARRISON: (Looking embarrassed) No, sir. This is a new piece. I only started it today.

CONSTABLE: (Walking across the room to his seat. Sits down.) Well, come on, lad. Do entertain us with a story.

HARRISON: Well, I –

WOMAN: Oh, yes. Please do, Mr Harrison. I’d imagine the children would very much like to hear your story.

CHILDREN: Oh, yes!

HARRISON: (Looks at the children. Smiles.) Well, all right. I suppose if the children would like to hear it –

BOY: We would, honest.

GIRL: Is there a princess in the story?

BOY: (Picks up the clerks cane and pretends to use it as a sword.) And a daring swordfight!

GIRL rushes to the BOY, takes the cane off him, and puts it back on the table.

GIRL: Mummy says that’s too dangerous.

Boy looks forlorn. HARRISON goes over to them and kneels in between the pair.

HARRISON: (To the boy.) There is a swordfight in my story. (To the girl.) And a princess.

Enter LORD GRADWELL, dressed in a
black cloak and top hat. He stands quietly and unseen by
the others in the background.

GIRL: What’s her name?

HARRISON: Her name?

GIRL: Is it Anne or Victoria?

BOY: (Spitefully.) Or Mabel or Mildred!

HARRISON: (Smiling.) It could have been Anne or Victoria. (To BOY.) Or even Mabel or Mildred. But it wasn’t. Her name? It was Calla.

GIRL: Was she very beautiful?

HARRISON: (Dazed.) Yes. She was the most beautiful thing the prince had ever seen.

BOY: What prince?

HARRISON: (Not dazed anymore. Looks through his notes quickly.) Ah, here it is! Prince Nicholas.

GIRL: Was he in love with the princess?

HARRISON: Yes. They met at the palace. For one brief moment. But they fell in love.

GIRL: Did they get married?

HARRISON: (Stands and walks away slowly looking at his notes but not seeing the words on the paper.) No. You see, their fathers’ were sworn enemies, so when the prince told his father that he wanted to marry her he was furious and forbid it. But the lovers met secretly because they couldn’t put up with being without one another. Except, one day the king decided to follow his son. When he saw them together he was more angry than he had ever been in his life. (Suddenly spins around and walks towards the clerk. Puts his cane into his hand and urges him to stand.) He jumps out of the bushes enraged. The prince is startled and begs forgiveness. But the king sends for his guards, meaning to arrest the prince’s love. Of course, the prince could hardly watch his beloved be arrested, so he begs his father one last time. They start to argue, until the king is forced to draw his sword. The prince is shocked, but is now so angry that he draws his own from its scabbard. (Pulls the poker from the fireplace stand and faces the clerk.) They fight like enemies. (The storyteller and the clerk fight theatrically.) But the princess has since fled because she couldn’t abide to watch her love fighting with his own father. In the end the prince accidentally wounds the king in his fencing arm. (Pretends to wound the clerk.)

CLERK staggers back to his chair.

But because of his shame the prince cannot bear to return home to his family. So he decides to take flight and takes on a new identity as a – a – (Looks around the room quickly.) as a barman.

LORD GRADWELL: A barman?
Everyone looks around sharply.
What a very strange thing for a prince to do.

HARRISON: (Looking embarrassed.) Well, he was afraid and didn’t know what else to do.

LORD GRADWELL: Did he not have any friends that would help?

HARRISON: (Pretending to look through his notes.) His best friend, I believe, was not in town.

LORD GRADWELL: (Smiling strangely.) How very inconvenient of him.

LANDLADY: Can I take your coat and hat, Lord Gradwell?

LORD GRADWELL: (After a moment.) Yes. And get this silly storyteller another beer. (Takes off his coat and hat and gives them to the Landlady.)

HARRISON: Silly? (Looks at his manuscript forlornly.) Yes, I suppose it is rather, isn’t it? Not accurate at all.

Sits down opposite GRADWELL. The GIRL comes up beside him
and takes hold of his hand. She smiles warmly up at him.

GIRL: (Whispers.) I didn’t think it was silly, mister.

LANDLADY: Come on, Jane. It’s past your bedtime. You too, John. Say good night to the gentlemen.

CHILDREN: G’nite.
There are a number of variations on the word Goodnight.

GIRL: (Turns at the door. To Harrison.) Thank you for the story.

Exeunt CHILDREN and LANDLADY.

CONSTABLE: (Finishes the last of his beer.) Well, I’d better be off.
Rises.
Good evening, Lord Gradwell.

LORD GRADWELL: (Nods.) Constable.

CONSTABLE: Night, Arthur. Ma’am.

CLERK: G’night, Fred.
Exeunt CONSTABLE through main door U. R.
We’ll be off too, my dear.

WOMAN: Goodnight, Mr Harrison.

HARRISON: Ma’am.
Exeunt CLERK and WOMAN.

LORD GRADWELL picks up the manuscript from the table and looks at it amused.

LORD GRADWELL: That’s quite a story you have there. But are you sure that the prince should disguise himself as a barman? (Puts down the papers and looks at him.) I think a writer might be more appropriate.

HARRISON: (Seriously.) Where have you been, Alex?

LORD GRADWELL: In the country visiting my dear sick Aunt.

HARRISON: (Raises an eyebrow.) Sick Aunt?

LORD GRADWELL: (Looking around. Turns up his nose.) Why do you even like to come here?

HARRISON: Alex?

LORD GRADWELL: (Not hearing him.) It’s positively grotesque.

HARRISON: Alex, the only aunt you have is my mother. And I’d know if she was sick.

LORD GRADWELL: Would you though?

HARRISON: (Gets up and crosses the room slowly.) I take it you did get my letter, after all. For a moment there I was afraid that I might have to repeat the whole ordeal all over. I’m not sure I could’ve bear that again.

LORD GRADWELL: Yes, I got your letter.

HARRISON: And you couldn’t have come sooner?

LORD GRADWELL: I only got back to town this morning. But I did drop all of my other engagements to come straight here.

HARRISON: (Sighs.) Yes, I’m sorry. I do appreciate you doing so, of course. (Turns back to Lord Gradwell.) I’ve got myself in such a mess, haven’t I, Alex?

LORD GRADWELL: Yes.

HARRISON: I don’t even know what she was doing there.

LORD GRADWELL: Perhaps she just wanted to see you, Nick. The girl was in love with you, after all.

HARRISON: (Sits down again.) And I her. (Sighs.) I still love her, Alex. She means more to me than anything in world. I’d offer her my life if it were mine to give. (Pauses.) But it’s not mine to give, is it?

LORD GRADWELL: I think not.

Re-enter GIRL. Stands unseen in the doorway in her nightdress.

HARRISON: (Rises again furiously and paces the room.) I can’t bear this, Alex. I have to see her. It’s been too long as it is.

LORD GRADWELL: Nick, the path you’ve chosen will lead you either to madness or to execution. You do know that, of course?

HARRISON: Madness is the same as being in love, isn’t it? And if death is the penalty of seeing her face one more time then I welcome it.

LORD GRADWELL: You’re a fool!

HARRISON: You forget, friend, that it was you who introduced us in the first place.

LORD GRADWELL: No, I have not forgotten. I was foolish too.

HARRISON: Don’t say that.

LORD GRADWELL: I will say it. (Stands up.) She’ll be the death of you, Nick, if you’re not careful.

HARRISON: But I am careful. (Throws out his arms to let Lord Gradwell admire his attire.) You see? I’m incognito!
Both men laugh and then they sit back down at the table.

LORD GRADWELL: What kind of name is Harrison anyway? Sounds frightfully common to me.

HARRISON: That was the whole point.

LORD GRADWELL: Well, I’ve never heard of a prince called Harrison.

HARRISON: Alex, I’m not a prince anymore.

LORD GRADWELL: (Shocked.) You don’t mean that, do you?

HARRISON: Certainly I do. And besides, I don’t see why you should be so concerned. You are second in line, remember? You should be glad of my decision.

LORD GRADWELL: I’ll never understand you. There’s not a man alive who wouldn’t kill to have the power of your title. Of course, your father will never abide it. He’ll track you down eventually and take you home.

HARRISON: I confess, I’m a little surprised that he hasn’t found me already. He has so many spies around the city. I dare not go outside in fear one will spot me.

LORD GRADWELL: Well, I think you’d be safe to go out dressed as you are. I myself barely recognised you.

HARRISON: It’s not you I wish to fool, Alex. (Pauses.) Will you find her for me?

GRADWELL stands shaking his head.

Please, Alex. One last time. I must see her one last time. (After hesitation.) I’m going to leave London.

LORD GRADWELL: Leave London? Where will you go?

HARRISON: (Shrugs.) I don’t know. I haven’t decided. It’s rather exciting when you think about it. (Looks at Lord Gradwell.) Will you find her for me, Alex? I swear, I’ll never ask you for another thing as long as I live if you say you will.

LORD GRADWELL: (Sighs and rubs his head distractedly.) Even if I did manage to find her, which I doubt, where can you possibly meet with her where the king won’t see you?

HARRISON: (After a moments thought.) Here. You can bring her here. Like you said, the place is rather grotesque. Even you don’t like coming here. Please, Alex. I must see her. You’ve not been in love, so you could never even begin to imagine how completely useless I feel without her.

LORD GRADWELL: I am married.

HARRISON: Yes, but you spend all of your time flirting with a woman who is another man’s wife in the country.

LORD GRADWELL: The man who told you that is positively wicked!

HARRISON: (Laughs.) You told me it yourself.

LORD GRADWELL: Ah, then it is the golden truth! But, how young I forget you are.

HARRISON: I’m not as young as you think.

Silence as GRADWELL wanders aimlessly around the room.

LORD GRADWELL: What if this girl you say you love doesn’t want to see you?

HARRISON: How can you say that? You saw us together yourself. She loves me I know it.

LORD GRADWELL: Nick, the last thing I’d want to do is hurt you. We have been the closest of friends all our lives. But the girl was humiliated. And besides, girls hardly ever marry the men they fall in love with. It is a matter of etiquette.

HARRISON: (Desperately.) She’s not like other women, Alex. She’s an angel. If you spoke to her for only a moment you would see that. She’s different.

LORD GRADWELL: (Gravely.) She’s the daughter of a traitor. Of course she’s different.

Harrison puts his head into his hands sorrowfully.

HARRISON: Christ, Alex, you make her sound like a criminal.

LORD GRADWELL: I didn’t mean –
LORD GRADWELL sighs and goes to him.

Look, cheer up, old boy. I’ll try, okay? If she’s in this town then I’ll find her. And if she’s not, well, then I’ll find out which town she is in. You have my word.

Silence as LORD GRADWELL puts on his cloak and hat. HARRISON looks up when he opens the door.
HARRISON: Alex?

LORD GRADWELL: (Turning at the door.) Yes, cousin?

HARRISON: Do you think my mother and father will ever forgive me?

LORD GRADWELL: The Queen you can set your heart at rest about.

HARRISON: And my father?

LORD GRADWELL: (After a moment of thought.) I have never known my uncle to be the forbearing type. However, on occasions I have seen some compassion in him.

HARRISON: But not on this occasion, I fear.

LORD GRADWELL: I will visit my uncle in the morning. (Pauses.) Keep your chin up. It is not all lost yet. Now I must go. I have an angel to find.

GRADWELL goes to leave.
HARRISON: (Stands quickly.) Alex?
GRADWELL turns again in the door.

HARRISON: Please … (Hesitates.) Tell her of the love you saw in my eyes tonight. And … of my happiness.

LORD GRADWELL nods and exeunt.

HARRISON sits alone for a while staring at his hands in his lap. Then he looks at the manuscript lying on the table beside him, and picks it up. For a few moments, as the carollers surpass into the distance, he passes his eyes over the first couple of pages. And then he gets up, full of new energy, a smile on his face, meaning to throw the sheets on the fire. But he stops, seeing the GIRL standing in the doorway. He looks at her for a long while and then at the table where he had been talking with Lord Gradwell, and then at the closed tavern door. He is unsure how long she has been standing there. He sees the teddy bear on the chair and picks it up. Then he kneels down in front of her, unpretentiously. He gives her the bear and she hugs it fondly. Then he puts his index finger onto his lips to indicate silence. The GIRL smiles playfully and imitates the sign.

GIRL exeunt.

HARRISON stands, smiling. Looks at the pages again and then back at the door. Then he leaves for his room.
Exeunt HARRISON.

END SCENE​

paroma

ok so what happens next????
and are you willing to help me out pls?...im looking for a script for stage..30-40mins and one act...its for a college production and not for commercial purposes...im a student at delhi university, india...so your play seemed interesting and if you have anything else that you have written or know of some good play would you please forward it...we've been looking forever for scripts and still havent found the one and ordering scripts onlne is working out to be too expensive...so if anything..please let me know..thanks..