Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A metric other than ‘word count’ (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideasmith

This other metric is felt. It happens when you’ve written a significant story movement, and you feel its weight. It’s not a number of words, it’s a moving of the story forward. you see where the story was, where it now is, and regardless of the number of word-units it took to get there, the story has advanced in a meaningful, satisfying way.

When I have felt this then looked at the number of words typed - for grins - it’s often well past 500; often 1200+ words.

How I get there: some days, I fall into the writing. Other days, I have to walk in, make myself begin, then often fortune smiles and something wonderful emerges which then gets me excited and ignited to be in that writing zone where good story movement happens.

Just thought I’d share this thought that popped into my head this morning.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
I write by the scene.
I plot the scene in the afternoon, talk thru the dialog, solidify it in my mind.
Then I write it in the morning.
I pay no attention to how many words I wrote, just if the scene was tight and covered all the bases I was aiming for.

ideasmith

Ralph Rotten;[URL="[URL said:
tel:2334549[/URL]"]2334549[/URL]]I write by the scene.
I plot the scene in the afternoon, talk thru the dialog, solidify it in my mind.
I pay no attention to how many words I wrote, just if the scene was tight and covered all the bases I was aiming for.

Ralph- as you ‘talk thru the dialog,’ do you take notes on that dialogue to remind yourself how you wanted that to go so that you get it right on your next morning writing session? Or do you carry it in your head, and it’s fresh and ready next morning?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
The one thing I miss is not having a printer. Holding those pages in your hand is so satisfying.

I agree there is satisfaction in the tangible. I go down to the local Staples and print out my book in 'book fold'. Then I place the pages into a small three ring binder that is the size of a novel. I even put a mock up cover on it.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I agree there is satisfaction in the tangible. I go down to the local Staples and print out my book in 'book fold'. Then I place the pages into a small three ring binder that is the size of a novel. I even put a mock up cover on it.

I used to write the corrections and added content in a note book and staple them onto the main draft in the appropriate place. I liked that too. I don't know why. I'd have lots of little pieces of paper stapled to the first chapter and I loved adding them into the second draft. I was kind of disappointed if I couldn't add more stapled corrections or additions.:)

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I used to write the corrections and added content in a note book and staple them onto the main draft in the appropriate place. I liked that too. I don't know why. I'd have lots of little pieces of paper stapled to the first chapter and I loved adding them into the second draft. I was kind of disappointed if I couldn't add more stapled corrections or additions.:)

Are you not able to get to a printer? Libraries have them as well.

druid12000

I write by the scene.

I do this at work. I just bought a digital voice recorder to try and capture more because a lot gets lost. The solidifying is more akin to Jell-O than granite. :D

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I have an idea of the conversations that need to take place in order to get to the reveal. Always satisfied when I've got one down, it sounds realistic, and I've managed to add a bit a humor.

Matchu

Come to Scarborough library? A wide open space with a wide reading room. Gentlemen arranged around the edge of the room. Many still wear the grey trakkies, the new fingerless mittens, blowing fingers at a desk [numbered]. Each holds his desk, his paper, his pen on a chain composing a letter for the judge. Fireplace in the middle. Potatoes roasting on the coals. Or cross the corridor with its computer to a lounge of books, comics, dvds? Library really is perfect and hospitable and close to Mcdonalds for Sunday dinner. Ask for Florence.

Status
Not open for further replies.