Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A King's Rebellion (1 Viewer)

valondon

Welcome to what I'm sure will end up being a wonderful journey. Today I embark on a challenge to write a novella or novel length story within the month of December. As of this moment, I only a preview of what's to come. Over the course of the month I will be posting the chapters in their rough rough draft form. After the month is over, I will undergo revision and change what is needed. Why is this? I want to let everyone in on my writing process from beginning to end, to find where improvements need to be made everywhere. This story will be 10 chapters long and a prologue. Without further ado, here is our preview:

Samil was an assassin for King Drake when our story begins. You see, in this world of shadow, doubt, fear, greed, and corruption, one could always find solace in the art of extermination. So King Drake hired top tier assassins, including ones such as Asazi and Samil. During this time in our story, there is a rebel uprising, threatening to over throw the king. King Drake realizes the threat these rebels posed to his kingdom, so he chose one of his most new and promising assassins to lead the war against the rebels: Samil. Asazi (another up and coming assassin) becomes jealous of Samil for being chosen for this task, and disappears from the map as he plots his revenge. Samil meanwhile, eagerly embraces his task. For you see, assassins aren’t all about cloak and daggers, but about precision and finesse, which can be applied to the very subtle art of war. It is a chance to prove himself to his king, and to squash an uprising that could threaten the foundation of peace that the people of Asku have known for many a decade.

Will be updating the thread with the story as it gets written. Please bear with grammar mistakes, as they will be fixed after this challenge is over. It shouldn't be too bad, but if it is bad enough, I'll postpone posting updates until I'm able to go back and do my first round of editing. Hope to see you all for the prologue when its ready!

outoftheblue

That's quite a challenge you've set-up! I believe it was Agatha Christie who said, 'A novel shouldn't take any longer than 6 weeks to write'. But I think a month is VERY optimistic, unless you write 5, 000 words a day! How come you're in so much a rush to write it within a month? Not that I'm complaining about this challenge, but curious as to know why?

And I'm guessing this thread is the Blurb to your story? :thumbl:

valondon

That's quite a challenge you've set-up! I believe it was Agatha Christie who said, 'A novel shouldn't take any longer than 6 weeks to write'. But I think a month is VERY optimistic, unless you write 5, 000 words a day! How come you're in so much a rush to write it within a month? Not that I'm complaining about this challenge, but curious as to know why?

And I'm guessing this thread is the Blurb to your story? :thumbl:

Yeah it is. It will be updated as I progress through the story.

As to why... Hmmmm. Well let's start off with some basic facts on story length. Novella is 25,000 - 49,999 words long. That itself isn't hard to do within a month. A minimal length novel is 50,000 words. December has 31 days. So 31/50,000 = 1,613 (rounded up due to decimal). So you have to write just short of 2,000 words a day if you write the same amount each day to hit the 50k mark. Now, I expect this story to be just around that 50k mark. In reality, this story is a background story on the character Samil, a character that stars in a trilogy I'm writing.

Now, as to the "why"... It started as an idea. There is a international November writing challenge. But it was way too far into November to take part of it. So, I posed a challenge to some of my friends, and they accepted. They're all writing shorter length stories than I am, and I just wanted to get some good feedback on mine so I came here. This is really a "just for fun" and "can I do it" thing more than anything else. Winter Break is in two weeks for me and I can spend a lot more time writing then also =D

outoftheblue

It does sound like a fun thing to do and I wish you luck with it!:very_drunk:

I guess every writer has a different method of working. Myself, for example, can't sit down before writing a novel and estimate how many chapters, or how many words my book could be. I literally have no idea. I just write until the story reaches a natural conclusion and then it is what it is. But I appreciate that we all work differently, and have different expectations and experiences that go with them.

I wish you luck, hope you pull it off.

valondon

It does sound like a fun thing to do and I wish you luck with it!:very_drunk:

I guess every writer has a different method of working. Myself, for example, can't sit down before writing a novel and estimate how many chapters, or how many words my book could be. I literally have no idea. I just write until the story reaches a natural conclusion and then it is what it is. But I appreciate that we all work differently, and have different expectations and experiences that go with them.

I wish you luck, hope you pull it off.

Thanks!

In reality, I take a different approach with every story. Maybe I'm a bit off with my estimated word count, but that's fine by me. It's just an initial estimate so I know how much I need to work each day... At least to begin with. When I first came up with the challenge, I immediately went and wrote an outline for my story. That way I always know what happens next so I can just write - something that will greatly increase the speed of the project which is needed for the challenge. I hope it works, if it does - I may be applying it to my other stories.

Thanks again =) To be honest, I'm quite excited about it. Unfortunately I can't write today probably due to the large amount of homework I should be doing instead of talking on internet forums ;)

QDOS

Hi Valondon

Not entered, but tried this style of NaNoWriMo writting a novel in a month. My output was rubbish and I never got beyond the thirty thou words mark. That said I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing your results.

I note that Assassins Creed by Oliver Bowden is a bestseller series.

QDOS :santa:

valondon

Prologue

AN: Gather round, gather round, good ol' Val has a story to tell. We now begin our journey in the country Asku as war breaks out. Today I deliver the first piece installment in what will surly be an epic piece. I present to you - the Prologue.

Prologue

The cries of war echoed through the courtyard. Men were screaming in utter agony as their life was ripped away with a slash of a blade. Swords clashing, shields shattering; it was a demoralizing sight. Men were dying left and right, and not just soldiers, but civilians as well. Tattered bodies lay strewn on the ground, with mourners bent over the bodies of loved ones crying and praying. Soldiers would run by, whacking them in the neck with their swords and sending them to the afterlife with their families.

General Aphorian looked upon the scene, eyes alight with something akin to sorrow. The country of Asku has known nothing but peace for the longest of time. Ever since King Drake took control of the government, he has demanded peace and given prosperity – at least officially. Aphorian couldn’t even remember the last time there were even rumors of war, and now war was upon him.

Aphorian was in charge of the defense of Ankou, a city of nobles. Now, those with whom he was charged to protect lay dead on the ground, and his men lying with them. The magicians were off protecting the sacred orchard, within the heart of the city. Re-enforcements probably wouldn’t arrive for a week at the least. News of the attack would take time to reach Anokii, the capital, and it would take even longer for the king to devise a counter attack. They didn’t even know who their enemy was. Resigning himself to the fact, general Aphorian led the final charge of the day, with battle cries that would go down in the books of history for generations to come. There was no turning back – war had begun.

Last edited:

WriterJohnB

WF Veterans
Good start. I marked a couple of typos and verb tenses. But it's good writing and catches the readers interest.

John B

AN: Gather round, gather round, good ol' Val has a story to tell. We now begin our journey in the country Asku as war breaks out. Today I deliver the first piece installment in what will surly be an epic piece. I present to you - the Prologue.

Prologue

The cries of war echoed through the courtyard. Men were screaming in utter agony as their life was ripped away with a slash of a blade. Swords clashing, shields shattering; it was a demoralizing sight. Men were dying left and right, and not just soldiers, but civilians as well. Tattered bodies lay strewn on the ground, with mourners bent over the bodies of loved ones crying and praying. Soldiers would run by, whacking them in the neck with their swords and sending them to the afterlife with their families.

General Aphorian looked upon the scene, eyes alight with something akin to sorrow. The country of Asku had known nothing but peace for the longest of time. Ever since King Drake took control of the government, he had demanded peace and given prosperity – at least officially. Aphorian couldn’t even remember the last time there were even rumors of war, and now war was upon him.

Aphorian was in charge of the defense of deleteAnkou, a city of nobles. Now, those with whom he was charged to protect lay dead on the ground, and his men lay with them. The magicians were off protecting the sacred orchard, within the heart of the city. Re-enforcements probably wouldn’t arrive for a week at the least. News of the attack would take time to reach Anokii, the capital, and it would take even longer for the king to devise a counter attack. They didn’t even know who their enemy was. Resigning himself to the fact, general Aphorian led the final charge of the day, with battle cries that would go down in the books of history for generations to come. There was no turning back – war had begun.

valondon

Good start. I marked a couple of typos and verb tenses. But it's good writing and catches the readers interest.

John B

Thank you, I'll certainly take that into account when undergoing revision. Like I warned, this is the roughest version of the story. I contemplated waiting till I had the story finished, but since its for a challenge the whole point is to see what I can do in a month.

josh.townley

Hi Valondon.
Sounds interesting. I've wanted to try something similar to this, but I can't commit to the time requirements at the moment.
The overview you gave at the beginning sounds promising, but one bit confused me. If the kingdom has known nothing but peace and prosperity for so long, why is there a rebel uprising? I would have thought they are usually born of oppression and tyranny, not when everything is going great. I'm wondering if things aren't as rosy as we're led to believe in the beginning, or if another group is trying to plant one of their own on the throne? Guess I'll have to wait and see. :)
I'm looking forward to following it.

valondon

Hi Valondon.
Sounds interesting. I've wanted to try something similar to this, but I can't commit to the time requirements at the moment.
The overview you gave at the beginning sounds promising, but one bit confused me. If the kingdom has known nothing but peace and prosperity for so long, why is there a rebel uprising? I would have thought they are usually born of oppression and tyranny, not when everything is going great. I'm wondering if things aren't as rosy as we're led to believe in the beginning, or if another group is trying to plant one of their own on the throne? Guess I'll have to wait and see. :)
I'm looking forward to following it.

Thanks for taking the time to stop in and read. All I will say is, if there is nothing but peace - why does the king need assassins?

valondon

Seeing as this thread is for two things, reading and critiquing the story and following my progress throughout the challenge to see how it goes, I'm going to post an update... Even if it's without a chapter. Unfortunately, I had to take a short break from writing due to getting sick at the worst possible time. Good part is, I'm now back, and happily writing chapter 1. More bad news, I have finals and school next week so that will further impede my progress with this. Hopefully I can get a lot done over winter break, but the chances of finishing in time are looking somewhat bleak due to... the not so great stuff... mentioned earlier

valondon

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It was a relatively peaceful night in Anokii; the moon was shining bright on the city as the residents relaxed into their houses with fires softly burning. The thought of danger didn’t even enter into the minds of the civilians as they went about their lives. The soldiers stationed in the barracks and guarding the city walls were lazily pouring cups of coffee for the long hours, and playing cards to stay entertained.

Azoul, the head of Asku’s army was spending time with the soldiers guarding the front gate. They were in a house just outside the wall, playing card games and laughing joyfully. Azoul spent his time as general rotating post to spend time with all of his soldiers – it boost the unity of the army, which was something he prided himself on.

There was a loud thump as a soldier named Boridian boasted, “Ha! Won again! By the time you all go back to your wives, you’ll be put on the couch for your inability to win a bet!”

There was a loud guffaw as the archer Kuthin replied, “Yeah, and you all will be in even more trouble when they find out that your money just went to Boridian here buying a new girl for the week.”

It was the usual banter that went on during the soldiers games. If it kept up, it would only be another hour before they all passed out on their post. Azoul shuddered at the memory of when the king found out that Azoul let his men get that drunk guarding the city. It was at this thought that Azoul whistled, gathering the attention of the soldiers in the room.
“Alright you lot, that’s enough with the beer. Put it away, it’ll be my head if the king catches you all anymore drunk then this.”

There was grumbling as the men stuffed the beer back into the cabinets in the kitchen. Once they settled back in, the games resumed, albeit a little less obnoxiously.

After finally losing a round, Boridian called out, “Azoul, you see what you did! The beer is my source of game power!”

Azoul turned a wary eye to Boridian and remarked sarcastically, “Or maybe the other soldiers just sober up a lot faster than you do, ever think of that?”

Boridian stared Azoul for a long second as his brain tried to process what was said. Azoul begin to think that the man had gotten himself drunk before even reporting to his post. He’d seen Boridian fight, and he was a good soldier. The only problem was, he lacked the social grace that a soldier of the king should have in the presence of others. At times, the guy was a bit more trouble than he was worth.

Azoul sat next to the window sipping coffee and listening in on the soldier’s conversation. It would be a nice night, one where they could just relax. No travelers or merchants were expected for at least another few days, so they didn’t have to be completely presentable.

While these were nice thoughts, they were unfortunately short lived. The sound of hooves slamming into the ground filled the little house, and a few of the guards drew their swords as the bustled toward the window. In their haste, one of the men tripped over the leg of a chair and knocked Boridian into the ground. A stream of curse words exited his mouth as his face was smashed into the wooden floor.

Azoul beckoned for a few of the battle ready soldiers to follow him. They walked outside, a few of them with swords drawn and the rest with their hands merely resting on their swords, ready to fight if need be. Kuthin had an arrow knocked, but the bow was pointing at the ground.

As the horseman approached, Azoul got a better view of him. He gasped; it was General Aphorian, blood-soaked and nearly falling off his horse.

Azoul barked at his soldiers, “Weapons down men! Get the general inside the cabin immediately. Kuthin, go get a healer… Wait on second thought, go get the king also! Bring them both here as fast as you can!”

Kuthin nodded then started to jog off in the distance. Azoul didn’t even spare him a second glance as he ran toward Aphorian and helped him off his horse. He beckoned another soldier to him, who then helped him carry Aphorian inside.

As Azoul entered the house, he barked at the soldier still crowded around the table, “Clear the table! This guy needs to lie down.”

Boridian placed his arms on the table then proceeded to swipe everything off of it, effectively knocking it to the ground. Azoul and Re’bin, the other soldier carrying General Aphorian, gently laid the general on the table. Aphorian coughed up blood which fell to the wooden ground of the house, and started gasping for breath. Azoul started removing what was left of his armor to let the healer get better access to the wounds when he or she got there.

Once all the armor was off Aphorian’s chest, Azoul kicked into toward a corner then asked, “Can someone get me a wet rag, we need to clean the wounds.” He held out his arm with his hand open, and a second later someone placed a damp cloth in his hand. Azoul muttered a quick, “Thanks,” and then proceeded to wipe all the blood of Aphorian’s body.

Once Aphorian’s body was clean of blood, Azoul let out a massive sigh and collapsed against a wall. Aphorian was drifting in and out of consciousness, and Azoul wanted to wait to question him until he was sure that Aphorian was not delirious.

About thirty minutes had passed when the sound of hoof beats again filled the house. Azoul jumped right to his feet, but slipped again on Aphorian’s blood. One of the soldiers gave a small laugh then offered his hand to Azoul. Taking it, Azoul lifted himself up again, making sure to steer clear of the blood on the floor this time.

Walking toward the open door, Azoul spotted four men on horses, King Drake on a majestic, pure white horse. The king was dressed in the royal rob, a dark yet vibrant red with gold littered around it. Riding on his left was a man in white robes – a healer. The man had shoulder length brown hair and a face wrinkled with time; he was a seasoned man, with many years of practice in his art. The third person was but a shadow on the kings right. He was dressed in all black with a black hood and bandana. His horse matched him, as black as the night. They blended right in with the night; it was one of the king’s assassins. All that could be seen of the assassin were his eyes, hazel but with green being prominent. He stared at Azoul as he trotted behind the king on his shadowy horse, and Azoul had the impression that this assassin was going through at least a hundred different ways to kill him. It was slightly unnerving. Behind the three of them sat Kuthin on what was most likely a borrowed horse of the king’s.

Reaching the stable near the house, the party dismounted and tied their horses up. Well all of them except for the unnamed assassin who left his free to wonder around. The party shuffled into the house, but this time the assassin came in the back with Kuthin taking his place. Once inside, Kuthin went over to a corner and set his bow and quiver down, then pulled up a chair to watch the proceedings.

Addressing Azoul, King Drake asked, “General, please tell me what happened. All this young archer here, Kuthin I believe, was able to tell me is that my general stationed in Ankou arrived beaten up on a horse.”

Azoul nodded in acknowledgment then said, “We don’t know anything else. As soon as we got Aphorian down on the table he started slipping in and out of consciousness, we thought it be best to have the healer work on him first.”

King Drake stood for a second contemplating the situation, then waved his hand at the healer, signaling him to go to work. The assassin moved from the shadows where he had been lurking and walked up to Aphorian’s body. His gloved hands traced some of cuts as the healer was muttering spells and Aphorian’s body shone with a light blue glow. The assassin’s eyes narrowed as he examined the shape of the cut.

Suddenly, he turned to the king and informed him, “This cut was made by one of our blades. It seems our citizens have turned on us.”

The king’s eyes rose slightly and his mouth formed a perfect ‘o.’ “Are you sure of this?”

“Positive. I’ve been to many lands and we’re the only country that makes bleeds that make jagged cuts like these. You all best pray that whoever turned on us doesn’t have outside support though. The necromancers hiding in the darkest places in the world have been itching to spread their darkness.”

“Yes well, let’s hope that doesn’t happen. Uthi’len, how long should this take?” The king questioned the healer.

Uthi’len looked up at the king while still hunched over Aphorian’s body and replied, “Not sure, maybe five more minutes to get him stable and conscious, but he’ll need a week or two to recover from the injuries.”

The king nodded and replied, “Well get him conscious, I want to hear what he has to say before I react to this.”

Uthi’len nodded and went back to work. The others sat around watching him work. The assassin walked around the room examining different parts of it. Growing bored, he pulled up one of the chairs from under a soldier, knocking him to the ground, then sitting down. He unsheathed one of his swords, a short, narrow, and sharp blade with a hilt that fit perfectly in his hand. It had a red blade, but gave off a dark glow. The assassin started twirling the sword around, trying to provide entertainment for himself.

Azoul took a couple steps back then rested against a wall. He kept narrowed eyes on the assassin as he listened to Uthi’len’s muttered spell casting. The room was now lighting up with a soft blow glow as the wounds closed.

After five minutes had passed, Uthi’len looked up saying, “It is done. Do you want me to wake him now, or let him recover a bit more?”

The assassin retorted, “Do you want to end whatever revolt this is or go to sleep and hope it doesn’t get any worse over night?”

The king stepped in, “Easy there Samil” Turning his attention to Uthi’len King Drake continued, “Go ahead and wake him. While… rude, Samil has a point.”

Uthi’len nodded, and then spoke, “Ric nic le.”

Aphorian’s eyes fluttered open, and a light groan of pain escaped his lips. King Drake, Azoul, and Samil circled around Aphorian while the other soldiers gathered around them. Samil grabbed Aphorian by the head and held his mouth open, while fumbling in a pack on his leg with his other had. He pulled out a vial with a purple liquid in it, then proceeded to pour it down Aphorian’s throat.

Letting go he said, “Swallow, it will ease the pain.”

Aphorian swallowed and nodded. He looked around at the people circled around him, with his brow creasing and eyes narrowing with confusion.

Azoul took pity on him and started first, “What do you remember? You arrived here with blood and cuts covering your body.”

Aphorian’s eyes slammed together as he tried to remember. After a few seconds, he started with his story, “Ankou… It was burning. Fire everywhere, screams… Death. I gathered our forces, and we charged into the city. We didn’t have enough, they overwhelmed us. The civilians were fleeing behind us, as we were being slaughtered in the city with those that lagged behind. The enemy, they were rebels from the northern cities. Remember, the ones who refused to pay their taxes a few years back? Looks like their stepping it up. If I had to guess, I’d say this was being planned for awhile. From the looks of it, they’re trying to cut off Anokii from the rest of the country.”

Silence fell as the group took in what Aphorian told them. Samil walked over to the window and stared out at the stars, lost in thought. King Drake rubbed his temple as he took all of this in. He hasn’t had to fight a war since he took power in Ankou, when the country was divided between each city as nobles tried to claim the title of king for themselves. Now his northern cities have turned against him with swords and shields. This was something that needed to end quickly.

He sighed then turned to Samil, “How much do you know of our northern cities?”

He took a second contemplating his answer then replied, “They’re rather independent people, and as you should know, isolated. They’re probably feeling too far off from Asku to be under your rule. They’re going to cut you off of resources and force you to cave in and grant them their independence.”

The king nodded then asked, “And what would you have me do to stop this?”

“Gather your army en mass as fast as you possibly can. Send them to Ankou and reclaim the city. Send scouts ahead and find out exactly which northern cities have turned against us. As soon as Ankou is recovered, send your army north and eliminate the enemy cities – then dismantle their leadership.”

Azoul spoke for the first time since Aphorian woke, “Yes, that would work, but we need something a lot more specific and soon.”

Samil countered, “Obviously, but we need more intelligence on the enemy before we make our move. This is a very delicate matter at hand. We cannot just go in and crush every single person that lives in the north, then we’d have the whole country against us.”

The king responded, “Yes, Samil is right. This war will require surgical precision… The type of precision that Samil exercises in his operations for me. That’s why I want him to lead our army in this war. Aphorian, I want you to amass as many troops as you can and start a war camp right outside of Ankou. Samil, wait a week then ride to Ankou’s outskirts and take control of the army. Before then, I want you to work with our military tacticians here about possible strategies you could employ. I expect this war to be over with rather quickly, understood?”

Both men responded with a quick, “Yes my lord.”

The king said, “Alright, you know what to do. Get to work. And Aphorian, go home to your wife and rest. I’m sure she’ll appreciate having you back after what happened.”

Aphorian let a ghost of a smile grace is face, “Thank you, my lord.”

QDOS

[FONT=&Verdana]Hi Valondon, sorry to hear you’ve been ill, and all the best for those exams.

I assume you have something of a minimal synopsis as to how your story will pan out. [/FONT]
I’ve read the Prologue and now Chapter One.

Yes, there are errors, typo’s, sentences that need a bit of reconstruction. Nevertheless, this only the raw draft. It’s somewhat courageous of you to share, I look forward to seeing how you progress.

QDOS :cool:

valondon

[FONT=&Verdana]Hi Valondon, sorry to hear you’ve been ill, and all the best for those exams.

I assume you have something of a minimal synopsis as to how your story will pan out. [/FONT]
I’ve read the Prologue and now Chapter One.

Yes, there are errors, typo’s, sentences that need a bit of reconstruction. Nevertheless, this only the raw draft. It’s somewhat courageous of you to share, I look forward to seeing how you progress.

QDOS :cool:

Yes, I wrote an outline for this about two weeks before I started writing.

I am going to come back to this when I'm done for editing. I believe I stated my reasons for posting it in its raw form... This is a challenge to see how far you can go in a month, so to stay true to that challenge I need to just write and see what happens. Also, with this being a rush job, there may be some larger errors than just typos or sentences that could be worded better. So posting as I progress would help me catch those more dangerous errors to a story. Normally I wouldn't want to post like this. In my experience, if there are typos or grammar issues, that is the only thing you're going to get crit on. Helpful - yes, but not what I really need. I already have a strategy for that side of the revisions ;) I'm going to read through it myself when its done and fix all the errors I see, then I'll have my girlfriend (honorary editor) read through it and catch the rest the mistakes. Though I try to keep the huge typos out of the version that's posted here. After I finished writing chapter 1, I noticed that I wrote Aphorian instead of Azoul a lot, so Aphorian would both be knocked out on the table and standing around the table lol. Glad I fixed that ;)

Thanks for reading, do you have any stories posted?

Robdemanc

Hi. You are doing very well for first draft. The prologue and chapter one are well written and I admire your motivation for aiming for one month completion. That is a good idea, you will then be able to relax a little and review your story. Last year I managed to write a first draft in 6 weeks, but I have spent the last 12 months rewriting and editing the story. Good luck with it.

valondon

Hi. You are doing very well for first draft. The prologue and chapter one are well written and I admire your motivation for aiming for one month completion. That is a good idea, you will then be able to relax a little and review your story. Last year I managed to write a first draft in 6 weeks, but I have spent the last 12 months rewriting and editing the story. Good luck with it.

Thanks for your kind words :). I just feel as if I won't make it in time due to the setbacks the first week has brought me... and what this week will bring. Thanks again :)

QDOS

Hi Valondon,

Thanks for asking – see my [/FONT]Inception Trilogy[/FONT] and Apprentice posted here and T[FONT=&Verdana]aliesin’s Gift posted under main Fiction heading. I’m planning to post a short[FONT=&Verdana] - Devil Incarnate under the main Fiction heading for a Christmas read. If you have time over the hols, take a break and have a look.

Feedback is always welcome
QDOS :cool2:

valondon

Hi Valondon,

Thanks for asking – see my [/FONT]Inception Trilogy[/FONT] and Apprentice posted here and T[FONT=&Verdana]aliesin’s Gift posted under main Fiction heading. I’m planning to post a short[FONT=&Verdana] - Devil Incarnate under the main Fiction heading for a Christmas read. If you have time over the hols, take a break and have a look.

Feedback is always welcome
QDOS :cool2:

Alright, I will make sure to check those out once finals are over :)

YohannIan

Very bold attempt there. I think I've heard of this one month novel thing. For me it's too much of a rush job to complete what I'm working on.
Because proper planning is a necessity for me.
But for you, I think its a great exercise and way to improve; seeing how you're doing this to measure how far you can go in one month.
By the way, try to use words (every now and then) that capture the attention of the readers.
For instance if you're painting out a battle scene, instead of just saying 'tattered bodies', you could use 'broken bodies'/ or you might want to add "severed limbs..etc"
But that would meaning upping the level of gore in your story. However, the point here is that you need to use words that would invoke the imaginations of the readers. Its kind of like having to get them to ask themselves "Did I get read that right? Let me read it again"
Its your story. The level of gore or violence is entirely up to you. But make sure you capture their imaginations.
Keep it up!!