Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A Good Screenplay With Outdoor Scenes Only? (1 Viewer)

seunosewa

Hello,

Is it possible to write a good story with outdoor scenes only? I'm creating a sitcom mostly for fun, and I'm thinking I could perhaps make the video aspect less expensive by having outdoor scenes only, but i don't know if it's possible to do that and still have a great story. Is it not too restrictive?

Thanks.

mammamaia

would be ok for a single short, but i don't know how you could maintain a series such as a sitcom that way, unless it's set in a summer camp where all the campers have to 'rough it'... and even then, you'd still have the expense of providing camping equipment, so why not just use your own home for an 'indoor' sitcom setting?

lazerbeak

Hello,

Is it possible to write a good story with outdoor scenes only? I'm creating a sitcom mostly for fun, and I'm thinking I could perhaps make the video aspect less expensive by having outdoor scenes only, but i don't know if it's possible to do that and still have a great story. Is it not too restrictive?

Thanks.

I think it'd be perfectly possible, although as the other poster says it would depend on the story. Come up with the characters/story first, then decide where it'll work best is always my policy...

Bear in mind, however, that whilst you might save money on hiring buildings for indoor scenes (assuming you can't find any that you could use for free, which isn't so hard as it sounds...), outdoor work is a lot more problematic when it comes to actually filming - power supplies, lighting, transport, not to mention the vagueries of the weather!

I know you said it was just for fun, but bear in mind that due to costs most professional studios when commissioning sitcom scripts will generally want a maximum of two or three indoor locations with as little outdoor work - i.e. one or two scenes max - as possible.