Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A fictional martial arts competition set before or after the pandemic (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breadcrumbs11722

My main protagonist had trained and competed in a fighting tournament in his teen youth but all went to failure and years later with his life crumbled down, unable to financially support himself. He ends up saving some young victim from being attacked on the streets. The protagonist, with his use of knowledge he learned from back in his youth, fends off the victims attackers. A man who's an expert master of the arts here's the news and is stunned by the protagonist's performance of defending that victim on the street. The trained master decided to help the poor protagonist on his feet and train him as he noticed the potential and train him of what he learned, then the protagonist becomes a teacher himself.

My question is the main protagonist would have trained in his youth as a teen in the martial arts, fighting in a tournament. This was going to be set in the mid-late 90's during his youth. Then as an older adult he would probably be somewhere around in his 40's or 50's when he ends up as a martial arts teacher. That would set the time period around the 2030's which would take place post-pandemic. Would this have a great effect in the story? I was going to set the date further back and have it he became a teacher in his 40's or 50's pre-pandemic so anytime before 2020. that would make his story set in the 80's which I rather avoid but I might have to in order to avoid the covid-timeline. If it's years after from now, would rules need to change for a tournament? Would an excuse in my story be that all competitors were vaccinated and crowds watch from huge HD screens to keep the social distancing? If it's too much I'll have to set the date further back.

And this competition for teens has no protection, with all kinds of strikes, kicks and throws allowed, punches to the face are illegal and any sort of joint lockings and choke holds are illegal. Maybe they can were small gloves and that would be it. Does it sound too brutal for teens under 18 to be using against each other?

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Maybe one of the reasons for an uptake in hand to hand combat could be because over the course of 2 - 3 years, people realised C19 was not as serious as it was sold to be and that it was being used to martial in centralised governments, centralised economy and centralised law enforcement. Fanciful but solves your problem ...

JJBuchholz

I'm still of the opinion that the pandemic shouldn't make it's way into story telling. One, because we're still in it, and two, because
most people just don't want to see or hear about it anymore. It's rammed down our throats everywhere we go, and we need to
have more mediums that don't mention it at all so we can get a break from it.

I'm not down on what you're writing, make no mistake. If it works for you, great. Just don't expect a lot of hurrahs.

-JJB

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
My main protagonist had trained and competed in a fighting tournament in his teen youth but all went to failure and years later with his life crumbled down, unable to financially support himself. He ends up saving some young victim from being attacked on the streets. The protagonist, with his use of knowledge he learned from back in his youth, fends off the victims attackers. A man who's an expert master of the arts here's the news and is stunned by the protagonist's performance of defending that victim on the street. The trained master decided to help the poor protagonist on his feet and train him as he noticed the potential and train him of what he learned, then the protagonist becomes a teacher himself.

My question is the main protagonist would have trained in his youth as a teen in the martial arts, fighting in a tournament. This was going to be set in the mid-late 90's during his youth. Then as an older adult he would probably be somewhere around in his 40's or 50's when he ends up as a martial arts teacher. That would set the time period around the 2030's which would take place post-pandemic. Would this have a great effect in the story? I was going to set the date further back and have it he became a teacher in his 40's or 50's pre-pandemic so anytime before 2020. that would make his story set in the 80's which I rather avoid but I might have to in order to avoid the covid-timeline. If it's years after from now, would rules need to change for a tournament? Would an excuse in my story be that all competitors were vaccinated and crowds watch from huge HD screens to keep the social distancing? If it's too much I'll have to set the date further back.

And this competition for teens has no protection, with all kinds of strikes, kicks and throws allowed, punches to the face are illegal and any sort of joint lockings and choke holds are illegal. Maybe they can were small gloves and that would be it. Does it sound too brutal for teens under 18 to be using against each other?

The tournaments you describe from your character's youth are close to what we used in the 70's. Bare-knuckle, grabbing the uniform, catching kicks, sweeps to the legs and other take downs. Judo type throws disappeared after the 60's, but we could still take people to the ground - where we would have 3 seconds to score on them. The only required protective equipment was a cup... which really didn't do much good because the only style available were baseball cups, which offer very little protection in martial art competition.

In the 80's insurance companies got involved, and hand and foot padding became mandatory. Oddly, injuries increased because bare knuckle fights emphasized control, whereas when we wore pads be blasted each other. It stayed that way pretty much through the 90's.

In the new century, head gear has become mandatory and many wear chest protector.

Taekwondo has become an Olympic sport, their competition is only open to those practicing that style. The older type of tournament (called an Open competition) is open to all styles.

Do you want to know anything about the rules or scoring areas?

ETA: about Covid

Most tournaments have been cancelled because of Covid. A few went 'virtual' - with only form (kata, poomse) competition. They're starting up again this summer, but I don't know what the rules will be yet.

It's pretty tough to fight or exercise hard with a mask over your face - but they'll probably have to mandate; time will tell how that works out.

Sir-KP

You don't have to include the covid.

No. A lot of teenagers are even sent out to tournaments. Asian martial arts usually don't use gears and protectors, unless it's weapon art (kendo, for example).

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
You don't have to include the covid.
No. A lot of teenagers are even sent out to tournaments. Asian martial arts usually don't use gears and protectors, unless it's weapon art (kendo, for example).

That’s true, rules about protective gear and allowed striking areas will differ in different countries.

Ive competed in open tournaments (all martial art styles allowed) in the USA and Italy, and in full contact fights in the USA. Rules change a lot.

Breadcrumbs11722

Maybe one of the reasons for an uptake in hand to hand combat could be because over the course of 2 - 3 years, people realised C19 was not as serious as it was sold to be and that it was being used to martial in centralised governments, centralised economy and centralised law enforcement. Fanciful but solves your problem ...

I'll consider that.

I'm still of the opinion that the pandemic shouldn't make it's way into story telling. One, because we're still in it, and two, because
most people just don't want to see or hear about it anymore. It's rammed down our throats everywhere we go, and we need to
have more mediums that don't mention it at all so we can get a break from it.

I'm not down on what you're writing, make no mistake. If it works for you, great. Just don't expect a lot of hurrahs.

-JJB

Is it because of the idea of including the pandemic or the concept of the fighting competition itself?

Breadcrumbs11722

The tournaments you describe from your character's youth are close to what we used in the 70's. Bare-knuckle, grabbing the uniform, catching kicks, sweeps to the legs and other take downs. Judo type throws disappeared after the 60's, but we could still take people to the ground - where we would have 3 seconds to score on them. The only required protective equipment was a cup... which really didn't do much good because the only style available were baseball cups, which offer very little protection in martial art competition.

In the 80's insurance companies got involved, and hand and foot padding became mandatory. Oddly, injuries increased because bare knuckle fights emphasized control, whereas when we wore pads be blasted each other. It stayed that way pretty much through the 90's.

In the new century, head gear has become mandatory and many wear chest protector.

Taekwondo has become an Olympic sport, their competition is only open to those practicing that style. The older type of tournament (called an Open competition) is open to all styles.

Do you want to know anything about the rules or scoring areas?

ETA: about Covid

Most tournaments have been cancelled because of Covid. A few went 'virtual' - with only form (kata, poomse) competition. They're starting up again this summer, but I don't know what the rules will be yet.

It's pretty tough to fight or exercise hard with a mask over your face - but they'll probably have to mandate; time will tell how that works out.

The main protagonist would of trained and competed in the 90's during his youth. I was going to have it in the 80's when he trained but that's something that's been done before already. So assuming they would of just worn hand and foot pads but no headgear?

Was this open competition of all styles done in the 90's? That means anything from kung fu, karate, kempo, taekwondo, sanda, etc, could of been used?

That would be an issue in my story with the covid if the main protagonist as an older adult would take place in the 2030's. I don't know the outcome either. Unless I just set it that he was an older adult in the 2010's, which would most likely make it that he would of trained and competed in his youth in the 80's. Maybe the tournament should be something similar to the technology in Tron if I set it years from now?

The scoring system would help me greatly and the rules setting if you know more about it. Thanks.

JJBuchholz

Is it because of the idea of including the pandemic or the concept of the fighting competition itself?

Including the pandemic. As I mentioned earlier, all we hear every day non-stop is pandemic, pandemic, pandemic. I am of the belief that
a writer that includes it as a focal part of a new story is being just plain old lazy. Personally, for the past year I've been reading books
and things that are the furthest thing from daily events in this world, as I've enough.

Don't take my 'lazy' comment as a personal attack, because it's not. I like your idea of a fighting competition, but not laced with more
of this pandemic stuff. We all need a break from it, and fast.

-JJB

Last edited:

Breadcrumbs11722

Including the pandemic. As I mentioned earlier, all we hear every day non-stop is pandemic, pandemic, pandemic. I am of the belief that
a writer that includes it as a focal part of a new story is being just plain old lazy. Personally, for the past year I've been reading books
and things that are the furthest thing from daily events in this world, as I've enough.

Don't take my 'lazy' comment as a personal attack, because it's not. I like your idea of a fighting competition, but not laced with more
of this pandemic stuff. We all need a break from it, and fast.

-J.

I understand what you're saying. It has really been shoved in our faces throughout the news and media. Perhaps I can set the fighting competitions before the pandemic even happened. But then the protagonist would of trained in his youth in the 80's which is too much like Karate Kid. Or if I set an alternate universe where the pandemic never existed. It may be hard to avoid.

JJBuchholz

It may be hard to avoid.

How can it be 'hard to avoid'? The solution is very simple: Don't even bother using it or referencing it. Again, using the pandemic
constitutes lazy writing. Use a continental conflict, use a solar flare, use a close call with an asteroid, use any kind of major issue
that does not involve a pandemic.

It's not hard at all, in fact it's quite easy.

-JJB

Breadcrumbs11722

How can it be 'hard to avoid'? The solution is very simple: Don't even bother using it or referencing it. Again, using the pandemic
constitutes lazy writing. Use a continental conflict, use a solar flare, use a close call with an asteroid, use any kind of major issue
that does not involve a pandemic.

It's not hard at all, in fact it's quite easy.

-JJB

So basically replace the covid outbreak with say an asteroid encounter or even a zombie apocalypse instead?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
The main protagonist would of trained and competed in the 90's during his youth. I was going to have it in the 80's when he trained but that's something that's been done before already. So assuming they would of just worn hand and foot pads but no headgear?

Was this open competition of all styles done in the 90's? That means anything from kung fu, karate, kempo, taekwondo, sanda, etc, could of been used?

That would be an issue in my story with the covid if the main protagonist as an older adult would take place in the 2030's. I don't know the outcome either. Unless I just set it that he was an older adult in the 2010's, which would most likely make it that he would of trained and competed in his youth in the 80's. Maybe the tournament should be something similar to the technology in Tron if I set it years from now?

The scoring system would help me greatly and the rules setting if you know more about it. Thanks.

First, the oldest type of Karate competition in the USA is an open tournament. I believe that Master Robert Trias ran the first US tournament in 1947. Taekwondo wasn't even a thing back then (started in 1954).

Would you consider staging your martial arts tournament in the 60's or early 70's? I think that would be much more entertaining to the lay person.

I won the California Karate Championship in 1974, when we still fought with bare hands and feet. The advent of padded gloves really changed the way we fought - before then we could grab our opponent's collar or sleeve and turn them to hit the kidneys, but the gloves made grabbing impossible. Oddly, while the padding was added for 'safety', injuries actually increased when they were used. Before their use, competitors were expected to have control and not blast their opponent, but with pads it seemed everyone thought they could hit has hard as they wanted.

In the 60's and 70's we were awarded one point for strike (kick or punch) to the head, neck, chest, ribs, kidneys, spine, and groin. Take downs were allowed, and in some tournaments we were given a point while in others we had three seconds to score on a downed opponent.

These days the system is more complicated. Turning kicks (wheel (hook) kick and back kick to the head are awarded two points (they're more difficult to land). A jump kick of any sort to the head is awarded three points. I could email you the rule book if you like.

This year, head gear with a face shield has become mandatory, so maybe you could use that in your covid plot point? Regarding that, I wouldn't be interested in reading a book with covid as a major plot point - because I'm just sick of hearing about it.

ETA: Google 'Colorado Karate Association' - you can find the competition rule book there, along with a lot of other info.

Last edited:

Breadcrumbs11722

First, the oldest type of Karate competition in the USA is an open tournament. I believe that Master Robert Trias ran the first US tournament in 1947. Taekwondo wasn't even a thing back then (started in 1954).

Would you consider staging your martial arts tournament in the 60's or early 70's? I think that would be much more entertaining to the lay person.

I won the California Karate Championship in 1974, when we still fought with bare hands and feet. The advent of padded gloves really changed the way we fought - before then we could grab our opponent's collar or sleeve and turn them to hit the kidneys, but the gloves made grabbing impossible. Oddly, while the padding was added for 'safety', injuries actually increased when they were used. Before their use, competitors were expected to have control and not blast their opponent, but with pads it seemed everyone thought they could hit has hard as they wanted.

In the 60's and 70's we were awarded one point for strike (kick or punch) to the head, neck, chest, ribs, kidneys, spine, and groin. Take downs were allowed, and in some tournaments we were given a point while in others we had three seconds to score on a downed opponent.

These days the system is more complicated. Turning kicks (wheel (hook) kick and back kick to the head are awarded two points (they're more difficult to land). A jump kick of any sort to the head is awarded three points. I could email you the rule book if you like.

This year, head gear with a face shield has become mandatory, so maybe you could use that in your covid plot point? Regarding that, I wouldn't be interested in reading a book with covid as a major plot point - because I'm just sick of hearing about it.

ETA: Google 'Colorado Karate Association' - you can find the competition rule book there, along with a lot of other info.

I thought about the 70's actually. But the idea is the main protagonist would of then trained in his youth, then his main story is when he's a much older adult, even becoming like a teacher himself and being enemies with his old teacher who was a bad instructor. So if he's a full grown older adult by the time it's the 70's which would be the main story, he would of trained and competed in his youth in the 50's or even 40's. If I make it he was training and competing in his youth in the 70's, then his main story would take place probably in the 90's supposedly. His bad instructor who is the main antagonist would have served in the military before teaching martial arts and would of been the teacher and mentor of the main protagonist in his youth so that will also impact the date I set it at.

It sounds like a martial arts tournament's rules setting from the 70's would make for an interesting scenario. Unless I have it more modern-day and just make the rules based on the tournaments from the 70's? I would avoid mentioning the covid, if I did had to make it present-day or set years from now, then I guess the face shields would work and I'd just mention there was some kind of natural disaster or zombie outbreak maybe, and after things got more safe, tournaments were set up to forget these issues, but it might sound too far-fetched.

Thank you for the information. I'll definitely research it more.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I thought about the 70's actually. But the idea is the main protagonist would of then trained in his youth, then his main story is when he's a much older adult, even becoming like a teacher himself and being enemies with his old teacher who was a bad instructor. So if he's a full grown older adult by the time it's the 70's which would be the main story, he would of trained and competed in his youth in the 50's or even 40's. If I make it he was training and competing in his youth in the 70's, then his main story would take place probably in the 90's supposedly. His bad instructor who is the main antagonist would have served in the military before teaching martial arts and would of been the teacher and mentor of the main protagonist in his youth so that will also impact the date I set it at.

It sounds like a martial arts tournament's rules setting from the 70's would make for an interesting scenario. Unless I have it more modern-day and just make the rules based on the tournaments from the 70's? I would avoid mentioning the covid, if I did had to make it present-day or set years from now, then I guess the face shields would work and I'd just mention there was some kind of natural disaster or zombie outbreak maybe, and after things got more safe, tournaments were set up to forget these issues, but it might sound too far-fetched.

Thank you for the information. I'll definitely research it more.

I wonder if you could do something with the PKA (Professional Karate Association)? They ran fights in rings like boxers - I think they went out of business in the late 80's though. If your character is into Taekwondo you might use the WPTF (World Professional Taekwondo Federation) - Google it. Or maybe you could go with the MMA instead?

Otherwise use the current open tournament rules. Continuous fighting is a thing now, everyone wears pads but the fighting isn't stopped when someone scores a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.