Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A dystopian fighting tournament in a near-future setting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breadcrumbs11722

To break the law? Human fights were banned when robots were invented. But somebody's running secret fight tournaments?

Would this make sense for how the future fighting competitions could differ from how they used to be in the past? Would it be too violent if there was also someone was running secret fight tournaments for teens?

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
They fight for the vaccine, or because the world behind them is even worse than the pit.
Actually, watch The Platform on Netflix.
You wonder why someone would go in the ring.

How about American Ninja Warrior, but along the way gladiators try to kill you.

druid12000

Cyborgs. Nuff said.

Apparently not Nuff said ... nanobots that enhance physical performance/strength.

The future is gonna be awesome!

Last edited:

Breadcrumbs11722

They fight for the vaccine, or because the world behind them is even worse than the pit.
Actually, watch The Platform on Netflix.
You wonder why someone would go in the ring.

How about American Ninja Warrior, but along the way gladiators try to kill you.

I like this but would it cause controversy if I mentioned the fight for vaccine? Because many are still upset about the pandemic.

epimetheus

Friends of WF
This I can do. The enhanced nanobots. But would this make sense story wise in the near-future?

Story wise it's up to you to make it make sense. In terms of a 'realistic' portrayal of the near future, nanobot enhanced fighting is extremely unlikely. Does this matter to your story though? If you're writing hard sci-fi it might, but otherwise just make it believable. Believable =/= realistic.

druid12000

This I can do. The enhanced nanobots. But would this make sense story wise in the near-future?

I'm not sure how close we are to that eventuality, but the technology is already being developed.

I did some research for a paper a few years ago and the tech is making headway quickly. They're using nanobots to deliver medicines to target areas in ways that can't be done via conventional methods. Cool stuff.

Also, check out David Brin's 'The Postman', he has a couple of characters with enhancement tech like nanobots.

Breadcrumbs11722

Story wise it's up to you to make it make sense. In terms of a 'realistic' portrayal of the near future, nanobot enhanced fighting is extremely unlikely. Does this matter to your story though? If you're writing hard sci-fi it might, but otherwise just make it believable. Believable =/= realistic.

Maybe if it was just for an enhanced drug? Could be a good way for how a villain fighter would cheat his way to winning by using this which is illegal in a near-future setting if I said that?

Breadcrumbs11722

I'm not sure how close we are to that eventuality, but the technology is already being developed.

I did some research for a paper a few years ago and the tech is making headway quickly. They're using nanobots to deliver medicines to target areas in ways that can't be done via conventional methods. Cool stuff.

Also, check out David Brin's 'The Postman', he has a couple of characters with enhancement tech like nanobots.

Perhaps I could say something like this works further down the future, which I could see being more plausible, but 10 to 20 years from now? Would having any of this stuff ruin a potential martial arts tournament story?

epimetheus

Friends of WF
Yeah, i'm sure there are loads of performance enhancing drugs you could use in the story. Something a bit more out there could be a mental enhancement drug that slows down subjective time so the fighter experiences the fight in slow motion, giving them plenty of time to think and react. The coup would be in making it undetectable to anti-doping agencies.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
If there's a lot of money to be made in the match, sure, some fighters will cheat with steroids (etc). Beyond that, I can't see nano technology being used for a very LONG time. We're talking big event fights, like boxing etc.

Open tournaments, which have state, national, and world championships don't pay much - instead it's about prestige and an occasional seminar a world champion would teach to make some bucks. I doubt that anyone will go to the extreme of damaging their body with chemicals or paying huge money for technological enhancements for that sort of championship.

Breadcrumbs11722

If there's a lot of money to be made in the match, sure, some fighters will cheat with steroids (etc). Beyond that, I can't see nano technology being used for a very LONG time. We're talking big event fights, like boxing etc.

Open tournaments, which have state, national, and world championships don't pay much - instead it's about prestige and an occasional seminar a world champion would teach to make some bucks. I doubt that anyone will go to the extreme of damaging their body with chemicals or paying huge money for technological enhancements for that sort of championship.

I agree with you. But what if the protagonist who was trained by a good master gets challenged by boxers and MMA fighters or is offered to fight them in exchange for some vaccine or the safety of his family. Couldn't he fight against pro fighters who are using these enhanced drugs and the protagonist defeats them without the use of drugs?

Last edited:

druid12000

Perhaps I could say something like this works further down the future, which I could see being more plausible, but 10 to 20 years from now? Would having any of this stuff ruin a potential martial arts tournament story?

I don't think it would ruin it any more than performance enhancing drugs would ruin any competition. There are also concerns about nefarious uses for the tech which could add a nice wrinkle. 'Got me some bad nanos from a street dealer and now I can only see in the ultraviolet spectrum.' Or something like that :p

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
It seems like you are letting technology drive your story rather than your characters. IMO, tech and drugs are just props, characters matter.

epimetheus

Friends of WF
It seems like you are letting technology drive your story rather than your characters. IMO, tech and drugs are just props, characters matter.

Depends on the story. There is a market for hard sci-fi or even more speculative sci-fi which focuses on amazing tech or some concept more than characters. Diaspora comes to mind. That said, if you can do both it's win/win.

Status
Not open for further replies.