Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

"A dream ask me to ask you guys?!?!?!" (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunox

No literally. I had a dream that asked me to ask something on the forum and so I will. the question is..... how does someone make quenchableness an ability? I can see he opposite. a flame that eats everything or a force that is unstoppable ut how do you make the ability to be satiated an ability.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
As of right now you could edit the post to make it work better for the reader to understand what you are trying to ask us. It reads as a metaphor. But it could be clearer Kunox. I would paraphrase it better or reword it.

the question is..... how does someone make quenchableness an ability? I can see he opposite. a flame that eats everything or a force that is unstoppable ut how do you make the ability to be satiated an ability.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
An extremely interesting question. Quenchableness - the ability to be put out, or suppressed. Strength in submission - but how? The ability to absorb untold amounts of damage without fighting back? "Why do you never fight back?" they say. "It's better that way." With every strike thrown, one's life force dims, and for every strike withheld, some other power grows, longevity or perhaps another unknown thing? I think it's a variant of power-in-restraint, a build-up and redirection of superheated elements. Where potency is fire and the fire is denied - what then?

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
No literally. I had a dream that asked me to ask something on the forum and so I will. the question is..... how does someone make quenchableness an ability? I can see he opposite. a flame that eats everything or a force that is unstoppable ut how do you make the ability to be satiated an ability.

An extremely interesting question. Quenchableness - the ability to be put out, or suppressed. Strength in submission - but how? The ability to absorb untold amounts of damage without fighting back? "Why do you never fight back?" they say. "It's better that way." With every strike thrown, one's life force dims, and for every strike withheld, some other power grows, longevity or perhaps another unknown thing? I think it's a variant of power-in-restraint, a build-up and redirection of superheated elements. Where potency is fire and the fire is denied - what then?
transmutation?
v
ability to diminish to negligibility ("took the fight right out of you")
applied to large external group (for no apparent reason, both sides calmed and dispersed, unaware of the twinkling eyed observer)
v
stasis (dwindling toward rest, duration unknowable, the student pocketed pen and prepared to wake within unfamiliar surroundings)

any of those paths seem answer.ish?
;)

kunox

As of right now you could edit the post to make it work better for the reader to understand what you are trying to ask us. It reads as a metaphor. But it could be clearer Kunox. I would paraphrase it better or reword it.
sorry. it's hard to write when your minds flying a million miles an hour....

kunox

good points... so close each of these. I think a little backstory will be told after awhile. so from what I see here is the closest though. I ask because my four forces of the universe in truly has basic elements under each. i.e. "fire/red doppler" has each of the basic elements, light,, darkness, lightning, and radiation.. under each...so the "ice/blue dopplar needs things that are quenchibleness as bilities except for lightning...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Ok how about this example? I remember someone trying to reinvent the trope of the vampire cliché. The cliché turned instead of a hungry vampire that needed blood. To one that a vampire that needed tears to quench thirst. I believe hunger like in the vampires case is a form of greed and sustenance. If you will, it is an example. It could destroy you to quench that desire. It's been done. But was badly executed in a novel. Maybe you could try it in a time of global warming?

Off the top of my head how about a desire for a fortune-teller to need some sustenance such as a gold mine to feed her powers? This is a tough question but I think I understood the question. Or who knows? A leprechaun needs gold for whatever powers it has.

Superman would have been more balanced if needed the actual crystals to use his powers.

Make sure to base it on a real myth. Reinvent a cliché. I believe there are websites with myths. Death needs souls of people to live. Retell the myth from the perspective of the antagonist.

Last edited:

EternalGreen

Ha, "horrible undead beings that drink tears to live." I love that.

Anyway, to answer OP's question: I think you mean "the ability to be satisfied," or "the ability to be content," or "the ability to not be restless." I don't consider that an ability but a quality.

A human being (in real life at least) has a digestive system to extract nutrients from what we consume. So if you were creating some kind of monster that drinks tears like glasshouse suggested, you could come up with a "digestive system" that processes the tears (maybe through magic) and creates enough energy to keep the being animate. In that sense, you could say that the being is "quenched."

A magical digestive system that can create energy from human tears could certainly be an "ability" like fantasy nuclear power or something.

kunox

last question on this... because there is already a lot to consider.
have you ever been given instruction in a dream and followed them in real life. I swear I have done this twice now where a dream has told me to do some things and I did them just to see if i can get inspiration... the first time the entire dream was the same two sentences over and over again. "research hydrostatic drive." and.... "research hydromancy." the other time I was asked to ask a particular question on a forum and it to led to interesting results; what your opinion on this. lol... my brain is oddly specific sometimes and thus gave specific instructions. even if it has to repeat them over and over again... lol..

p.s, the last time it directly told me a couple good ideas for my stories as well...0.o.....

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Many of the plots for my novels have come in dreams. Beyond that, my dreams often relate to trauma from my past - I rarely sleep more than three hours in a stretch, and will get up and wander the house for a bit afterward.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
ability to diminish to negligibility ("took the fight right out of you")
applied to large external group (for no apparent reason, both sides calmed and dispersed, unaware of the twinkling eyed observer)

I do like this, now he has all that power and fury what happens with it? Can he convert it, instant karma man.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Hydromancy (from Greek Hydro, water, and Manteia, divination) is the art of gazing by means of water, including the color, ebb and flow, or ripples produced by pebbles dropped in a pool.

I think that's difficult to make a story from. However, I will encourage you to use your imagination. I think hydromancy is too arcane a concept and is based on superstition when science did not exist. Maybe two characters can exist. Look up social and psychological motives and use that as a motivation for a character. It's a psychological concept. For those interested the book by rust hills is where I got that theory from. You must know your character well enough. Motivation triggers action.

Conflict that is to plot centered is good. But you must learn more about your character, and what motivates them.

Mutimir

When I read the question I can only think of my experience with video games. In many RPGs the Knight class often has a guard or defend ability. This is when the individual takes on damage meant for another. When I think of "Quenchablness" it made me think of this. Someone with a unyielding desire to protect someone and in turn suffer damage.

kunox

here is a new thought/question... I may now have two co-writers. I was wondering if it would help me if I joined an in person writing group.... or a group chat writing group.. one where we share our projects and actively go over each others... I am not talking about a forum btw. I went from barely writing and kind of kicking myself to hypo manic a bit and possibly going to write all night now. any thoughts on this.

I know this isn't a super helpful answer, but an in-person writing group is great if you have the right people. By the right people, I mean people who take their writing at a similar level of seriousness, and have at least somewhat similar tastes and genres, but not so similar that there's no diversity of opinion. I have a great real-life writing group, found among family and friends. It has been very helpful and encouraging. I tried going to a more public writing group (met at a restaurant in the Twin Cities), defiantly was not as helpful. Do you know any writers?

On the dreams question ... once when I was little, I was wondering throughout the day how I could draw lilies - I could only figure out simpler flowers. Then, that night, I dreamed I was drawing lilies, and when I woke up I knew how. I always remember how God taught me how to draw lilies through a dream.

Terra

here is a new thought/question... I may now have two co-writers. I was wondering if it would help me if I joined an in person writing group.... or a group chat writing group.. one where we share our projects and actively go over each others... I am not talking about a forum btw. I went from barely writing and kind of kicking myself to hypo manic a bit and possibly going to write all night now. any thoughts on this.

I've been a member of a f2f writers group going on six years, and it is a love/hate relationship. I receive encouragement, motivation, and inspiration from the other members because we have something in common with each other ... writing. That is about the only connection that holds our group together. There is rarely any brainstorming or discussion about WIPs, at least not at the monthly meetings, and because we each have a different genre-of-choice, it's difficult to get or give feedback to a piece that is hard to relate to other than just listening/reading. I have attended several f2f genre-specific workshops in larger centres that were a huge complement to my home group, and swapping emails with other attendees is a way to build a network based on similar writing. In saying all that, I prefer the online forum-style setting, with f2f filling in the gaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.