Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A Day In the Life Support of Henry Henderson (1 Viewer)

This is my first attempt at blending comedy and drama into the same story. Let me know if it's destined for Broadway.... or if it's destined for the paper shredder. Oh... and one more thing. I'm well aware that this might not be in the right format and to be honest, what does it matter right now? After reading a lot of the posts on here I've discovered that there's too much criticizing about the format and not enough about the actual writing. You know... the story, plot, characters? Especially from you mammamaia or however you spell your name. So don't even bother reading this if all you're going to do is complain about how the lines aren't spaced apart correctly. To the rest of you.... ENJOY!

ACT 1
SCENE 1
SETTING: We are in the ICU unit of a small town hospitol. The stage is roughly devided in half. Stage right serves as the general reception area where there is a large counter center behind which are shelves lined with files and medical records. To the right of the counter is an elevator. A door leads stage left into HENRY HENDERSON'S room. He is lying in a hospital bed hooked up to all sorts of fancy medical equipment such as a heart monitor, medication, etc. On the other side of the room is a small table on which sits his personal belongings as well as those of various members of his family as well as several charis spread around the room. Also in the room is a door which leads to the bathroom.

AT RISE: We see MOTHER, an elderly woman bursting with energy, sitting in a chair in front of the bed knitting and humming a happy tune. As she does, NURSE HOLLY, a young woman fresh out of medical school still nervous to be in the real world and slightly ditzy and incapable but with a warm and sincere personality, enters from stage right pushing a medical cart in front of her. She stops when she comes to the door and knocks.

MOTHER
(Bright and cheery.)
Come in.

NURSE HOLLY
(Pushing the cart into the room.)
Mrs. Henderson, are you sure there's nothing I can get for you? You've been sitting there all night and......

MOTHER
(Cutting her off.)
You know, today is going to be the day. I don't know how I know it, I just do. I can feel it in my bones that today is going to be the day my husband rises up and joins the world of the living. Of course, it could just be my calcium supplement kicking in. Dr. Stephelopolis put me on a calcium supplement about a month ago. Have you ever heard of him?

NURSE HOLLY
(Organizing the cart.)
No Mrs. Henderson. I don't believe I have.

MOTHER
Oh that's a shame deary. He des excellent work...... even if he's not a real doctor.

NURSE HOLLY
What do you mean?

MOTHER
Well you see, it's his signature. Now, I have seen signatures and I've seen signatures, and this man does not have the signature of a doctor.

NURSE HOLLY
What's wrong with it?

MOTHER
I can read it. That's what's wrong with it. Never trust a doctor with a signature you can actually read. It's a bad omen if ever I saw one.

NURSE HOLLY
Well if you don't think he's real, then why do you keep him?

MOTHER
(flirtatiously)
He keeps me young.
(pause)
That and he's the only doctor my insurance will pay for.

NURSE HOLLY
I see. Now are you sure there's nothing I can get for you? A blanket, pillow, food, water, book, magazine, movie, anything?

MOTHER
No thanks dear. Don't you worry your pretty little head about me. I'll be okay. After all, today is a new day and today is the day my husband is going to snap out of it and jump right on off that bed and into my arms. I should probably take another calcium tablet to prepare for the impact.

NURSE HOLLY
But that's what you said yesterday Mrs. Henderson, and the day before that, and the day before that, and everyday this week.

MOTHER
Yes, but all those days I was wrong dear. Today I'm right.

NURSE HOLLY
I just don't want you to get your hopes up, that's all.

MOTHER
Don't worry dear. Knowing my Henry, he never stays with anything too long, and I'm sure a coma is no exception. Why, we had our house painted not too long ago, and as soon as the painters left he was already tired of the color so he had them right back at the house the next day. Of course, by then he was tired of the painters too and wanted to go with a new company. Not that I had a problem with it mind you. I was sort of anxious to get rid of them too. One of them kept giving me the most suggestive lookss, but by the time he had picked out new painters he was tired of the house all together and wanted to move to a beach front estate on Long Island. Sometimes it amazes me that he hasn't gotten tired of me. Probably because on the night of our wedding I looked him square in the eye and said Henry Herbert Henderson, if ever you get the notion to walk out on me I'll sneak up on you in the middle of the night and castrate you in your sleep. He's been faithfull and true ever since. I'm not sure what any of that had to do with the current situation, but at least we're making conversation. I can't stand nurses who can't make conversation and have absolutly no bedside manner. Can you?

NURSE HOLLY
(Not sure what to say.)
I...... um......

MOTHER
Good deary. I knew you'd understand.

NURSE HOLLY
Whatever you say Mrs. Henderson.

MOTHER
Oh by the way dear, have you seen Vicky lately? She seems to have poof! Dissapeared.

NURSE HOLLY
No, I'm afriad I haven't. Actualy, to be honest with you I'm more afraid when I have seen her. For some reason she frightens all the sense out of me and I just fall all to pieces.

MOTHER
Really? How bizarre. Is she going around with her underwear on the outside again? I thought she got over that phase when she turned seven, but I guess I was......

NURSE HOLLY
No no. It's not that, which is still very frightening and just a little wrong, it's just that I can't seem to be able to work when she's around. It's almost like she's hovering above me or something. That's why I thought I'd come check on Henry now...... when she's gone.

MOTHER
Well, knowing Vicky she's probably off somewhere in the hospitol making some very important rounds of her own. She's always in such a hurry. It seems as if there's never a moment when she's not busy as a bee flying here and there, there and here, and all in the blink of an eye. One minute she's out halfway across town running errands, the next she's right there under your nose talking into that silly little phone of hers.

(The elevator door suddenly opens and
out rushes VICKY in a furry, talking
on her cell phone.)

VICKY
(Loudly, to where everyone can hear her.)
What do you mean you can't come?

MOTHER
Ah, there she is now. See what I'm talking about? Nurse? Nurse? Oh Nurse Holly?

(MOTHER has not noticed that NURSE
HOLLY has hidden herself in the
bathroom, closing the door behind
her. VICKY bursts into the room,
knocking into the medical tray
NURSE HOLLY left in the middle of
the room.)

VICKY
Hold on a sec. Some idiot has left this obstruction in the middle of the room. Probably that Nurse Hookey or Hickey or whatever her name is that we have. She just got out of medical school and she can't do anything right.
(NURSE HOLLY sticks her head out of
the bathroom and gives VICKY a mean
look, but ducks back inside before
she can be seen.)
Now what was I saying? Oh yes, I don't care how busy you are with term papers, research papers, and essay papers, divorce papers...... oh wait, that's me, nevermind...... and any other kind of paper. The world only has so much paper honey, and you need to save some for college students yet to come. There'll be plenty of time to become a...... a...... what was it you want to be again?
(pause)
A urologist. That's it. I remember when you were just a little girl and you would talk about growing up and heading off the college, and one day mommy asked you, "Jessica, what do you want to be when you grow up?" and you said in that cute little girlish voice of yours, "Mommy mommy mommy! I wanna be a dinasaur!" It didn't matter to you how much they got paid. It didn't even matter that they weren't real. All that mattered was that you had a dream. You had goals. Do you still have goals honey?
(pause)
Taking over the world and enslaving all the men isn't a very realistic goal sweety...... nor is it legal. Jessica, what do I have to do to get you to come down here? Uh! I know! We'll ask your grandfather. Don't you want to talk to your grandfather? Of course you do. Hang on. I'll see if he's available.
(Speaking over her shoulder.)
Oh daddy, someone wants to speak to you.

MOTHER
Who are you talking to deary?

VICKY
Why, daddy of course.

(MOTHER looks oddly at VICKY and
then over at the bed.)

MOTHER
Oh Vicky, didn't anyone tell you? Your father's in a coma. He can't hear you.

VICKY
(Talking to her teeth, frustrated.)
I know that mother. It was a joke.

MOTHER
You mean he's not really in a coma?

VICKY
No!

MOTHER
No he is in a coma or no he isn't in a coma?

VICKY
Yes he's in a coma!

MOTHER
Well I wish he'd make up his mind.

(VICKY starts to say something, but
is unable to find the words and goes
back to the phone.)

VICKY
Jessica, are you still there?
(pause)
Good. Now, let's try again. Oh daddy, someone's on the phone. Why, I don believe it's Jessica calling all the way from Yale University. Fancy that. Oh Jessica, I think he wants to speak to you. Here, I'll put him on.
(VICKY holds the phone up to the heart
monitor and lets it beep a few times
before putting it back up to her ear.)
Aw, see? Look how happy you make him. Imagine how happy he'd be if you were here in person. Imagine how happy we'd all be. Imagine how happy I'd be. Don't you want your mother to be happy? Don't you? Well don't you?
(Click sound, as if JESSICA had hung up.)
Hello? Jessica? Okay honey. Talk to you soon...... I hope.
(To MOTHER.)
That was Jessica. She's just so eager to come home and see all our bright shiny faces.

MOTHER
Are you sure dear? It didn't sound like it.

VICKY
She is, don't worry. She is. She just has a lot on her plate right now. A lot of papers. You know how college is.

MOTHER
No, I'm afraid I don't. I never went to college myself.

VICKY
Really? Where did you go after high school?

MOTHER
Woodstock. That's not to say I didn't learn anything. I just haven't had the chance yet to apply it to my everyday life.

NURSE HOLLY
(Bursting out of the bathroom in a
wild frenzy.)
Help! Help! Nurse!
(She notices that MOTHER and VICKY
are staring at her.)
I saw a bug. It looked mean.
(Awkward pause.)
I'll just be going now.

MOTHER
So soon? Oh, but you haven't done anything.

VICKY
What? You mean you've been here this whole time listening to my private conversation while my poor daddy lies in his death bed rotting away and you haven't even tended to him yet? What do they teach you kids in medical school these days?

NURSE HOLLY
I'm sorry Mrs. Henderson.

VICKY
Don't be sorry. Just do your job...... if indeed that's something you're capable of.

NURSE HOLLY
Yes Mrs. Henderson. Right away Mrs. Henderson.

(NURSE HOLLY walks over to the rolling
cart and a needle and small bottle. She
makes her way back over to the bed and
lowers the needle when VICKY interjects.)

VICKY
What are you doing with that needle?

NURSE HOLLY
(shaken)
I'm going to draw some blood Mrs. Henderson and put it in this bottle.

VICKY
Why? Oh wait, I see. You're one of those neo vampire nurses aren't you?

NURSE HOLLY
I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

VICKY
I've heard about your kind on 60 Minutes. Volunteering at local hospitals, taking the night shift so no one can see your true self.

NURSE HOLLY
But it's 12:30 in the afternoon Mrs. Henderson.

MOTHER
(Looking at her watch.)
Really? Mine only says ten past.

VICKY
Quiet mother. I'm telling a story. You sneak into patients' rooms, draw their blood with your fancy needles and dispense it into your fancy little bottles and take it up to "the lab." Ha! The lab. Where exactly is this lab? How come no one has ever seen it? Huh? Huh? Huh?

NURSE HOLLY
Because patients aren't allowed in there Mrs. Henderson. It is a highly confidential area.

VICKY
Is it now? Or are you just saying that because it's not real? Are you just saying that to cover the fact that you take it for yourself and use it to feed your other-worldly thirst for human blood?

NURSE HOLLY
(cringing)
Please Mrs. Henderson. You're frightening me.

VICKY
You don't say?
(Moving towards the window.)
What was that?

NURSE HOLLY
(frightened)
What was what?

VICKY
It sounded like there was something outside the window. Could it be? Could it be?

NURSE HOLLY
(Completely falling for it.)
What? What could it be?

VICKY
Could it be......
(Pulling the curtains apart and letting
in a ray of sun.)
The daylight come to take your immortal soul!

NURSE HOLLY
(Falling to the floor.)
Aghh!

VICKY
It burns doesn't it?

(NURSE HOLLY quickly jumps up and
runs out of the room and off stage.)

MOTHER
(Who has been setting her watch this
whole time, completely oblivious to
what has been going on around her.)
And...... set! I swear, this watch gives me more trouble than......
(She notices NURSE HOLLY is gone.)
Where did the nurse go?

VICKY
Back to medical school I hope.

MOTHER
You know dear, you really should give the girl a break. I think she's frightened of you.

VICKY
(flattered)
You think so?

MOTHER
I think so.

VICKY
Na! Oh, but speaking of Thanksgiving......

MOTHER
I didn't know we were talking about Thanksgiving. I thought we were talking about Nurse Holly.

VICKY
Well it's been on my mind for a few days now, and I've been wondering how to go about doing it.

MOTHER
Well you eat dear. That's how you do it. On Thanksgiving you eat, on Christmas you open presents and get drunk off egg nog, on your birthday you open presents and get drunk at the bar, and on Valentine's day you get drunk and have sex. At least, that's how your father and I used to celebrate it.

VICKY
Mother! That's not what I meant. I mean how do we go about doing it here...... now...... given the current situation.

MOTHER
What situation would that be?

VICKY
(Pointing at the bed.)
That situation!

(pause)

MOTHER
I'm afraid I'm not following you dear.

VICKY
Erghh! Thanksgiving! What are we going to do for Thanksgiving this year?

MOTHER
Oh, well why didn't you just say so dear? I don't know. I figured we'd just skip it this year.

VICKY
Skip it? Skip it? It is a Henderson family tradition every year to gather at Thanksgiving and Christmas and...... well...... be together, and as long as I have Henderson blood flowing through my veins that tradition will not change.

(pause)

MOTHER
So we'll go to Mickey D's then?

Last edited:
(An otherwise awkward moment is avoided
when LUKE walks into the room wearing a
white coar to signify his position as a
doctor and a still shaken NURSE HOLLY
into the room with him.)

LUKE
Mom, do you have an explanation for this?

VICKY
(Trying to act innocent with a cheesy
grin.)
An explanation for what dear?

LUKE
(Pointing at NURSE HOLLY.)
This.

VICKY
Well that's a nurse Luke. They work here. There's thousands of them running about.

LUKE
Yes, but normaly they don't run into the elevator screaming "I'm melting. I'm melting."

VICKY
Maybe she was rehearsing a scene from The Wizard of Oz.

MOTHER
(Clueless that she is getting VICKY in
trouble.)
No she's not dear. You scared her remember? Because you told her she was a vampire.

VICKY
A vampire? Why I never. Am I the kind of person who would do a thing like that?

MOTHER, NURSE HOLLY, and LUKE
Yes.

VICKY
Well I'm sorry, okay? I just don't like the idea of perfect strangers hovering over my father with needles and other sharp objects, and I'm sure he wouldn't either.

LUKE
Mom, you need to stop scaring the nurses okay?

VICKY
Fine.
(She coldly steps aside.)
Draw away.
(NURSE HOLLY walks up to HENRY and starts
her work as VICKY crosses to LUKE.)
Luke, before you go, I've been meaning to ask you. What's your schedule look like for Thanksgiving?

LUKE
Let's see...... I have three transplants, two cardiac bipasses, and an angioplasty.

VICKY
I see. Any chance you could skip the transplants and take the bipass to the angioplasty?
(She laughs, but LUKE doesn't find it
funny.)
I'm guessing no?

LUKE
No. Look, I'm sorry. I know you had big hopes of everybody getting together this year. You've been planning it since last Thanksgiving when Mark and Jessica went off to college, but as you can see......
(He motions toward HENRY.)
Some things have come up and......

VICKY
Don't you dare say skip it. I will not skip it. I even hate the way it sounds. "Skip it." Yuck. It makes me sick.

LUKE
Lucky for you we're in a hospital, so that's nothing to worry about.

VICKY
Luke, I'm being serious.

LUKE
Why is it so important to you all of a sudden?

VICKY
It has always been important to me Luke. I thought it was to everybody else too, but I guess I was wrong. You were all for it last year.

LUKE
I wasn't a full time doctor last year mom. Things have changed since then.
(A voice comes on the P.A. system and
says "Paging Dr. Henderson.")
Look mom, I sorta have to go...... you know...... work? Can we talk about this later?

VICKY
(solemnly)
Sure. You go be a doctor Luke.
(LUKE rushes off stage. VICKY follows
to the door looking out at him.)
I remember when you used to play doctor. The game's changed a little since then. Everything has.

NURSE HOLLY
All done Mrs. Henderson. Now see, was that so bad?
(VICKY says nothing as she stares out
the door.)
Mrs. Henderson? Aren't you going to yell at me for something?

VICKY
No. Not right now. Thank you.

NURSE HOLLY
Really? Maybe now I won't be so jittery.

(NURSE HOLLY walks off, pushing the cart
in front of her. Once she is off stage,
MOTHER suddenly speaks up.)

MOTHER
Good bye deary!
(A large crash is suddenly heard off stage.
MOTHER and VICKY are completely oblivious.)
Such a nice girls. Isn't she Vicky?
(pause)
Vicky?
(No answer.)
Vicky, is something the matter?

VICKY
(Moping back into the room.)
No mother. Everything's fine. Life is perfect.

(RICHARD suddenly bursts into the room
in a frenzy.)

RICHARD
Life sucks!

VICKY
Please dear, can you refrain from saying that in this room? Some of us are trying to cling onto it at all costs.

RICHARD
Vicky, can you please refrain from calling me dear? It is a little odd since we're sorta kinda having a divorce.

VICKY
Sorry dear. I mean...... old habits die hard.

RICHARD
Well, I can't stay long.

VICKY
No, please. Stay...... long. It's like a desert island in here sometimes what with daddy out of it and mother too for that matter.

MOTHER
What was that dear?

VICKY
Nothing mother. Go back to sleep.

RICHARD
What about Luke?

VICKY
He's busy with his "career."

RICHARD
Oh yeah? Well that makes one of us.

VICKY
What's that supposed to mean?

RICHARD
Nothing. It's nothing.

VICKY
No, it's definatly something. Trouble at work?

RICHARD
I don't feel like going into it.

VICKY
(Emphasizing the fact she's not calling
him "dear."
You know Richard, we may not be married anymore, but we can still talk you know?
(pause)
Oh my god. You got fired didn't you?

RICHARD
Fired is such a negative term.

VICKY
Good luck finding one that's positive. Is that it though?
(pause)
Well is it?

RICHARD
Yes, that's it. Thank you Nancy Drew. You've done it again. I got fired.

VICKY
Well dear......
(RICHARD shoots her a glance.)
Richard. It's nothing to beat yourself up about. I mean, lots of people get fired. People get fired everyday in this crazy world of ours. You know?

RICHARD
Yeah? Well not me.

VICKY
You need a place to stay until you find......

RICHARD
Look Vicky, I know what you're going to say and I really don't think that's a good idea right now. You have a lot on your plate, I have a lot on my plate...... okay not a whole lot. I've just been fired, but I've got a lot to think about right now.

VICKY
Then think about it at home. You do remember home don't you?

RICHARD
Yes I remember home.

VICKY
I just thought you might miss it that's all. Guess not.

(pause)

RICHARD
I didn't mean to stay that long. I just stopped by to ask about the papers.

VICKY
The papers?

RICHARD
The divorce papers?

VICKY
Oh. I thought you might have meant research papers. Jessica has plenty of those with her at Yale. I talked to Jessica today.

RICHARD
Yeah? How is she?

VICKY
She's fine. Busy. College. That sorta thing.

RICHARD
Yeah.

(pause)

VICKY
Richard, why can't we talk anymore?

RICHARD
I thought we were talking.

VICKY
Yeah...... sorta, but I don't know. Something just feels awkward. Don't you feel it? It's like the Berlin Wall following us everywhere we go.

RICHARD
Which side am I? East or West?
(pause)
That was my attempt at a joke.

VICKY
See! We can't even laugh anymore! Richard, what's wrong with us?

RICHARD
It's called divorce Vicky, and like it or not it has a tendancy to make things kinda awkward. It'll all be over once yu finally sign the papers. You've had them for I don't know how long.

VICKY
Right...... the papers.

RICHARD
You do know where they are don't you?

VICKY
Well...... yes and no.

RICHARD
You lost the papers?

VICKY
Lost is such a negative term. Sorta like fired really.

RICHARD
If you had just signed them to begin with like I said......

VICKY
Like you said? Richard, we had just declared our divorce. Forgive me if I wasn't in the mood to do whatever you said.
(pause)
Sorry. That was mean.

RICHARD
It's all right. We're getting divorced. We're allowed to be mean.

VICKY
But I don't want to be mean. I don't want any of this.

RICHARD
Well that's too bad Vicky, because here it is. You got it.
(pause)
Sorry. Now I'm being mean. Just...... be on the look out for them all right? And when you find them, please sign them so we can put this whole thing behind us.

VICKY
What will you do?

RICHARD
What do you mean?

VICKY
You don't have a job now Richard, and there's a little thing called rent. There's another little thing called bills, and actually it aint that little.

RICHARD
I'll make do. I'm not some bum off the street Vicky. I'm gonna start looking for a new job immediatly.

VICKY
Looking is one thing, but getting one...... well, that's quite another.

RICHARD
I'll be fine.

(RICHARD starts to leave when VICKY
stops him.)

VICKY
Thanksgiving?

RICHARD
Yes, I've heard of it.

VICKY
Do you have plans?

RICHARD
Presently? No. Why?

VICKY
Well, I know it would sorta be spur of the moment, but I was thinking of arranging something here in honor of daddy. You know, getting everybody together just like the good old days? Do you remember the good old days Richard? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does.

RICHARD
I remember them, but Thanksgiving? Here? In the hospital? All of us together? That's gonna take a lot of work Vicky.

VICKY
I'm this close to getting VIcky down here, and that's the biggest hump right there. Luke's already here cause he works here, and I can get Mark down here in a flash. All I have to do is bribe him.

RICHARD
I don't know.

VICKY
I'll bring the papers.

RICHARD
You have to find them first.

VICKY
I can do that.

RICHARD
I'll think about it.

VICKY
(teasing)
Thank you dear.

RICHARD
(Teasing along with her.)
You're welcome honey.

(RICHARD walks off.)

MOTHER
(Looking back for the first time.)
OO...... I think he likes you Vicky.

VICKY
Please don't tease me mother. I'm very suceptible right now.

MOTHER
About what?

VICKY
Everything.

MOTHER
Well you know dear, you can tell me about these things. If something is bothering you just let it out.

VICKY
You wouldn't understand.

MOTHER
Try me.

(pause)

VICKY
Is there something wrong with me mother?

MOTHER
What? Of course not. Who put such a crazy idea into your head?

VICKY
Probably me. I always did like to invent problems for myself.

MOTHER
Yes indeed. Even as a little girl you were always so hard on yourself, but I'm guessing that's not the root of the problem, is it?

VICKY
I don't know. I don't know what I'm talking about. Haven't you ever felt that way mother? You know something is wrong, but no matter how hard you try you can't put it out in words? You just feel bad.

MOTHER
Do you still love him Vicky?

VICKY
What?

MOTHER
Richard. Do you still love him?

VICKY
What does that have to do with......

MOTHER
Nothing. It has nothing to do with it, or it may have everything to do with it. I don't know. You said you didn't know how to describe what's bothering you, so I figured that subject would get us nowhere so I changed it. Do you still love him?

VICKY
Of course I still love him. You know my philosophy about love mother. Once you say it, and if you mean it, no matter what happens you can never take it back.

MOTHER
Okay then. I'll rephrase it. Do you still "like" him?
(pause)
This one's a bit more tricky, huh?

VICKY
We..... we should not be talking about this. He was just here. He could still be here, listening outside the door.

MOTHER
Oh good. That saves you the trouble of having to tell it to him later.

VICKY
Tell him what?

MOTHER
That you still like him.

VICKY
I don't like him! We're getting divorced! I'm not allowed to like him.

MOTHER
There are no rules in love and war dear.

VICKY
What idiot came up with that saying anyway?

MOTHER
You know, I'm not sure really. I think they were French though, so I'm thinking...... Napoleon maybe?

VICKY
Oh yes, I can just see it now. Napoleon speaking of love and reciting bits of poetry to his troops before sending them off to conqeur half of Europe.

MOTHER
Well they named a pastry after him.

VICKY
What does any of this have to do with Richard?

MOTHER
Exactly.

VICKY
What?

MOTHER
There's my point. We could have kept going on all day about Napoleon, but you wanted to change it back to Richard. Admit it Vicky. You want him back.

VICKY
I want him...... in my life, yes. I want to be able to see him and hold intelligent conversation with him and know that we at least still care about each other, but I'm not going to push it any past that. Of course, now I don't even think he wants that much.

MOTHER
He does.

VICKY
(Suddenly very excited.)
How do you know? Has he said something?

MOTHER
No.
(VICKY slumps down in the chair.)
He doesn't have to. It's so obvious. Why else would he come all the way down here just to see you?

VICKY
He didn't come to see me. He came to ask me if I'd signed the papers. You know...... to speed up the process of never having to see me again?

MOTHER
And how many times has he used that excuse this month? And no doubt he'll use it again.

VICKY
I don't know.

MOTHER
Luckily, I do.
(VICKY gets up and heads for the door.)
Where are you going dear?

VICKY
I'm going to stop by the house and go through a few things. I'll be back later.

MOTHER
Okay dear. And you think about what I said.

VICKY
(Stopping at the door.)
Bye mother.

(She exits into the elevator. LUKE
enters shortly after.

LUKE
Knock knock.

MOTHER
Who's there?

LUKE
Your favorate grandson.

MOTHER
You know, I bet by some strange metaphysical wonder Mark heard that all the way up in New York.

LUKE
If he did I'll hear about it next time I see him. Whenever that'll be.

MOTHER
Vicky's counting on pretty soon. She has this huge operation in her head of bringing everyone down here.

LUKE
I know. Gram, is mom all right? She seems extra...... the way she is lately.

MOTHER
She's going through her own problems. Henry going under here was the final straw. She'll be fine though.

LUKE
(Feeling guilty of something.)
Right. Is she here? There's...... um......some things I need to talk about with her.

MOTHER
No, I'm afraid you just missed her.

LUKE
Did she happen to say where she was going?

MOTHER
Home. She's awfully fond of that place lately. I don't know why. She's there all by herself, things are packed up like a yard sale came through. Is something wrong Luke?
(pause)
Luke?

LUKE
(uneasily)
Yeah. Something's wrong.

(MOTHER stares at LUKE with concern
and worry as the lights slowly fade
down.)

LIGHTS OUT
END OF SCENE