Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

"A Darkling Plain" by Philip Reeve (1 Viewer)

Scarecrow

This is the last book in the series that began with Mortal Engines. They're aimed at that elusive "young adult" audience, but I read the first one when I was 13 and just finished this one at age 17. I think the books matured as I did; they get a lot more serious as the series come to a conclusion.

The premise of the novels is so bizarre I won't bother explaining it, but siffice to say that it's an epic swashbuckling adventure set in a futuristic steampunk world. Normally that kind of adventurous story would be enough for me, but Reeve adds in a whole layer of moral complexity, romance and characters I actually came to care deeply about. It was the greatest series I ever read.

And when I finished this book, I cried. I didn't cry when my own grandfather died, but I cried at the end of this book.