Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A cure for writers trashing themselves? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
This kind of thing goes right back at the person themselves and the reason of the self-trashing problem. Is it because of the toilet-paper mentality or something else?

Some people do this kind of stuff to fish attention and comfort for ego boost. While some other people who do this sometimes can be very cocky behind; they just like the attention.

As for those with toilet-paper mentality (me included to a certain extent :p ), which are very likely to come from rough, unsupportive surroundings, the only cure is to fully realize that we are not perfect and there's always someone worse and better out there. That's just a fact in this life. This won't change you around instantly, but at least will help you climb out of that pit easier.
If you've fallen in the mud, you can either continue to stare down into it, or roll over and gaze at the stars.

I had a very rough beginning, poverty, living on the street as a kid, and drug abuse. But I knew in my heart that was not where I wanted to stay, so I focused on the stars and reached for them. If you do nothing, you'll stay there. It's hard, but we have to learn to believe in our self, even when no one else does. Keep reaching. Keep pressing against the edges of what you've been told is possible for you. Don't let the beliefs of others restrict your potential.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
I try to strive for a sort of balance. I certainly don't always manage it, but I try to at least consciously aware of the target that I'm aiming for.

In regards to this topic, the ideal balance (for me) is to be proud of what I've written so far, but to still hunger for continual improvement.

I believe it's too easy to swing to either side of that pendulum -- to either wallow in self-criticism (I think we've all been there), or to believe you're above the need for any criticism at all.

The writers who manage to find that sweet spot, in the middle, are the ones who I believe go the farthest. But that's not always an easy target to hit. Especially in writing, where some rejections can really batter one's self-esteem, and where some successes can really bloat one's ego. 🤔

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
It helps me to treat writing as I would a job. I write everyday - most of the time this works out to be 6 to 8 hours (less in the summer when I'm traveling). Reading is also important - so at least 2 hours a day I read.
I like this - it's sort of a knock off of Aristotle though.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ”​

Will Durant WRITER AND HISTORIAN

Matchu

I’d like to wave a tiny flag for any writers remaining who are not yet retired, and who are not suffering debilitating illness ,y’know my finger only brushed the screen there and my assholery is preserved forever I call that a iniversal glitch jefus

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I’d like to wave a tiny flag for any writers remaining who are not yet retired, and who are not suffering debilitating illness ,y’know my finger only brushed the screen there and my assholery is preserved forever I call that a iniversal glitch jefus
I agree - retirement does have advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.