Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A Close Look at Madison Smartt Bell's "The Naked Lady" Published (1 Viewer)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
My essay, A Close Look at Madison Smartt Bell's "The Naked Lady," went live today at OPEN: Journal of Arts & Letters. Go here to read the story and read my essay on the story
https://ojalart.com/associate-edito...eading-of-madison-smartt-bellsthe-naked-lady/ I particularly like the way Bell uses non-standard language and it's also funny and effective the way he uses hyperbole. (Strange thing, though, Facebook won't accept the image used. It violates community standards, they say.)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Seriously? Showing a photograph of a woman with "nips" is, according to Facebook choices, is right up there on par with hate speech? But they're okay if they're shown in comics or fantasy art groups? The story and essay are about a man who carved sculptures of naked ladies so the photo seemed appropriate enough to me. This is sure a surprise to me. "Nips" and hate speech viewed as similar enough problems that both should be banned. . . But men's "nips" would be okay, I presume . . . The world gets more puzzling with every passing day.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Thank you for the review, the picture and the story. I enjoyed all three.
Thank you, Matchu. I enjoyed the stuffin' out of the story. But you should be offended by the art the editors chose to go with the story and the essay.:-D Or maybe you're not part of the "community" Facebook's trying to protect.