Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

A bit early, but... (1 Viewer)

S

silverwriter

...any plans yet?

i've already been scribbling notes on my legal pad. i've decided to write the first ever forum story nano.

i AM going to do it this year and FINISH.

valeca

Patron
I had a story idea kicking around my head, and about a month ago, I decided it'd be my 2006 NaNo. The problem now is, I keep thinking about it and I can't start it for another 6 weeks or so. If I over-think it, I'll get bored of it before it even has a chance at life. I've compromised enough to allow myself the occasional plot-thought, but it's a battle.

For those interested, sign ups begin Oct. 1st.

Oh, and silver, darling...wanna race? Heh.

starpanda

I going to do NaNo this year. I'm a NaNo virgin. Have you any tips/lessons learned before I plunge into the great unknown?

Selorian

Patron
I have a few ideas floating around in my head, but I like waiting till October to start seriously planning my NaNo.

Starpanda, a few tips: Just write, don't stop to go back and edit, accept that what you write will mostly be crap with a few nuggets of gold sprinkled throughout, and meet or exceed the daily word count (don't fall behind because it's easy to not catch up).

Silver, now you've done it. valeca will be finished in three days now.

Hakeem

This is the first time for me too.

I divided 50,000 on 25 days, and 2000 word per day looks pretty scary..

starpanda

Yeah it is a bit scary. I currently have no idea what I'm going to do for it. I have this vision of me, sat at my laptop, fingers poised on the keys and absolutely nothing coming to mind.

Maybe you and i caould have a race Hakeem. it would keep us both on track

Hakeem

starpanda said:
Yeah it is a bit scary. I currently have no idea what I'm going to do for it. I have this vision of me, sat at my laptop, fingers poised on the keys and absolutely nothing coming to mind.

Maybe you and i caould have a race Hakeem. it would keep us both on track
Yup.. that's me you're talking about.

Okay, I'm in. Don't expect me to win it though, it's my firstie. :)

starpanda

Great! I think just so long as we both reach the word target we both shoudl win! keep me posted on how your the ideas for it are going.

I'm drawing a blank at the moment...

Hakeem

haha... I am empty of ideas as well.

Keep me posted as well, may the best man win!.. err.. woman..

kagechaos

silverwriter said:
...any plans yet?

i've already been scribbling notes on my legal pad. i've decided to write the first ever forum story nano.

i AM going to do it this year and FINISH.

sweet. sorry, i'm reading this thread for the first time, i think....

anyway, i've already started several MS Word documents to put down ideas and outlines and whatnot. i would use a notepad, but i'd lose it before november...

S

silverwriter

Selorian said:
Silver, now you've done it. valeca will be finished in three days now.

i think Mark will know just how to keep me going. ;) maybe i'll be enough of a challenge for her to finish it in two?

silver

valeca

Patron
Two is out of the question for me. So is three, for that matter. I have a lot less free time this year. That, and I've promised I won't run off with my word count this year.

First NaNo - 25 days
Second NaNo - 21 days
Third NaNo - 8 days.

I think I'll aim for around the two week mark this year. It sounds reasonable, and a pace you can keep up with, silver. ;)

S

silverwriter

Here, finally typed it up:

The NaNo Virgin’s Guide to NaNo

1. It doesn’t matter how you’re feeling at the time, when you’re smack talking, you’ll do everything better, faster, and might just write a second one while waiting for everyone else to catch up.

2. Don’t be intimidated by people who have completed their NaNos (on time, mind you). Go right for the “big fish.” The smack talk is half the fun.

3. Setting a goal for so many words per day is actually very helpful and might be more helpful than you think,

4. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your fellow NaNo participants; you never know just who might be going through the exact same thing you are.

5. Going along with number four: don’t be afraid to ask. About anything. From how to get over your most recent block in writing to just how many cups of coffee you can drink before it starts becoming detrimental to your health.

6. If you don’t want anyone to read your work, then no one will. Don’t worry about if others will like it. Go ahead and add those monkey ninjas.

7. The NaNo site where you register also has a forum. Look for the writingforums.com group and have some fun.

8. The NaNo site is also useful for hooking up with friends (other than WF people), posting a bit about yourself as well as a small section of your NaNo, checking out stats, and for turning in your word count as often as you want.

9. Everything is a balance. Sometimes life can overwhelm and take you away from you’re writing. Don’t stress. You get an icon if you finish on time, and it’s not as if you get punished if you don’t make it. (I didn’t finish last year’s NaNo until this past February.)

10. NaNo is a lot of fun all around. Don’t be intimidated by anyone or lose heart if you fall a bit behind. We’re all there because we love writing, love a hint of competition, and also like a challenge.

L

linimis

the idea really scares me. i'm not sure iv'e ever written as much as 50thousand words for one story. and in 30 days?

mayeb I should just leave it to the ones who know what their doing.

starpanda

Silver - thanks for the guide. i am already following some of your points.

Linimis - have a go...even if you don't finish, i think it would be a good learning experience, i know that's why I'm doing it...that and sometimes i need a good kicking to get into gear...

Starpanda

Hakeem

Starpanda, I think I'm a little bit ahead of you. Planned the characters, setting, plot, storyline, conflicts, ...etc.

How about... you?

starpanda

Hi Hakeem
Argh...I obviously need to catch up. I had an idea for a novel, based on a place in my home town (it's small but definitely wierd) - its about a retirement village that is built on the site of an old mental asylum and some strange occurances that go on there.

So far I have my main charcter, an elderly resident called Harry Jackson who wakes up in the middle of the night to see a dark shadowy figure standing over his wife. He is completely paralysed...

I'm thinking he believes its sleep paralysis (thanks for that thread guys and gals), not knowing that other residents and staff are having other strange things happen to them. its only when his wife dies does he think otherwise...

Thats as far as i have got...I have no idea where its going to go from there

Starpanda